Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the intrusion, just caught the second half of the game.

Not sure how you guys saw it, but as a neutral observer I thought the umpiring looked bias a few times in favour of the Swans.

A doggies defender in the back pocket, was going back to take his kick and for no reason is told to quickly play on rushing his kick/ turnover. Swans defender in similar situation a few minutes later is given all the time to take their kick.

Swans player, I think Warner, passes the ball inside 50 couldn’t have gone more than 10 metres is paid a mark/ shot on goal.

Treloar getting pulled away without the ball looked an obvious free.

The 50m for knocking the ball out was rubbish.

Not sure how you guys saw it, but as a neutral observer I thought the umpiring looked bias a few times in favour of the Swans.

A doggies defender in the back pocket, was going back to take his kick and for no reason is told to quickly play on rushing his kick/ turnover. Swans defender in similar situation a few minutes later is given all the time to take their kick.

Swans player, I think Warner, passes the ball inside 50 couldn’t have gone more than 10 metres is paid a mark/ shot on goal.

Umpiring was substandard all night, bad calls on both sides, but god forbid any Dogs support say anything or ''something something 2016''

Well the Swans were lucky to get the win, but it is a home and away game not a final. A few flogs play in that team, I used to respect Goodes, Kennedy and co, not this lot of spoilt academy kids.
Great signs from Garcia, Freijah, West, for us, we have definitely turned the corner.

We lost the game when Richards went off, and Warner got off the leash. Interesting that the two Sydney players were not tested or taken off.

At no point in my original post did I claim he had a good tackle game, in fact I agree that he missed some easy tackles. I was simply saying that as a team we didn't tackle well, there were plenty of senior players who couldn't even manage 4 tackle attempts...

Tackle Attempts / Tackles
8 / 3 - Bramble
7 / 2 - Vandermeer
7 / 6 - Bontempelli
6 / 5 - Sanders
5 / 4 - Treloar
5 / 3 - Darcy
5 / 2 - Macrae
4 / 3 - Dale
4 / 3 - Gallagher
4 / 2 - Daniel
4 / 2 - Freijah
3 / 3 - Harmes
3 / 2 - English
3 / 1 - Keath
2 / 2 - Garcia
2 / 2 - Richards
2 / 2 - Williams
1 / 1 - Duryea
1 / 0 - L. Jones
0 / 0 - Scott
0 / 0 - Naughton
0 / 0 - Ugle-Hagen

We are coming off a 5-day break so I think it's fair to give most of them the benefit of the doubt, especially given that we are generally a good tackling team this year.

Macrae is naturally going to have fewer tackles now that he is starting permanently forward but that doesn't mean he's not having an impact pressure-wise...

Pressure Points
49 - Bontempelli
37 - Macrae
36 - West
34 - Darcy
33 - Sanders
31 - Daniel
31 - Bramble
30 - Harmes
29 - Garcia
28 - Dale
27 - English
26 - Freijah
26 - Vandermeer
23 - Treloar
23 - Richards
20 - Williams
20 - Gallagher
11 - Duryea
6 - Naughton
5 - L. Jones
3 - Ugle-Hagen
0 - Scott

I'd have to check the numbers but I think he's ranked top 3 for overall pressure (pressure points) this year which is something he traditionally has struggled with.

Again I'm not defending the tackle game tonight but it was not exclusive to him and although he was far below his best today Macrae was ranked 3rd for ground balls and equal 2nd for score assists along with a well above average inside 50 retention rate. Comparing him to his previous years is largely pointless given his new position and I wouldn't be writing him off just yet but that doesn't mean he won't find himself out of the team at the end of year.
Interesting stats. The AFL web site says 6 tackles to Sanders and West. Also 3 to Macrae.
You seem to have left West out of your list.

Jamarra's inability or unwillingness to tackle and apply pressure is a concern. There have been comments lately about his lack of endurance (or lack of interest?) I hope his numbers will go up in these areas as he gets fitter. He certainly needs to do that if Naughton is out for a lengthy spell.

