The Law Boy off to court for recieving a stolen 70 cent Freddo frog.

Remove this Banner Ad

57531373.Freddo.jpg
freddo-frog-08_large.jpg

Dude, that's her defense for everything.

Person: I don't like beans.
Mantis: You racist.

Love the way you are all ignoring the cops doing a backflip, saying this child has never done anything wrong.

How do you people sleep at night, hating anyone who is different from you? :rolleyes:

Love the way you are all ignoring the cops doing a backflip, saying this child has never done anything wrong.

How do you people sleep at night, hating anyone who is different from you? :rolleyes:

1. I haven't actually stated my opinion on the case.
2. I was pointing out you use the race card far far too much.
3. I'm not racist.
4. You are a woefully inadequate human being.
:)

Police senor management are now all 'diversity' conscious. Very keen to under report crimes of minority ethnic groups.

See how Nixon mislead the public in regards to crimes by Sudanese and Somalis.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...sun/comments/nixon_proves_it_she_did_mislead/

It doesn't help either the general community or the ethnic community to be soft on crime because of someone's ethnicity - see my earlier quote from Noel Pearson.

In this case the police senior management have undermined the officers on the ground. Hence the backflip in the statements. They have obviously given this kid a few chances but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I wonder how many black kids unnecessarily enter the criminal justice system in WA because they don't have the benefit of media outrage and a special letter from the police comissioner?

And the people advocating the use of the criminal justice system over a Freddo Frog either have absolutely no experience with the criminal justice system (hing: we should be doing everything within our power to keep kids OUT of the system, regardless of race, if we don't want to breed a new generation of instutionalise criminals), or are a bunch of vindictive, ****ing *****.

Shouldn't even be a news item. Public need to know my arse.
11yo has freddo frog, who cares, deal with it and shut up.

And, Nick, you left out some more important comments from the police:

He said in his opinion, the matter could be better dealt with through agencies other than the court.

"I think we are making a reasonable decision about this," he told Fairfax Radio.
add news.com.au to iGoogle

"Ultimately the problem has to be fixed and one of the things we have to do to fix this problem is call in the other services which are responsible for working with families.

"Now police don't need to take it on themselves to sort out every problem in the community, there are other agencies out there to do that."

He said the magistrate could have already been expected to send the case back to the juvenile justice team when it was dealt with next year.

"I've asked for the charge to be withdrawn and for the matter to be referred back to the juvenile justice team, which I suspect is pretty well what the magistrate would do when it's heard in April anyway," he said.

Which is pretty much what Mantis and blackcat were actually saying (I'm a little less tolerant myself), that there are much, much better ways of dealing with wayward kids - especially in indigenous communities - than putting them into the criminal justice system, which will do nothing except turn a wayward kid into a hardened crim.

And the legal aid guy says it all really:

WA Aboriginal Legal Service chief lawyer Peter Collins, who is acting for the boy, had earlier described the prosecution as "scandalous".

He said it was unlikely to have arisen if the boy had come from a "middle class, non-Aboriginal family" in Perth.

It is laughably unlikely that a kid from a white, middle class community would have been treated this way by the police. And only the most starry eyed idealist, or the most vile racist, would think otherwise.

A good article from Chris Cuneen, law professor at UNSW

Aboriginal young people are more likely to be arrested, charged and placed before the courts than non-Aboriginal young people detained for similar offences and with similar prior records. For example, research in NSW in the early 1990s found that if two girls, both without prior records, were detained for shoplifting by police, then the non-Aboriginal girl was more than twice as likely to receive a caution from the police officer. For the non-Aboriginal girl, the matter ended there. The Aboriginal girl was more likely to be arrested, transported to the police station, bailed to appear in court, convicted, possibly fined or placed on an order, and left with a criminal record.
Research published this year has made similar findings in relation to disparities in the treatment of Aboriginal young people in other states including Western Australia and South Australia. These are also states, along with the Northern Territory, with high rates of incarceration of Aboriginal young people.
One of the most disturbing aspects of the criminalisation of Aboriginal juveniles is the young age they are brought into the justice system - more than 70 per cent of children held in detention in Australia who are under the age of 14 are Aboriginal.

On any day there are more than 1000 young people held in juvenile detention centres across Australia. According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, more than 50 per cent of those held are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander. It is a damning indictment of a country that prides itself on the rule of law and the principle of equality before the law. As much as we might like to deny it, justice in Australia is coloured. Perhaps it takes a 12-year-old Aboriginal boy and a 70-cent piece of chocolate to remind us of that.

You'd have to be pretty stubborn to argue otherwise.

Also, it's interesting to note that the hardest atitude in this thread seem to come from states where aborigional incraceration are among the highest.

there are much, much better ways of dealing with wayward kids - especially in indigenous communities - than putting them into the criminal justice system, which will do nothing except turn a wayward kid into a hardened crim.

Such as?

Any intervention from white man into aboriginal communitites is deemed 'racist' by the bleeding hearts.

Intervention is racist. Removing kids from parents and communities is racist. Punishing kids under the law is racist. What methods are there exactly for 'dealing' with the problem of young aboriginal 'wayward kids' (read: law breaking members of society) which are satisfactory? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said anything about an "intervention"? Police deal with cases like this involving non-indigenous children without resorting to the courts everyday.

As for the methods, read the article, WA has very specific diversionary programme's to deal with minors like this.

sad isnt it. I think he should have eaten the evidence. totally odd the whole thing.

and i am totally sre that if it was a little white boy or girl, it would have been a non event.

Agree, it's a shame that someone must be guilty just because of skin colour.

And we wonder why we have such high rates of black incarceration in this country. The more things change the more they stay the same :(

The piece of s**t that stole my car stereo/stuff from my property and around our small country town is in jail now after only being caught thieving about 3 times. I reckon it's great I don't have to **** ing bolt everything to the ground now.

I guess they should've given him another slap on the wrist?

The piece of s**t that stole my car stereo/stuff from my property and around our small country town is in jail now after only being caught thieving about 3 times. I reckon it's great I don't have to **** ing bolt everything to the ground now.

The piece of white filth who stole my car when I lived in WA & wrapped it around a light pole only got probation, even though he had a lot of previous charges, seems if you are a white junkie, it's not your fault & you shouldn't be jailed. :rolleyes:

boy is twelve.

put it in perspective. 12.

ultimately a question of development, pedagogy, and redemption, if you fundamentally think this kid is bad and a lost cause, get him post haste to the Territory where they have(had?) the three strikes rule.

The piece of white filth who stole my car when I lived in WA & wrapped it around a light pole only got probation, even though he had a lot of previous charges, seems if you are a white junkie, it's not your fault & you shouldn't be jailed. :rolleyes:

This drivel is hilarious, I never even mentioned the colour or race of the thief yet you go off on a race rant.

Remember though in WA you can kill someone and be out in 2-3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back