Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more random observations:

• Couldn't understand the Game Day thread pile-on for Gallagher. I thought he had a reasonable game and did some very nice things. He also has a nice side-step and composure in traffic. This kid hadn't played a senior game a couple of months ago. He'll be fine. In fact I think he'll be better than fine. He's only 20 and has had only one full AFL pre-season.

• More generally I don't see how it's fair to bag first and second year players repeatedly. There are always calls to "play the kids" (because we're going nowhere this year and Macrae, Daniel, Duryea, etc are all supposedly past it). But as soon as those kids get a run they get crucified. You just have to be patient with young players while they pick up the speed of the game, learn a few tricks, develop the physique and physicality needed for senior footy, build cohesion with other senior players and start to believe in themselves. Very few players arrive ready made like Bontempelli, Naughton or Harley Reid. At times tonight Sanders, Gallagher and Freijah all copped it ... but they are all going to be good players. People don't seem to understand how much harder it is for players like Gags and Sanders to be playing in the guts so early in their careers. You're always against the very best there. And it's very physical. Gags is 20. Sanders is 19. Freijah is only 18. They have acquitted themselves well already and will get better as the season progresses.

• One aspect of Ed Richards' play that hasn't attracted much attention is his ability to balance himself before taking his kick. Weaving through traffic he knows the tackle is coming but he doesn't panic, and rarely gets caught with the ball. He releases at the last instant. Take a look at how he steadied before chipping the pass to Naughton in the first quarter. That sort of awareness and composure is what sets aside the best players from the run-of-the-mill. Bont has it in spades of course. Perhaps Ed has been watching him for a few years?

• Another player who is growing before our eyes is Riley Garcia. It wasn't so many games ago that he was reviled for clangers and lack of poise. Many doubted he'd make it. But now he's reached 25 games he's becoming a valuable player. Who would have thought? One great asset is his low centre of gravity. He keeps his feet, moves well in traffic, has good agility and bounces off other players. Sort of what we've been calling out for over the last year or so. Especially with the end not so far away for Libba's career. His first goal tonight, bursting away from two Swans tacklers was beautiful to watch. He's starting to look like a canny late draft pick (#62). We just had to be patient because he was coming off a serious knee injury.

• I'm also loving the start of Joel Freijah's career. He makes a few serious errors each game and has no doubt cost us a few goals. But he does some really eye-catching thing and is no longer overawed by the bigger stage of senior footy and the revered names of his opponents (if he ever was). Yet again we have to be patient and accept a few clangers. He'll iron those out soon enough. And he'll become a real weapon on the wing or half back.

• He may still have a few things to work on but Ryley Sanders can definitely stick a tackle. It's mostly in close at this stage because he can't catch the speedsters, but for a 19yo against seasoned men his tackling in close has been impressive. He had equal most tackles for us tonight (6) and very few, if any, missed tackles.
Feel like for Joel early development

I really liked him playing that forward link up role
Looked more comfortable with the ball

When Libba and Ed are playing again I would like to see West and Garcia get used in rotations more too as they give us a different look.

Treloar can start on a wing and go wherever he wants.

I’m looking to play Gallagher in Brambles position at some stage to see how that looks.

Looks like Bevo's Young brigade look on board with his coaching. Macrae should be ashamed for his performance.
Mcrae isnt quick enough to play forward, puts absolutely no defensive pressure on when he doesnt have the ball. He has limitations and unfortunately they get exposed defensively when he plays forward. Don't know how much if it is attitude and the desire to really want to compete or pure physical attributes.

• He may still have a few things to work on but Ryley Sanders can definitely stick a tackle. It's mostly in close at this stage because he can't catch the speedsters, but for a 19yo against seasoned men his tackling in close has been impressive. He had equal most tackles for us tonight (6) and very few, if any, missed tackles.
The baby faced assassin🤣

Unlike West who actually looks like an assassin.

And I hate to say it but bevo is right. CD and Macrae are only role players now. Freijah is going to be a 200 gamer for us he's got it
I've been saying it for years, our onballers were too one paced and I was the one on here who said Richards has all the attributes to be a gun onballer, only to be ridiculed by some posters, why take your best defenders blah blah.

Hopefully people are seeing what the game is all about now. Its pace, endurance and goals on the turnover. Sydney flood back and clog up defence, once they get the ball there off to the races at top speed with pin point passes.

CD and Macrae, although have strengths, do not have the physical abilities required of a modern day midfielder or flanker. Essentially its speed, endurance, skill and then a couple of big guys up each end. People have to forget the footy we all knew growing up as its so different.

If you listened to Bevo game rapt, he knows this and knew this last year. I glad change is finally coming, yet its come a year or two too late.

The only way it will go back to the old ways is that you need 3 forwards and 3 defenders in the 50 at each stoppage (ball up, boundary throw in and kick ins), that would help resemble the footy we all knew.

Tough draw ahead, yet I think we can make a run at finals this year, belief is there.

A solid performance under the circumstances. Goal kicking is still a big issue. This skill looks like it was considered an afterthought during the preseason. The footy department must do better.

