Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

My concern with bramble is decision making, he ignores the first option a lot and then seems to panic
I don't think that he is any different than our other young and inexperienced guys in this regard.

He may be a 26 year old journeyman who looks like your average plumber having a parma and pot in the pub. But he doesn't carry much more experience at the level than some of the guys who get a free pass due to their inexperience.

He's clearly been tasked with the high risk. high reward job of taking on the game from deep in defence and driving us forward. It's not unusual to see many of the same errors from Dale, JJ and Richards before the move when they were doing the same. These guys live by the sword and die by the sword wielded by fans.

Last edited:
When Heeney kicked the goal from the boundary @ Q4 10 min, we could have been excused to put the cue in the rack. 5 day break in wet conditions and 2 on the bench from 1/2 time - I was just hoping it wouldn’t blow out to a 50 point loss. To then have the next 7 scoring shots (3.4) to be a chance with 5 minutes to go showed enormous character. I don’t think 2024 will be our year but if we can keep the list in tact I think we could start to make a charge from next season.

His speed will barely improve, what will improve is his endurance and ability to run at his top speed and repeat more times in a game.
This could be the case, however he looks a lot slower than he did in the preseason, so I’m not yet ruling out the possibility that he could be dealing with some temporary physical limitations, including the early stages of the dreaded OP.

I think he can trim up a bit, do some extra speed training which coupled with the expected improvements in endurance decision making that certainly come with greater experience and confidence, should all come together as a reasonable package.

He is a work in progress.

When Libba and Ed are playing again I would like to see West and Garcia get used in rotations more too as they give us a different look.

Treloar can start on a wing and go wherever he wants.

I’m looking to play Gallagher in Brambles position at some stage to see how that looks.

I’ve been wanting Gallagher to be developed as a defender all year. Think he would be a great fit to take over from Bramble / Duryea.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't know if this is reflective in stats or not, but one thing I've really noticed this year - at least lately, is our pressure is absolutely through the roof. I feel like it's approaching 2015 and 16 levels of there always being someone there to put a player under pressure.

Seeing some completely different make ups at centre bounce last night brought a tear to my eye.

Gallagher is going to be a bloody star.

Wow, what an effort.
Won every single stat apart from the score.
That is the first game that Darcy has been soundly beaten - He'll learn from it and come back better.
Really proud of the boys and coaches after that game.
Any complacency in the team will be thrown out now with Astro, Ed and Libba being out.
Marra and Darcy need to step up and the young guys get their opportunity now.
Would love to see another debut soon from Bedendo, Busslinger or Croft.
This is the evolution that Bevo spoke about.
We did lose the tackle count pretty badly. 54-75.

That was a key factor in the loss. Sydney broke the lines and broke the tackles much better than us. We were slightly below our season average for tackles. Swans were 15% up on their season average.

It was partly their speed, partly their bigger bodies but also partly our inexperience and getting used to the faster game we are trying to play. Bont, Treloar and Richards know how to play that game. Not so much the younger blokes (except Garcia but he's no pup any more).

Apart from that I agree. We really took it up to them and they'll be quietly grateful that they got lucky last night with our poor shooting for goal and our three in-game injuries.

We should have not run that game out as well as we did let alone have been the ones coming home with the momentum.
Second week in a row Bevo managed the magnets well. Lots of players playing different positions in the last than they did for the first three.

A quick salute to Tim English last night. I was dreading what Grundy might do to him in this game.

Grundy did get the better of him and no doubt Timmy has played better games but he seemed to have come prepared for the physical contest. Credit to him and perhaps the ruck coach (is that Lade?) for putting in the planning.

We didn't lose this game in the ruck contests.

I'm going to mark this game down as the closest thing we've had to Sydney 2015 in Sydney since that game.

There was a maturity and resolve that I particularly liked. Naughton going down like that would have spelt a team wide psychological disintegration previously and Richards would have compounded it. Not last night. If anything, they grabbed the bit between their teeth and tried harder and come out of the game with a lot of credit and respect.

Yes, a milestone game. IIRC correctly, we bore the fruits of Sydney 2015 from that game on, and particularly the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to mark this game down as the closest thing we've had to Sydney 2015 in Sydney since that game.

