Bold 2017 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

A large portion of eagles fans will still boo Ballantyne when he gets the ball in his first game in blue and yellow
I think about 20-30 will scattered around the ground.

That will change to a few fair more when his form inevitably doesn't improve, can't keep his feet and does stupid s**t on the ground.

Emac to struggle to gain a spot in best 22.
Later in the year he retires to begin the next stage on his life.
Which happens to be Elvis impersonating.
West Coast Eagles would like to wish Eric the best in his future endeavours.

emac elvis.jpg

Emac to struggle to gain a spot in best 22.
Later in the year he retires to begin the next stage on his life.
Which happens to be Elvis impersonating.
West Coast Eagles would like to wish Eric the best in his future endeavours.

View attachment 297356
That picture looks shopped

Dunno, something about it...

My 2017 predictions.

I will lose 20kgs
I will hopefully be done with my degree
I might finally move out of home.
30s_ranatunga,0.jpg

That's enough outlandish predictions for one day ;)

I hope that my girlfriend won't bring up our relationship every day.
I hope that my girlfriend won't want to talk about her feelings every day.

And I hope West Coast match committee blood more young players and let them play a few games in a row before they drop them back to the WAFL for some mid-range player who is never going to get any better.

Bold huh. Hmm. We have another ordinary year and in a bombshell the playing group move's on Simmo with a vote of no confidence, ending his career.

I also think we could win the GF if we can turn around the onfield attitude problems that rule us out of most competitive matches, and hope we do. But thats just hope, not bold or a prediction.

Simpsons confession at the club championships, meant to be a moment of levity i'm sure, that he is still angry and sulking over the season just indicates to me he hasn't got the answers to those problems. He's a man who seems to lament and resent the playing group for not being more professional, passionate, and hardened and its true, they aren't. But if you have the tools to do something about it you're not still angry about wasted opportunities of 5/6 weeks ago, you're excited to engage the players and put your plans into place over the off season. If you have the skill set to do something about it its not still the clubs biggest problem 3 years into your contract. To my mind he doesn't have that skill set, he's not enjoying the job, and its a drain on morale and sooner or later the players will realise its either appeal to the board to turf him or waste another season of their short AFL careers. We're a middle of the road club under Simpson, under a Luke Beverage we probably win the last 2. Just my opinion.

Bold huh. Hmm. We have another ordinary year and in a bombshell the playing group move's on Simmo with a vote of no confidence, ending his career.

I also think we could win the GF if we can turn around the onfield attitude problems that rule us out of most competitive matches, and hope we do. But thats just hope, not bold or a prediction.

Simpsons confession at the club championships, meant to be a moment of levity i'm sure, that he is still angry and sulking over the season just indicates to me he hasn't got the answers to those problems. He's a man who seems to lament and resent the playing group for not being more professional, passionate, and hardened and its true, they aren't. But if you have the tools to do something about it you're not still angry about wasted opportunities of 5/6 weeks ago, you're excited to engage the players and put your plans into place over the off season. If you have the skill set to do something about it its not still the clubs biggest problem 3 years into your contract. To my mind he doesn't have that skill set, he's not enjoying the job, and its a drain on morale and sooner or later the players will realise its either appeal to the board to turf him or waste another season of their short AFL careers. We're a middle of the road club under Simpson, under a Luke Beverage we probably win the last 2. Just my opinion.
I strongly disagree with this statement about Simmo and most coaches. Yes some get too much leeway, but to put this on our coach is not fair. Why can't a club finally just come out and put players on notice and trade out a fair few of these middle of the road established players. Why do the players always get the better end of the stick.

I strongly disagree with this statement about Simmo and most coaches. Yes some get too much leeway, but to put this on our coach is not fair. Why can't a club finally just come out and put players on notice and trade out a fair few of these middle of the road established players. Why do the players always get the better end of the stick.

I've got no issue with trading out players or dropping players who don't perform. I've identified the ones I've thought were the prime offenders on a weekly basis during the season and would being doing cartwheels around the lounge room if anything actually happened about it some day. That said, who's the senior coach who's not making those calls? If the clubs at fault for not moving on the players how does that excuse the senior coach from criticism or responsibility?

