• Good List MGMT

Votes: 60 72.3%
  • Poor List MGMT

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Matthew Bro

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any benefit in separating the trading and drafting roles?
It would be all overseen by a list manager who would perhaps take care of trading, then leave the drafting to another expert who focuses on that.
Of course our list manager could have some draft input, particularly with the later picks when he seems to do his best drafting, but from his record with early picks, I’d prefer someone else to step up to the role

I think he is too slow in picking up the current trends in the AFL.

For years our list was not skillful enough, and now he continues to draft too many rucks even though they are pretty much irrelevant in the AFL.

Not the worst in the league, but not the best either.

For years our list was not skillful enough, and now he continues to draft too many rucks even though they are pretty much irrelevant in the AFL.

Tend to agree re trends but I doubt that's totally his influence. I'd say Bond and Lyon would mostly decide on the list makeup. Lloyd just has to find them.

Extra rucks has more to do with Sandilands’ upcoming retirement, Strnadica looking a long shot prospect and Apeness both looking more of a forward than ruck and being super injury prone. My guess is we’ll stick with Darcy, Meek and Jones next year along with one of Strnadica or Apeness probably more as key forwards who can ruck rather than genuine rucks. We had too many key defenders last year (we’re about normal now). Both situations were more to do with planning for upcoming retirements rather than looking for trends in the game.

Rucks are still important - just not as important as five years ago. Nankervis played a big role for Richmond and given they drafted Coleman Jones and Balta both of whom have played the forward ruck role before tells me they still see the role as where they see room for improvement. Only reason they went without was because Elton and Soldo were quite frankly spuds.

Personally I think he is getting better which makes sense - has more experience.

Also the ruck overdose will be because you don't know if they are going to make it. Same with KPFs now. We have quantity hoping that some of it turns into quality since we haven't been able to draft any top 10 KPFs.

I was surprise as any but it makes sense. The only bit I don't like is that somebody is going to have to play Peel ressies but I guess injuries will give opportunity.

It’s probably easier to train rucks who can mark (Darcy) to be effective forwards than train forwards who can’t mark to be rucks (Tabs).

I know this is a weird questions
but should we judge Brad Lloyd on
First Round Failures (seems like a nuffie) or Late Round and Rookie Gems (seems like genius)
or on both and the balance seems to be pretty good but also pretty average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that Geelong were also keen on Darcy, hence the high pick.
Hey Clem but what did you think of Carlton beating us to pick SPS? After his poor showing on the weekend especially with his poor disposal by foot wouldn't you think that the Dockers are glad that Carlton beating us to him ? He he See you at pre-season trainings the end of the year when you are on holidays.

Hey Clem but what did you think of Carlton beating us to pick SPS? After his poor showing on the weekend especially with his poor disposal by foot wouldn't you think that the Dockers are glad that Carlton beating us to him ? He he See you at pre-season trainings the end of the year when you are on holidays.
Personally I was really disappointed with his either lazy or unintelligent work on Mundy at that stoppage where we kicked a goal. SPS was the closest man and didn't move at all to block him. It looked like someone not switched on or the midfield was told to cover their man.

Another question then -

Given that recruiting is so speculative - which clubs have a better track record with recruiting over the last 10 years?

To figure that out - you'll have to compare us to clubs who have had similar draft positions over the period, since GC/GWS (leg ups), and Carlton/Melbourne/St Kilda (shithouse) would have had more than your standard dose of high draft picks to burn. You'd also have to remove father/son and academy selections, and also take into account the Melbourne 'home of football' drawcard when it comes to attracting talent.

I think if you were to do the study - then given what we've got, I suspect we've actually punched above our weight over the last decade.

I know this is a weird questions
but should we judge Brad Lloyd on
First Round Failures (seems like a nuffie) or Late Round and Rookie Gems (seems like genius)
or on both and the balance seems to be pretty good but also pretty average
Maybe someone else was looking after rookies and mature age player? Ross seemed to suggest the draft responsibilities have been split the last few years.

Back