There was a maturity and resolve that I particularly liked. Naughton going down like that would have spelt a team wide psychological disintegration previously and Richards would have compounded it. Not last night. If anything, they grabbed the bit between their teeth and tried harder and come out of the game with a lot of credit and respect.

Yes, a milestone game. IIRC correctly, we bore the fruits of Sydney 2015 from that game on, and particularly the following year.
WB to beat Swans by 22 points in a free-kick riddled GF in 2025. Controversy reigns. And whingeing.

You read it here first.

Yeah alright mate we get it, now your other target JJ is out we’ve all heard your ******* opinion on this 100 times considering it’s literally all you post.

You do realise Marra played 96% time on ground tonight yeah? More than any other player other than the key backs. Lasted 10 minutes did he genius? He was literally on the ground more than pretty much every other player and still helped to almost get us over the line in the dying minutes.

I’m beginning to think half of this board doesn’t actually watch the footy, they just come on here and fire off the same old tired bullshit opinions they formed 2 years ago, it’s bloody painful. Last week Marras effort and intent was awesome, he wasn’t playing well but you could see how much he was trying with his second efforts, I thought to myself he should get some praise on BF tonight and what a surprise it’s the same “no work ethic” bs

This week his pressure and tackle was non existent yes but he had to preserve his game as he was playing Naughtys minutes, cut him some slack ffs. I’m actually not sure what people expect here, his pressure and tackle numbers are similar to 99% of key forwards, do people watch AFL? This is what key forwards do, he’s not Naughty but no one ******* is ffs, this is why Naughty is so rare and unique and valuable as a forward yet muppets on here want to send him back still?

Here’s a thought mate, think hard before you post again and try forming opinion that doesn’t resolve around JUH, just one… and maybe you’ll finally have something worthwhile to add
OK. Tone it down please. No need for personal attcks.

Yes we had 9 players with over 90% ToG. Swans had 2.
Just shocking luck to cop all those injuries after our only 5-day break all season.
Gulden with 97% ToG is crazy considering they weren’t forced to. He also had the most distance covered (16.2km) and most at high speed (3.2km)

I don't think that he is any different than our other young and inexperienced guys in this regard.

He may be a 26 year old journeyman who looks like your average plumber having a parma and pot in the pub. But he doesn't carry much more experience at the level than some of the guys who get a free pass due to their inexperience.

He's clearly been tasked with the high risk. high reward job of taking on the game from deep in defence and driving us forward. It's not unusual to see many of the same errors from Dale, JJ and Richards before the move when they were doing the same. These guys live by the sword and die by the sword wielded by fans.

not with you on this one. 7 turnovers is a lot, 3 more than any other bulldog player, and the swans won the game on our turnovers. And its not like he is trying to nail particularly difficult kicks. Also, 1 score involvement (for us anyway) Plus his contested skills are poor.

This was a particularly tough game, but I reckon that is the yard stick. doesnt matter if he goes alright when we flog a bottom team.

for mine, we have an AA small defender in Caleb Daniel, and on last nights showing, he should be given Brambles spot. Bramble has a lot to work on and we cant afford to let him work it out at senior level with our win/loss ratio if we expect to make finals.

Our small defenders going forward should probably be smoking Joel, Dale, Duryea and Daniel, with Truck playing a wing

Last edited:
Gulden with 97% ToG is crazy considering they weren’t forced to. He also had the most distance covered (16.2km) and most at high speed (3.2km)
He's going to be the next Tom Scully if Tom Scully could kick. Not only if he could kick but be one of the best kicks in the league.

Was mentioned a few times on broadcast that he aspires to play 100% game time. He's getting close.

I miss seeing Smith still running at top speed in the last 5 mins of quarters when everyone else is struggling. His gut running has been so important for us in the past.

Hoping he signs on, can’t wait for him to combine with Richards through the midfield. As Sydney have shown (and what we’ve witnessed ourselves by moving Richards in) injecting speed into the middle, can change the way you play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has sustained a moderate grade medial ligament injury to his right knee, scans have confirmed.

There has been no damage to his ACL.

Naughton was removed from the game during the second quarter after his knee was caught in a tackle.

The Club will work through a return to play plan in coming days but expects to be without the 24-year-old for at least the next four to six weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back