Don’t get me wrong I still think he has great potential but honest appraisal is critical to helping a person reach their potential.

Let’s not kid ourselves or him.
He has been noticeably slow.

The coaches now need to work out why, and how to help him improve his speed.
His speed will barely improve, what will improve is his endurance and ability to run at his top speed and repeat more times in a game.

I’d love some insight into what’s changed at the club the past few weeks. Is it just time and a few things to click from the new coaches? Has there been some sort of internal clear and he air? Is it forced change due to injury? Is it a clear shift in game plan? Either way it’s positive as a member.
I listened to Egan's interview. Seems like it might be player driven. After the Hawks game it appears they collectively had a good hard look at themselves and agreed that they needed to pull their collective fingers out of their collective arses.

The consistent effort and intensity penny dropped and we are all the better for it.

Sanders is a young lad but to be honest I have been a little disappointed in physicality around the contest. No doubt the kid can find the ball but defensively needs to improve as well.

So many times he seems to find the ball inside 50 but is very histatnt to have a shot or snap and seems to give hands to a team mate under pressure.

I guess he is adapting, but I expected a little more for someone so high up the draft order based on what others have produced.

Still excited to have the kid on board and hoping he develops quickly

I've been saying it for years, our onballers were too one paced and I was the one on here who said Richards has all the attributes to be a gun onballer, only to be ridiculed by some posters, why take your best defenders blah blah.

Hopefully people are seeing what the game is all about now. Its pace, endurance and goals on the turnover. Sydney flood back and clog up defence, once they get the ball there off to the races at top speed with pin point passes.

CD and Macrae, although have strengths, do not have the physical abilities required of a modern day midfielder or flanker. Essentially its speed, endurance, skill and then a couple of big guys up each end. People have to forget the footy we all knew growing up as its so different.

If you listened to Bevo game rapt, he knows this and knew this last year. I glad change is finally coming, yet its come a year or two too late.

The only way it will go back to the old ways is that you need 3 forwards and 3 defenders in the 50 at each stoppage (ball up, boundary throw in and kick ins), that would help resemble the footy we all knew.

Tough draw ahead, yet I think we can make a run at finals this year, belief is there.
I agree, but my question to the club would be if they knew this why resign them to such long contracts?

Yeah alright mate we get it, now your other target JJ is out we’ve all heard your ******* opinion on this 100 times considering it’s literally all you post.

You do realise Marra played 96% time on ground tonight yeah? More than any other player other than the key backs. Lasted 10 minutes did he genius? He was literally on the ground more than pretty much every other player and still helped to almost get us over the line in the dying minutes.

I’m beginning to think half of this board doesn’t actually watch the footy, they just come on here and fire off the same old tired bullshit opinions they formed 2 years ago, it’s bloody painful. Last week Marras effort and intent was awesome, he wasn’t playing well but you could see how much he was trying with his second efforts, I thought to myself he should get some praise on BF tonight and what a surprise it’s the same “no work ethic” bs

This week his pressure and tackle was non existent yes but he had to preserve his game as he was playing Naughtys minutes, cut him some slack ffs. I’m actually not sure what people expect here, his pressure and tackle numbers are similar to 99% of key forwards, do people watch AFL? This is what key forwards do, he’s not Naughty but no one ******* is ffs, this is why Naughty is so rare and unique and valuable as a forward yet muppets on here want to send him back still?

Here’s a thought mate, think hard before you post again and try forming opinion that doesn’t resolve around JUH, just one… and maybe you’ll finally have something worthwhile to add
it was non existent yes, and a player that has his experience and is getting paid as one of your better players at the club should not be having as many non existent pressure and tackling games as he does.

Personally, he can hide his defensive efforts when playing on ball but as a forward it shows much more. But to his defence the poor bloke isnt a forward, will never be a forward and should not be being played there.

What the solution is, I dont know !

How do we get those minutes though? They got them last night because Libba & Ed were injured and Bont was moved forward. All 3 are a walk up start in 2 weeks time.

It’s not easy. Does the club push out Treloar & Libba from the midfield next year to fully make way for these guys? Otherwise they just have to be patient until those guys ‘move on’.

In 2024 you potentially have Bont, Treloar, Richards, Libba all still going and have to find minutes for Smith (maybe), Sanders, West, Gags, Garcia etc. It just doesn’t work.

If you want to prolong Libba and Treloar's careers, it has to be them on rotation with another through the mid/forward. Both are capable forward kicking goals.

Both play the same inside game in my opinion.

And Bont needs to be moved forward more often if there's a tag on him.

Running the same followers gets stale and predictable.

Yeah alright mate we get it, now your other target JJ is out we’ve all heard your ******* opinion on this 100 times considering it’s literally all you post.

You do realise Marra played 96% time on ground tonight yeah? More than any other player other than the key backs. Lasted 10 minutes did he genius? He was literally on the ground more than pretty much every other player and still helped to almost get us over the line in the dying minutes.