Last edited:
This is what kills me about this team.

When the coaches lose the reins and the team is unstructured (or at least not well-structured) then we look like a bottom eight team.

When they lock in we look good, but have issues with personnel, gameplan and general ball use.

Tonight they looked up for it. They’ll be good going forward.

Our best is up there with the best but the gap between our best and worst I believe is the largest in the competition. The amount of times we shoot ourselves in the foot is staggering.

Bramble made a couple of really blatant turnovers in the first half tonight missing targets that U12s make on. a regular basis, Harmes also missed a couple of easy targets along with his awful shot at goal that didn't even score, add to that Keath's stupid deliberate out of bounds. If 2 out those 3 examples didn't happen the scoreboard could've easily been in our favour.

Interetsing stats. The AFL web site says 6 tackles to Sanders and West. Also 3 to Macrae.
You seem to have left West out of your list.

Jamarra's inability or unwillingness to tackle and apply pressure is a concern. There have been comments lately about his lack of endurance (or lack of interest?) I hope his numbers will go up in these areas as he gets fitter. He certainly needs to do that if Naughton is out for a lengthy spell.
Looks like a few tackles changed after the match, this should be the up to the list...

8 / 3 - Bramble
7 / 6 - Bontempelli
7 / 2 - Vandermeer
6 / 6 - West
6 / 5 - Sanders
5 / 4 - Treloar
5 / 3 - Darcy
5 / 2 - Macrae
4 / 3 - Dale
4 / 3 - Gallagher
4 / 2 - Daniel
4 / 2 - Freijah
3 / 3 - Harmes
3 / 2 - English
3 / 1 - Keath
2 / 2 - Garcia
2 / 2 - Richards
2 / 2 - Williams
1 / 1 - Duryea
1 / 0 - L. Jones
0 / 0 - Scott
0 / 0 - Naughton
0 / 0 - Ugle-Hagen

Yeah I agree that JUH needs to step up when the ball hits the ground. I noticed tonight that if he dropped or fumbled a mark he would just continue jogging forward instead of turning back to the play.

Glad you mentioned that play-on business. I noticed it a few times. A quick "play on" call is tantamount to applying pressure to the kicker in open play. He gets rushed and can't pinpoint a target so a 50/50 or a turnover becomes quite likely. That, after all, was the whole point of the rule that says if you get a free kick or a mark you can take a reasonable amount of time to go back and direct your kick where you want it.

I'd never noticed it much before tonight but it was almost as if it was the umpiring panel rubbed their hands together mischievously saying "hee-hee ... what shall we interpret differently this week?" Except that it didn't seem to be applied to the Swans.

Not giving the player the usual amount of time to go back and select his target is actually a pretty big handicap on the side that has just won the ball.

A poor standard of umpiring across the board tonight. And I'm yet to be convinced that having four umpires has improved the standard. Too much inconsistency, too many overrules by umpires further away and too many lower standard umpires getting games at the top level.

Some more random observations:

• Couldn't understand the Game Day thread pile-on for Gallagher. I thought he had a reasonable game and did some very nice things. He also has a nice side-step and composure in traffic. This kid hadn't played a senior game a couple of months ago. He'll be fine. In fact I think he'll be better than fine. He's only 20 and has had only one full AFL pre-season.

• More generally I don't see how it's fair to bag first and second year players repeatedly. There are always calls to "play the kids" (because we're going nowhere this year and Macrae, Daniel, Duryea, etc are all supposedly past it). But as soon as those kids get a run they get crucified. You just have to be patient with young players while they pick up the speed of the game, learn a few tricks, develop the physique and physicality needed for senior footy, build cohesion with other senior players and start to believe in themselves. Very few players arrive ready made like Bontempelli, Naughton or Harley Reid. At times tonight Sanders, Gallagher and Freijah all copped it ... but they are all going to be good players. People don't seem to understand how much harder it is for players like Gags and Sanders to be playing in the guts so early in their careers. You're always against the very best there. And it's very physical. Gags is 20. Sanders is 19. Freijah is only 18. They have acquitted themselves well already and will get better as the season progresses.

