The Law Boy off to court for recieving a stolen 70 cent Freddo frog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Borry

Protected Species
Aug 15, 2004
You never never know if you never never go.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Sydney
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national...o?cmp=nl_news_16november2009_8&mch=newsletter

A 12-year-old boy will fight charges that he received a chocolate Freddo frog allegedly stolen from a supermarket in regional Western Australia.
A lawyer for the boy, who appeared in Northam Children's Court on Monday, said he would plead not guilty to the two charges of receiving, which carry similar penalties to those of theft.
The boy is alleged to have received the chocolate from a friend who had stolen it from a supermarket and to have received a novelty sign stolen from another store.
The combined value of the frog and the sign is no more than several dollars.
Police said outside the court that the boy's arrest and charging was justified and that he had previously come to their notice without being charged.
Acting Superintendent Peter Halliday, of Northam police, said charges against juveniles as young as 12 were only laid as a last resort.
"It's not about the value, it's about stopping children from offending," Supt Halliday told reporters.
He denied there were any racial overtones to the matter and said police employed a number of methods to try to keep juveniles out of the court, including cautions and the use of juvenile justice teams.
"When they don't work it's entirely appropriate that we escalate matters to the children's court," he said.
He said it was a matter of "needing to do the right thing not only by the community but also by the child involved".
WA Aboriginal Legal Service chief lawyer Peter Collins, who is acting for the boy, would not comment on the matter outside court.
He had earlier described the prosecution as "scandalous" and said the situation was unlikely to have arisen if the boy had come from a "middle class, non-Aboriginal family" in Perth.
Mr Collins told Fairfax Radio network and the ABC on Monday that the boy had missed a court appearance last month because of a family misunderstanding.
He said when arrested, he had been apprehended at school and imprisoned for several hours in a holding cell at the local police station.
"The conditions in those cells are appalling and completely ill-equipped to hold young children," he said.
"The fact of the matter is he's 12, and these are the most trivial charges imaginable, and it can hardly be a justification for this kid to be brushed up against the courts to teach him a bit of a lesson.
"It's not hard to imagine that if this had happened to a non-Aboriginal kid from an affluent Perth suburb with professional parents that this wouldn't be the situation."
The boy was bailed to appear in court again on February 22 for the setting of a trial date.
WA Premier Colin Barnett said any questions to government on the matter should be referred to Attorney-General Christian Porter, but said he suspected "there is more to the case" than had so far been reported.
"I suspect there's more to it than a Freddo frog," Mr Barnett told reporters

Saw a policeman interviewed about it on the news last night, and while he wouldn't comment on the case, he was very clear that they always tried a number of other things before taking someone to court, and this wouldn't be done if they had any hope of the other cases succeeding.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing this kid, and/or his mates/family have done a lot, been counselled, etc and nothing had worked, so the cops got sick of it, and after however many warnings went 'zero tolerance' to try and break the pattern.

so they are more qualified than social workers, or another professional? Heavy handed does not even begin to overstate it. What happened to the kid who flogged the $1.20 sweet, which prolly wholesales at 80 cents. What is the psychological threshold for chomping a chocolate passed to you, versus stealing it. Twelve years old, a chocolate, dare say the implications are not canvassed.

Is this a small country town? Would this be missed if it was in Perth. Too many ne'er do well youth, one more will just be one of many, and not stand out, if at all recognised.

Sounds awfully white man paternalistic is these very superficial terms.

Should take him aside and say 'don't do it again' in a stern voice, then give him a hug for positive reinforcement. That'll work. :rolleyes:

Either the kid is a little s**t and shopkeepers, teachers etc. are sick of having no power to deal with him, or, there's a huge conspiracy. I'd go with the former.

Didn't take the apologists long.

And we wonder why we have such high rates of black incarceration in this country. The more things change the more they stay the same :(

Should take him aside and say 'don't do it again' in a stern voice, then give him a hug for positive reinforcement. That'll work. :rolleyes:

Either the kid is a little s**t and shopkeepers, teachers etc. are sick of having no power to deal with him, or, there's a huge conspiracy. I'd go with the former.
can see you have a masters in social work

so they are more qualified than social workers, or another professional? Heavy handed does not even begin to overstate it. What happened to the kid who flogged the $1.20 sweet, which prolly wholesales at 80 cents. What is the psychological threshold for chomping a chocolate passed to you, versus stealing it. Twelve years old, a chocolate, dare say the implications are not canvassed.

How hard is it not to flog s**t?

There are concequenses to actions. It's not like this was an accident. WHy shoudl anyone respect the law if they don;t have to? Well done I say.

I thought it was clear from the comments that this kid had been cautioned a number of times in the past for various reasons. Looks like the last straw to me.

What's the age of criminal responsibility in WA? Has this kid just reached it after being a cheeky s**t when he was younger knowing he couldn't be touched.

Race doesn't come into it at all, they've essentially said they have had problems with this kid for a while, I'd expect this for any repeat offender.