I’m beginning to think half of this board doesn’t actually watch the footy, they just come on here and fire off the same old tired bullshit opinions they formed 2 years ago, it’s bloody painful. Last week Marras effort and intent was awesome, he wasn’t playing well but you could see how much he was trying with his second efforts, I thought to myself he should get some praise on BF tonight and what a surprise it’s the same “no work ethic” bs

This week his pressure and tackle was non existent yes but he had to preserve his game as he was playing Naughtys minutes, cut him some slack ffs. I’m actually not sure what people expect here, his pressure and tackle numbers are similar to 99% of key forwards, do people watch AFL? This is what key forwards do, he’s not Naughty but no one ******* is ffs, this is why Naughty is so rare and unique and valuable as a forward yet muppets on here want to send him back still?

Here’s a thought mate, think hard before you post again and try forming opinion that doesn’t resolve around JUH, just one… and maybe you’ll finally have something worthwhile to add

Fire up doggo!!😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame to lose key players right when we seem to be putting it together on the field. Looks like we've ironed out some of the kinks in the gameplan and put the right players in in the right spots. A win would have been huge for setting up the season.

Too many tackles broken. As a team we need to get stronger.

Thought Gallagher was poor again. Bramble also. But overall, a pretty good performance from the team. A lot to like about this team moving forward.

Richards is almost the perfect package for a midfielder. Elite size & pace, perfect blend of attacking flair with fantastic skills but also a defensive mindset, ability to tackle fiercely and work hard in defence.

We’ve stumbled into someone we can build our midfield around for the next 6-8 years and he’s taken to the role like a fish out of water.

Jones, Duryea & Keath are older heads providing some stability in the backline but the latter two are basically cooked. I’d be pushing for a Vlaustin acquisition to harden up of defence for a few years.

I thought JUH did well to not drop his bundle after Naughton went off. Yes he didn't do every element of the game perfectly but he's a bloke who has been in poor form for three weeks, was not getting much support from Darcy (who is allowed to have a quiet game but was still quiet) but Jamarra came out about halfway through the third quarter and made consistent efforts with repeat leads, outmarking defenders. He didn't drop his bundle and he looked like he embraced the challenge without Naughton, not dropped it. It's a we can ask for the next little while as Naughton is injured. Jamarra's form has gone from being a luxury we can carry to something that's going to be critical if we are to make finals.

Upon reflection, the game was not just lost by losing two of our best players, but how it messed up our rotations - clearly we improved in the last quarter because we got players in the right spots (Sanders and Bont forward, West and Garcia in the mids, Harmes back on the wing so Freijah went forward, etc. etc.). That's the annoying thing about in game injuries - the coach has to manage rotations and think about moving the magnets, but also coach the game itself at the same time. Not only do we win with a big of luck, we win if we make the same changes late if we did earlier in the game (such as if Richards went down before and not after half-time)

Glad you mentioned that play-on business. I noticed it a few times. A quick "play on" call is tantamount to applying pressure to the kicker in open play. He gets rushed and can't pinpoint a target so a 50/50 or a turnover becomes quite likely. That, after all, was the whole point of the rule that says if you get a free kick or a mark you can take a reasonable amount of time to go back and direct your kick where you want it.

I'd never noticed it much before tonight but it was almost as if it was the umpiring panel rubbed their hands together mischievously saying "hee-hee ... what shall we interpret differently this week?" Except that it didn't seem to be applied to the Swans.

Not giving the player the usual amount of time to go back and select his target is actually a pretty big handicap on the side that has just won the ball.

A poor standard of umpiring across the board tonight. And I'm yet to be convinced that having four umpires has improved the standard. Too much inconsistency, too many overrules by umpires further away and too many lower standard umpires getting games at the top level.

There was an instance late in the Hawthorn game where English had possession deep in defence. All game umpires had given players time to take their kick. English had literally taken one step back to assess his options, and was called to play on! He did not deviate off his line, as he didn't even have time to do that.

We were also missing a proper third defender that had athleticism that Keath and Jones didn't. Keath and Jones battled but this wasn't the type of ball movement or forward line that suited them - Sydney's forward line is all about mobility and creating space. A lot of talk is about our injuries, which is not untrue, but they're not even including all three of JOD, Coffield and Gardner, all of whom could have played a role to balance out the defence a little bit. All three cover the ground better than Jones/Keath, but all have the speed and running capacity to cover more territory. There were a couple of times in the game that Keath and Jones were not doing much wrong purely defending, just didn't have the legspeed to cover the last 20m as Sydney were excellent in opening up space.

Mcrae isnt quick enough to play forward, puts absolutely no defensive pressure on when he doesnt have the ball. He has limitations and unfortunately they get exposed defensively when he plays forward. Don't know how much if it is attitude and the desire to really want to compete or pure physical attributes.
Macrae's disposal in traffic was great last week, poor this week. May have been referred pressure as Gags had a number of turnovers and smothered kicks, and Sanders had a mare on the boundary in one piece of play too.
Sydney are a very good pressure side which makes those errors happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back