• One aspect of Ed Richards' play that hasn't attracted much attention is his ability to balance himself before taking his kick. Weaving through traffic he knows the tackle is coming but he doesn't panic, and rarely gets caught with the ball. He releases at the last instant. Take a look at how he steadied before chipping the pass to Naughton in the first quarter. That sort of awareness and composure is what sets aside the best players from the run-of-the-mill. Bont has it in spades of course. Perhaps Ed has been watching him for a few years?

• Another player who is growing before our eyes is Riley Garcia. It wasn't so many games ago that he was reviled for clangers and lack of poise. Many doubted he'd make it. But now he's reached 25 games he's becoming a valuable player. Who would have thought? One great asset is his low centre of gravity. He keeps his feet, moves well in traffic, has good agility and bounces off other players. Sort of what we've been calling out for over the last year or so. Especially with the end not so far away for Libba's career. His first goal tonight, bursting away from two Swans tacklers was beautiful to watch. He's starting to look like a canny late draft pick (#62). We just had to be patient because he was coming off a serious knee injury.

• I'm also loving the start of Joel Freijah's career. He makes a few serious errors each game and has no doubt cost us a few goals. But he does some really eye-catching thing and is no longer overawed by the bigger stage of senior footy and the revered names of his opponents (if he ever was). Yet again we have to be patient and accept a few clangers. He'll iron those out soon enough. And he'll become a real weapon on the wing or half back.

• He may still have a few things to work on but Ryley Sanders can definitely stick a tackle. It's mostly in close at this stage because he can't catch the speedsters, but for a 19yo against seasoned men his tackling in close has been impressive. He had equal most tackles for us tonight (6) and very few, if any, missed tackles.

Last edited:
The turnovers and tackling were particularly poor tonight. Dale and Freijah in the first half gave up two unforced turnovers each that resulted in goals, Freijah did have a good second half though.

Sydney is the best at scoring from the defensive half and they dined out on us tonight scoring 6.4 to just 2.5.

Sydney went at 70% in front of goal which is 20% above the comp average, while we went at 43%. You could say Sydney were lucky but we also handed them some easy shots in front goal.
Freijah is a big boy but doesn’t seem particularly strong in the tackle/contest just yet. He’s certainly got a lot to work with so pretty exited about his trajectory.

What are people's preferences for how we solve the Naughton sized hole down forward:
  1. Lobb - has the height, not sure about the Lobb, Darcy, Jamarra combination impact on forward half pressure.
  2. Bont - playing a mix of the Jeremy Cameron high forward role and what he was doing in the 4Q against the Swans.
  3. Buku - proven as an undersized tall at VFL level, including up the ground, but not sure about forward half pressure.
  4. Bedendo - at 191cm and good overhead he gives another marking target if taking the 3rd defender plus has the engine and fitness base to work defensively if the effort is there.
  5. Clarke - **** it lets just roll with 2 talls in Darcy and Jamarra and play the extra small.
  6. Other - some random classic Bevo move, e.g. bring in Buss or shift JOD forward

Freijah is a big boy but doesn’t seem particularly strong in the tackle/contest just yet. He’s certainly got a lot to work with so pretty exited about his trajectory.

Absolutely! He is the standout so far among the 2024 debutants for me. Sanders will probably get him by the end of the year but I've been very impressed. It's unfortunate he made a couple of really poor turnovers that cost goals last night but those sort of things will happen with first year players.