"… there is evidence that one of the problems with the criminal justice system today is that it is often too lenient towards Indigenous offenders, especially when it concerns violence against other Indigenous people (usually family members). The system may be compounding problems of social disorder in Aboriginal society by treating Indigenous offenders as victims of deeper social and historical factors". [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]​

[/FONT]

Noel Pearson, December 30-31 2006

The whole article is worth reading.

If race isn't a factor then how to you explain the hugely disproportinate rate at which blacks get charged with petty offences like this, get found guilty in the criminal justice system, the harshness of the sentence, and the subsequent rates of incarceration and recidivism and ultimately deaths in custody?

Nothing has changed since the Royal Comission. Shameful s**t.

If race isn't a factor then how to you explain the hugely disproportinate rate at which blacks get charged with petty offences like this, get found guilty in the criminal justice system, the harshness of the sentence, and the subsequent rates of incarceration and recidivism and ultimately deaths in custody?

Maybe because, um, they actually commit more offences?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet you that if you consider the socio-economic group that the offenders come from it is hardly 'hugely disproportionate'.

It's a fact that aboriginals are more likely to come from a low income background.

It's also true that you get more criminal little shits from that section of society.

Think back to your school days. I can picture numerous kids who shoplifted/smoked/did drugs/wagged regularly/abused teachers/got into fights

They all all had something in common and it wasn't their race - it was deadshit parents.

I thought it was clear from the comments that this kid had been cautioned a number of times in the past for various reasons. Looks like the last straw to me.

What's the age of criminal responsibility in WA? Has this kid just reached it after being a cheeky s**t when he was younger knowing he couldn't be touched.

Race doesn't come into it at all, they've essentially said they have had problems with this kid for a while, I'd expect this for any repeat offender.
such a straw breaking camels back right? More like a straw man. He got a freddo frog off some other little critter who stole it, and this puts one over the edge? If he was selling a little baggy of something, yeah, but a chocolate frog, you are kidding me.

such a straw braking camels back right? More like a straw man. He got a freddo frog off some other little critter who stole it, and this puts one over the edge? If he was selling a little baggy of something, yeah, but a chocolate frog, you are kidding me.

Having also worked in a supermarket when I was younger I'm well aware of young gangs of kiddies who wait outside while one of them comes in and tries to nick something to take back. no sympathy for thieves regardless of the value of the item.

The police haven't discussed specifics but it sounds like this kid has been a trouble maker for a while and it's likely that he has been told a few times to stop stealing stuff, probably even told directly that if they catch him again they'll arrest him.

Then they catch him and suddenly he is just a 12 year old little boy.

What would your course of action have been?

What if after whatever you did he did it again?

And then again?

And again, knowing that it was just a freddo and you wouldn't do anything.

I guarantee you that if this was the first they had seen of this kid they absolutely wouldn't have arrested him. He has a history.

Didn't take the apologists long.

And we wonder why we have such high rates of black incarceration in this country. The more things change the more they stay the same :(

Followed closely by the bleeding heart excusers who love to play the old discrimination/race card!

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Nick85 but a thief is a thief.

Today it's a 70c chocolate frog, tomorrow it's a $2 one, where are you going to draw the line? It would get too subjective.

Race had nothing to do with the police getting him, but let's face it many native communities have had trouble living under the white man's law.

This is ****ing ridiculous. It doesn't matter whether someone's been a problem in the past. That's not how the law works.

For any other person, especially a white one, this case would never proceed to court. So it shouldn't for this kid.

I also want to point out that this case highlights the idiocy of mandantory sentencing laws. If this was his third offence and he was in a place where these laws still existed, he'd be off to detention, where he has sweet f.a. chance of ever being rehabilitated, and would more than likely just end up in the system.

And nice work equating this kid's freddo frog to assault, cancat.

Noel Pearson's point is that often violent Aboriginal offenders escape punishment for assaults that white Australians would receive quite severe sentences for.

In this case, never in a hundred million years would a white kid go to court for the same 'crime'.

I doubt Noel Perason would take much joy in this.

Actually, a person's past has much to do with it, like it or not. More often than not this is a good thing as we get get some sort of indication the type of people we are dealing with.

Geez people are really rolling out the barrels today, it's no wonder I laugh at ultra-leftist reasoning.

RaceCardSharpJack.jpg

This is Chewbacca, Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now, think about that. That does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee - an eight foot tall Wookiee - want to live on Endor with a bunch of two foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! What does that have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! None of this makes sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests!

This is ****ing ridiculous. It doesn't matter whether someone's been a problem in the past. That's not how the law works.

I don't know what law you're talking about but it certainly isn't our justice system.

Police are given discretionary powers to caution, whether or not they exercise those powers or not most certainly depends on the past history of a person.

You get caught speeding by a little bit you'll probably get a caution, if it happens again you'll get a fine.

Perhaps this kid and his friend have been stealing freddos every day, if so would you agree with the police eventually saying enough is enough?

Past history is also taken into account in sentencing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back