I think we've got a good list. I think that even with Nic out for 2017 there is great scope for optimism given the emergence of Tom Barrass and the freedom that allows to move Gov to centre half forward. That switch alone could more than offset the loss on a ruckman all other things being equal, and with home ground advantage we should make the 8 again where guess what maybe we get Nic back for finals and go in full strength.

BUT! Its glaringly obvious to me we have an enthusiasm and self belief problem, thats just the overwhelming vibe I'm feeling. And as the Bulldogs just proved enthusiasm and self belief can win you premierships even when you have no right on paper doing so. Simpsons has strengths as a coach, and like anyone he also has weaknesses. One of his weaknesses just reading the body language, his demeanour, his choice of words etc just about every time he fronts the media is just a lack of energy. He's the Jeb Bush of AFl coaches, he's Mr. Low Energy. Over time that can just be a drain on the people around you. The way the team performs, to my eyes, just looks like a direct correlation to the energy Simpson brings to the role.

Thats where I personally see us sitting as a club, as a group with significant sports psychology problems lead by a coach who is not strong on that front. I can happily concede he may well know everything there is to know about the game and be perfectly experienced and credentialed to lead an AFL club, but as a supporter I don't buy into his messaging at all. And I don't think the players do either. Wish I was wrong. Waiting to be proven wrong. Hope I'm proven wrong in 2017. This is a prediction thread though and my bold prediction stands, if we continue to tread water in 2017 instead of leaping forward significantly then eventually it falls on the players to word up the CEO and the board. It might not be fair, but at the end of the day its easier to swap out one bloke than 40, ask Mick Malthouse, Scott Watters, Brendon McCarthy, Guy McKenna, Brenton Sanderson or whoever else we're lead to believe lost his job after losing the group.

BUT! Its glaringly obvious to me we have an enthusiasm and self belief problem, thats just the overwhelming vibe I'm feeling. And as the Bulldogs just proved enthusiasm and self belief can win you premierships even when you have no right on paper doing so. Simpsons has strengths as a coach, and like anyone he also has weaknesses. One of his weaknesses just reading the body language, his demeanour, his choice of words etc just about every time he fronts the media is just a lack of energy. He's the Jeb Bush of AFl coaches, he's Mr. Low Energy. Over time that can just be a drain on the people around you. The way the team performs, to my eyes, just looks like a direct correlation to the energy Simpson brings to the role.

Thats where I personally see us sitting as a club, as a group with significant sports psychology problems lead by a coach who is not strong on that front. I can happily concede he may well know everything there is to know about the game and be perfectly experienced and credentialed to lead an AFL club, but as a supporter I don't buy into his messaging at all. And I don't think the players do either. Wish I was wrong. Waiting to be proven wrong. Hope I'm proven wrong in 2017. This is a prediction thread though and my bold prediction stands, if we continue to tread water in 2017 instead of leaping forward significantly then eventually it falls on the players to word up the CEO and the board.

I would like to know how you can be certain of this from your lounge room, that the players are not buying into the message? A coach has to be very careful of his demeanour in the public eye. You get criticised for being an a-hole or you get criticised for having no personality. Can't win.
I'd be very surprised if Simpson's job was on the line at the end of next season if the eagles don't make the finals, considering Naitanui is out and Lycett might get a delayed start to the season. Very surprised....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to know how you can be certain of this from your lounge room, that the players are not buying into the message? A coach has to be very careful of his demeanour in the public eye. You get criticised for being an a-hole or you get criticised for having no personality. Can't win.
I'd be very surprised if Simpson's job was on the line at the end of next season if the eagles don't make the finals, considering Naitanui is out and Lycett might get a delayed start to the season. Very surprised....

You're right, I am judging this from my lounge room. Thats why I though I took pains to say that this is my impression, how I see things from a distance, the feeling I get etc. I'm not certain that its true Simpson is imperfect because as you point out I'm not a player or staff or connected to the inner circle at the club. I am certain that this is the feeling I get though and I thought that was fair game.