What are people's preferences for how we solve the Naughton sized hole down forward:
  1. Lobb - has the height, not sure about the Lobb, Darcy, Jamarra combination impact on forward half pressure.
  2. Bont - playing a mix of the Jeremy Cameron high forward role and what he was doing in the 4Q against the Swans.
  3. Buku - proven as an undersized tall at VFL level, including up the ground, but not sure about forward half pressure.
  4. Bedendo - at 191cm and good overhead he gives another marking target if taking the 3rd defender plus has the engine and fitness base to work defensively if the effort is there.
  5. Clarke - **** it lets just roll with 2 talls in Darcy and Jamarra and play the extra small.
  6. Other - some random classic Bevo move, e.g. bring in Buss or shift JOD forward
Lobb or Bedendo, reward VFL form. If Lobb him and English change often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the look of him, he’s still got a bit of puppy fat to lose but at 190cm with his frame, he’ll be an absolute specimen with a few more pre seasons under his belt.

Proud of the team tonight and proud to be a doggies supporter.

Probably should have won it in the end with the chances we had and no doubt on expected score that would be a win. But we had no right to come back so much in that last quarter. Down to two on the bench for the second half basically.

And loved seeing us mix it up in the midfield and make adjustments throughout the game.

Hoping for the best with Naughts
Looks like Bevo has a Plan B after all

I think we’ll see more of Bont forward to allow for both Libba and Richards in the midfield

Lobb easily. He deserves it based on VFL form.

Also what would we be the point of him being on the list if he isn’t going to replace Naughton? We all bang on about how he’s great depth if we lose a key forward or ruckman.

I’d play him similar to how Naughton has been as the higher lead up target which he’s shown he can play well. The obvious issue will be the drop off in pressure and when the ball hits the deck.

Looks like Bevo has a Plan B after all

My opinion hasn’t changed on Bevo and did he come up with a different plan mid game? Yes, was he forced to through circumstances? Yes.

But hey great attempt to derail a thread and try to win yourself a point. Rather than discuss Bevo in the appropriate thread.

But hey if you’re that sad that you need validation that much. You get one Bevo made changes in a single game

Suddenly we have midfield options!

Good point though, Bevo on his game tonight, injuries had a major influence on the outcome.

Also we ran the game out - that GWS bloke we recruited must have pulled the right levers in preparation. 👍

Agree that injuries probably forced changes, managing minutes off the short break, needing another tall forward etc.

Hopefully we continue to give the younger guys and Harmes time running through there. Clearly you need Bont treloar and Libba in there but we can’t run them 90% of the game as we have been.

Bar injuries it’s been a good three weeks on the field and in the coaching box

Looks like a few tackles changed after the match, this should be the up to the list...

8 / 3 - Bramble
7 / 6 - Bontempelli
7 / 2 - Vandermeer
6 / 6 - West
6 / 5 - Sanders
5 / 4 - Treloar
5 / 3 - Darcy
5 / 2 - Macrae
4 / 3 - Dale
4 / 3 - Gallagher
4 / 2 - Daniel
4 / 2 - Freijah
3 / 3 - Harmes
3 / 2 - English
3 / 1 - Keath
2 / 2 - Garcia
2 / 2 - Richards
2 / 2 - Williams
1 / 1 - Duryea
1 / 0 - L. Jones
0 / 0 - Scott
0 / 0 - Naughton
0 / 0 - Ugle-Hagen

Yeah I agree that JUH needs to step up when the ball hits the ground. I noticed tonight that if he dropped or fumbled a mark he would just continue jogging forward instead of turning back to the play.
JUH has been doing that all season, no interest in doing anything once the ball hits the ground and lacks fitness to try and chase opposition players, lasted 10 minutes in the 1st quarter before we went off for a rest, wore himself out walking to his position on the ground at the start of the game

Bevo’s messaging was spot on in his presser - can be very proud of the team and some great efforts. But ultimately we missed too many easy chances, and that needs to be addressed.

Thats the story every week. Last week, too many missed chances at 8.22, Richmond 19.19 and on and on.

Sort out the goalkicking and we suddenly win an extra 3-4 a year which makes a huge difference.

Not sure how seriously it's taken within the club, but you would hope it would be top priority because misses deflate the entire team and we're often victims of the kick three or four points in row, they get it down forward once and kick a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back