Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
IMG_7861.gif

Firstly welcome to BovBall. The only game where a golf style of scoring is guaranteed to give you a cricket test score (which ironically is probably similar to my real golf abilities)

What the hell is BovBall?
Bovball is a ladder prediction game with a twist. Before round 1 of the season everyone who wants to play simply posts a SFA ladder. Simple. That's it!
What is the "twist"?
Great question! After every round in the SFA Home and Away rounds, your predicted ladder will be compared to that round ladder. For every team you will score points based on where you placed them compared to where they reside on that round ladder.

How does the point system work?
Okay let's assume you put the Roys as first place. After round 1 Roys are in 7th spot. So on the Roys alone you will have a score of 6 because the Roys are 6 spots away from where you predicted them. Now let's say in Round 2 Roys are first, so this will give you a score of zero because they are in the same spot and your overall score remains at 6. This goes on for all rounds, but for every team in the ladder. So you are scored for every team with this formula across every home and away round, yes every team. Remember the scoring works both ways, so if you had Roys last and they finish first, you still get a point for every spot that is different.

What happens if two people pick the same ladder?
Well two people will have the same scores. That's just how it goes!

What if two people finish first?
I have thought long and hard about this one, but I feel it's only fair they should fight to the death.

So basically my only commitment is to post a ladder at he beginning of the season for this game and that's it?
exactly! I have been working on this project under the cover of darkness for a while. The aim is to add to this amazing SFA concept with another fun game. The game within The Game

What's the comparison to golf?
Like golf, the lower your overall score the better and the person with the lowest Total at the end of the game is crowned the winner.

If people have any other questions, I'll gladly answer them.

Last edited:
Can I make a suggestion?

Thanks. Make the final round double - no, TRIPLE - points, in order to incentivise getting as close to the end of season ladder as possible. Or better still, take off points. If you pick Roy to come first and they do at the end of the home & away season, you lose 12 points. If they come second you lose 11 points, all the way to if they finish bottom you lose nil points.

Can I make a suggestion?

Thanks. Make the final round double - no, TRIPLE - points, in order to incentivise getting as close to the end of season ladder as possible. Or better still, take off points. If you pick Roy to come first and they do at the end of the home & away season, you lose 12 points. If they come second you lose 11 points, all the way to if they finish bottom you lose nil points.
Well in my testing I used a randomiser to randomise what my test players would pick and the round ladder positions. Trust me we don’t need to add triple or double points, but I love the idea of rewarding a point reduction based on the number of correct positions at the final round.

Well in my testing I used a randomiser to randomise what my test players would pick and the round ladder positions. Trust me we don’t need to add triple or double points, but I love the idea of rewarding a point reduction based on the number of correct positions at the final round.
You use Randomizor as well? Man he sure gets around!

Starting a S38 competition when there's still 5 weeks remaining in S37?

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Starting a S38 competition when there's still 5 weeks remaining in S37?

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF
It’s an education session in readiness. It also gives us a number of weeks to maybe add a few tweaks to the game. I’ll definitely be taking what Tonga Bob suggested as a good little tweak for example

It’s an education session in readiness. It also gives us a number of weeks to maybe add a few tweaks to the game. I’ll definitely be taking what Tonga Bob suggested as a good little tweak for example
I am now invested in your competition.

If people have any other questions, I'll gladly answer them.
Why is osmium considered the densest metal known to man, yet iridium in its cubic close packed form is denser?

Why is osmium considered the densest metal known to man, yet iridium in its cubic close packed form is denser?
I’m glad someone finally had the courage to speak up about this. In my experience, it’s been too long considered a taboo subject. But you know, after a few beers around a campfire, I think everyone agrees that osium is normally the denser of the two. Beer really is the answer here!

I’m glad someone finally had the courage to speak up about this. In my experience, it’s been too long considered a taboo subject. But you know, after a few beers around a campfire, I think everyone agrees that osium is normally the denser of the two. Beer really is the answer here!

Beer is always the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if you forget to submit a ladder and still want to play?

Asking for all the lazy-arse posters who couldn’t organise themselves to miss something they already forgot.

Asking for all the lazy-arse posters who couldn’t organise themselves to miss something they already forgot.
They get a ladder listed alphabetically. At least that's what I'd imagine Bovo saying.

What I plan to do is create a BovBall ladder submission thread after this season’s finals are finished and I’ll tag each of the captains to encourage them to get their players involved. But as soon as round 1 has started the ability to submit a ladder will be closed to new entries for the integrity of the game.

Okay, for this first upcoming season, I don't want to change things too much because I would like to see how it goes. If the game remains popular, I'm happy to look at changing a few things around. The only thing I have changed is scoring -15 instead of zero for a team in the right position. You mas say whoah Bovo, -15 is extreme, but I say unto you; there are what? 13 teams in SFA? let's assume that every team in your ladder is just 2 spots out. You will end up with a score of 26. Now do the maths if they are 5 or 6 out each. In my testing, a -15 for random positions still gives out total scores > 700 which is fine because this is not a game of golf, it's just using the golfing principle of lowest overall score wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back