Obviously opinions differ on Simpson. Obviously you take the position of being a lot less critical of players, coaches and the club than most on here and as a moderator that is agreeable. We won 16 games this year, we played finals, we were knocked out by the eventual premiers. You could argue the glass looks more than half full, like I said I still believe it is and have optimist for 2017. I still had optimism for 2016 even after Nic did his knee.

I'm pretty damn sure though that I'm not alone in thinking this was a frustrating season, that even in our wins we were far from convincing, and that the club has a habit of performing poorly in big games. I'm just saying I get a vibe from Simpson that he's not an elite motivator of men, given he's the leader of a club that struggles to lift for big occasions and isn't improving in that space 3 year into Simpsons contract. You're basically saying well unless you're in the rooms you shouldn't be speculating whether Simpson is a good motivator or not. Can't win indeed.

You're right, I am judging this from my lounge room. Thats why I though I took pains to say that this is my impression, how I see things from a distance, the feeling I get etc. I'm not certain that its true Simpson is imperfect because as you point out I'm not a player or staff or connected to the inner circle at the club. I am certain that this is the feeling I get though and I thought that was fair game.

Obviously opinions differ on Simpson. Obviously you take the position of being a lot less critical of players, coaches and the club than most on here and as a moderator that is agreeable. We won 16 games this year, we played finals, we were knocked out by the eventual premiers. You could argue the glass looks more than half full, like I said I still believe it is and have optimist for 2017. I still had optimism for 2016 even after Nic did his knee.

I'm pretty damn sure though that I'm not alone in thinking this was a frustrating season, that even in our wins we were far from convincing, and that the club has a habit of performing poorly in big games. I'm just saying I get a vibe from Simpson that he's not an elite motivator of men, given he's the leader of a club that struggles to lift for big occasions and isn't improving in that space 3 year into Simpsons contract. You're basically saying well unless you're in the rooms you shouldn't be speculating whether Simpson is a good motivator or not. Can't win indeed.
Don't get me wrong, that's OK, because I do it with Swan Districts, except there I can talk to the trainers or go into the change rooms and get a real feel of what is going on.
No, I don't take the position of being less critical, but I got in trouble, well not really trouble just spoken to a couple of times, at junior footy, because I asked my players to make a contest but used the term can someone just hit number XX. I didn't mean hit behind play or anything like that but I had to make sure my team understood that as I was criticised for it. I believe in hard, tough football where there are no beg your pardons and you arm wrestle over who hits the contest the hardest and basically set the tone early. I completely agree we didn't set the tone in the final. The three games before that we did. Did we become complacent in those 3 games?
I also disagree on the state of the list. Not sure it is as good as you think. I think we were/are waiting/hoping that certain players come good. Some are young so they are excused because they have only been in the system 2-3 years. Let's be brutal here, we were hoping Alec Waterman came good. I agree with the decision to move him off the list. He may come good and I think he has talent, I like the way the kid plays, but you can't stay on a list in hope. Kane Lucas, not even sure what he brought in the first place, but now he's gone. Adamson, again, how long do you wait for them to come good?, agree with the decision. Cavka, made the decision early, was an unfortunate set of circumstances, but correct decision to pull the trigger. My opinion is Naitanui glosses over a lot of the gaps in the midfield area, which is not bad but not in the top half dozen either.

Eagles predictions
The Eagles will finish top 4 and the media will blame it on the easy draw we got for finishing 7th this season. There will be calls for the draw to be based on "games won" rather than the 666 method currently being used.
Jack Redden, Liam Duggan and Eric McKenzie will have big impacts next year
An end to the East Perth alignment will be announced
Jack Darling will kick more goals than Josh Kennedy
The Eagles will host a final at the new "Shandong" stadium.

The Rest
Bucks, Brad Scott and Eade will be under the pump to keep their jobs
"The recruit" will run next year but will be for females
The AFL will announce a night grand final for 2018
Some ex Melbourne commentator will say that Jack Watts has had a better career than Naitanui

Edit: And GSW will be the NBA champs
Jack Redden, Liam Duggan and Eric McKenzie will have big impacts next year - we actually have a lot of upside. Throw in Jetta and a full season of Shred, we might actually hold our own.
"The recruit" will run next year but will be for females - underrated prediction. You should be a tv producer Beutbrute
The AFL will announce a night grand final for 2018 - strong possibility.
Jack Darling will kick more goals than Josh Kennedy - you've lost your credibility.

