Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has sustained a moderate grade medial ligament injury to his right knee, scans have confirmed.

There has been no damage to his ACL.

Naughton was removed from the game during the second quarter after his knee was caught in a tackle.

The Club will work through a return to play plan in coming days but expects to be without the 24-year-old for at least the next four to six weeks.
Praise Dog.

I don’t follow rugby league , but someone on Facebook reckons that in that code the tackle that got Naughts is a ‘hip drop,’ and whether intentional or not is severely punished as it can bust your opponent’s leg . As happened here.

Anyone?

I don’t follow rugby league , but someone on Facebook reckons that in that code the tackle that got Naughts is a ‘hip drop,’ and whether intentional or not is severely punished as it can bust your opponent’s leg . As happened here.

Anyone?

David King raised it on Fox Footy last night.

I don’t follow NRL either.

But as Dunstall pointed out, you can’t throw and opponent to the ground and if you can’t drop your weight like that to bring a player down what can you do? But that umpires need to blow the whistle earlier

David King raised it on Fox Footy last night.

I don’t follow NRL either.

But as Dunstall pointed out, you can’t throw and opponent to the ground and if you can’t drop your weight like that to bring a player down what can you do? But that umpires need to blow the whistle earlier
Something that isn't that. I don't agree with Dunstall's logic that the umpire left him with no alternative other than to try to break his leg.

Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has sustained a moderate grade medial ligament injury to his right knee, scans have confirmed.

There has been no damage to his ACL.

Naughton was removed from the game during the second quarter after his knee was caught in a tackle.

The Club will work through a return to play plan in coming days but expects to be without the 24-year-old for at least the next four to six weeks.

New York Comedy GIF by HULU

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that isn't that. I don't agree with Dunstall's logic that the umpire left him with no alternative other than to try to break his leg.
They all said the bump was dead. And that you can't afford to tackle any more because a player might hit his head on the ground.

And yet the game has adapted. Carry on...

If it's not fixed, it won't be for lack of a way. It'll be for lack of willingness.
Why, even that team wrestling game NRL has managed to do it.

Maybe it'll only happen when players start suing the AFL for loss of earnings due to torn ACLs?

I miss seeing Smith still running at top speed in the last 5 mins of quarters when everyone else is struggling. His gut running has been so important for us in the past.

Hoping he signs on, can’t wait for him to combine with Richards through the midfield. As Sydney have shown (and what we’ve witnessed ourselves by moving Richards in) injecting speed into the middle, can change the way you play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I could be wrong here but I feel that these green shoots help our case with Smith. There's a future there. Now if he doesn't want to be part of that and wants the showpony glamour of being apart of a Collingwood or whoever, fine, but we've shown him and others that we have a bright future on the horizon.

On the tackle on Naughton, I reckon they need to start suspending blokes for careless/dangerous tackles. You can't just be taking a player down and just twisting them unnaturally. Players know what they're doing, they're not dumb. The tackle on Naughton was dangerous and an injury was the result an injury would played a big part in the result.

Now if you had a send off rule like in the NRL and it was for careless or dangerous tackles, that tackle on Naughton happens a lot differently and maybe he doesn't get injured.

Well, how proud can we be of our boys!!
So brave.
Best feeling since the final series in 2016.
2021 except for gf
Similarly , other performances such as the Sydney game in 2015 and another game v Geelong when.Libba had control of Dangerfield only to get injured and we ended up losing too.
Go Doggies.

I don't think that he is any different than our other young and inexperienced guys in this regard.

He may be a 26 year old journeyman who looks like your average plumber having a parma and pot in the pub. But he doesn't carry much more experience at the level than some of the guys who get a free pass due to their inexperience.

He's clearly been tasked with the high risk. high reward job of taking on the game from deep in defence and driving us forward. It's not unusual to see many of the same errors from Dale, JJ and Richards before the move when they were doing the same. These guys live by the sword and die by the sword wielded by fans.
You're right but when those guys were making mistakes as young players you could still see there was some very good attributes that would be unlocked/used more consistently. I just don't know what those are with Bramble, apart from running fast which in itself isn't very useful.

They all said the bump was dead. And that you can't afford to tackle any more because a player might hit his head on the ground.

And yet the game has adapted. Carry on...

If it's not fixed, it won't be for lack of a way. It'll be for lack of willingness.
Why, even that team wrestling game NRL has managed to do it.

Maybe it'll only happen when players start suing the AFL for loss of earnings due to torn ACLs?
Given that the player is from rugby league heartland, I find it

a) likely that he knows of and is aware of that tackling method as being an effective way of getting someone to ground

and

b) that it's unlikely that he doesn't know that it's been outlawed in other codes due it's capacity to cause serious injury

But he chose to do it. That's on him and I'm sure someone will remember when we meet them next. Probably West.

In the meantime, it's a method of bringing someone to ground that should be outlawed in our game sooner rather than later. Whoda thunk NRL could sensibly show us the way.

Anyone?

At the very least it's probably easily disguised as 'clumsy' and a great way to get a dangerous opponent injured and out of the game.

This is why there needs to be a send off rule in AFL. Suspensions useless because the damage to the opponent is done.

Hope we do store it in the memory bank and 'clumsily' target said player next time around.

The issue I see is umpires can’t umpire at an appropriate standard as it is, if we add another layer to it then the standard will drop even more.

Also, in relation to MRO it would just become another outcome based suspension rather than the act itself.

Would be a bit of a miracle with the bye if he was only to miss 3 games, but for that type of injury you expect it would be closer to the 6 week mark

We will find out soon enough if has any Liber recovery genes in him

The issue I see is umpires can’t umpire at an appropriate standard as it is, if we add another layer to it then the standard will drop even more.

Also, in relation to MRO it would just become another outcome based suspension rather than the act itself.
I agree that the umpires let tackles drag on for too long and don't blow things up quickly enough. But that particular tackle should come with an automatic suspension. We just don't want it or need it and it's deployment because the umpire didn't blow things up quickly enough shouldn't be accepted as any sort of justification.

If Astro is out for the season, I think we should just try different positions for the team and load up for next year.

Reality is:
  • Darcy needs to develop
  • Sanders needs time
  • Libba is 1 more concussion away from retirement
  • Back line needs an overhaul. Don't have much faith moving forward tbh.
  • Some coaches need to be moved on.
  • There is some disconnect between forwards to mids, mids to defence and just defence. Jones won't be around forever and Gardner is not our answer.
  • English needs to grow a set
  • Re-sign Baz and get him back to form before he went quite in mid 2022 (when the media attacked him)
  • Macrae's use-by date has expired
  • Daniel finds a better role in the team

Sure but you could make a checklist of improvements to any team. No team fields 22 perfect players.

The concerning one for me is the 'disconnect'. But thats also the one thats falls under 'control the things you can control' We just want to see evidence that the whole is better than the sum or parts, rather than the reverse.
I think we are in the process of turning that corner now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back