Don't get me wrong, that's OK, because I do it with Swan Districts, except there I can talk to the trainers or go into the change rooms and get a real feel of what is going on.
No, I don't take the position of being less critical, but I got in trouble, well not really trouble just spoken to a couple of times, at junior footy, because I asked my players to make a contest but used the term can someone just hit number XX. I didn't mean hit behind play or anything like that but I had to make sure my team understood that as I was criticised for it. I believe in hard, tough football where there are no beg your pardons and you arm wrestle over who hits the contest the hardest and basically set the tone early. I completely agree we didn't set the tone in the final. The three games before that we did. Did we become complacent in those 3 games?
I also disagree on the state of the list. Not sure it is as good as you think. I think we were/are waiting/hoping that certain players come good. Some are young so they are excused because they have only been in the system 2-3 years. Let's be brutal here, we were hoping Alec Waterman came good. I agree with the decision to move him off the list. He may come good and I think he has talent, I like the way the kid plays, but you can't stay on a list in hope. Kane Lucas, not even sure what he brought in the first place, but now he's gone. Adamson, again, how long do you wait for them to come good?, agree with the decision. Cavka, made the decision early, was an unfortunate set of circumstances, but correct decision to pull the trigger. My opinion is Naitanui glosses over a lot of the gaps in the midfield area, which is not bad but not in the top half dozen either.

I think the problem with the final began with some suspect team selection and went downhill from there, not setting the tone early didn't help for certain. Swans are my team in the WAFL too but I must confess to being a supporter in name only, haven't been to a game since I was a kid, haven't watched one on TV in I don't know. Be interested to know if Crowley is coming back now the Essendon thing in over?

To me, if you draw a line down the ground from full forward to full back that goes Kennedy, McGovern, Lycett, Barrass, Schofield and your best 3 midfielders are the 2014 Brownlow medalist, 2015 All Australian, 2016 Club Champion you shouldn't be complaining too much about the list. We can improve it but I think we went into the 2016 with a pass mark from champion data or whoever it was as having the best list in the competition coming off that GF. Simpsons got a lot to work with, the other coaches would be looking at him when he rues his options with a shake of the head #firstworldproblems. We need to be striving to be a club thats improving in all area's all the time and borrowing Ross Lyons no excuses football club cliche. If we do, there's no ceiling on 2017. If we don't, my prediction is marked for the record.

I think the problem with the final began with some suspect team selection and went downhill from there, not setting the tone early didn't help for certain. Swans are my team in the WAFL too but I must confess to being a supporter in name only, haven't been to a game since I was a kid, haven't watched one on TV in I don't know. Be interested to know if Crowley is coming back now the Essendon thing in over?

To me, if you draw a line down the ground from full forward to full back that goes Kennedy, McGovern, Lycett, Barrass, Schofield and your best 3 midfielders are the 2014 Brownlow medalist, 2015 All Australian, 2016 Club Champion you shouldn't be complaining too much about the list. We can improve it but I think we went into the 2016 with a pass mark from champion data or whoever it was as having the best list in the competition coming off that GF. Simpsons got a lot to work with, the other coaches would be looking at him when he rues his options with a shake of the head #firstworldproblems. We need to be striving to be a club thats improving in all area's all the time and borrowing Ross Lyons no excuses football club cliche. If we do, there's no ceiling on 2017. If we don't, my prediction is marked for the record.
You didn't miss much not seeing Swans on TV, mark my words... Crowley supposedly had an agreement to come back to Swans after Essendon.

I don't expect Simpson will be sitting in his office going, we'll just mark time until Naitanui gets back. If he is a professional, which I think he is, he'll be using this pre-season to develop players and develop different players. We need the 2nd and 3rd tier players to step up.

Almost all players to regress in form, bar some mediocre players who will maintain their mediocrity.
Fremantle to finish higher on the ladder.

How many Freo supporters are there on this board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back