Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 27k there tonight? Thursday not a good night for us to attend given a min 4hr round trip, and work/school the next day, guessing even Melb-based fans voted with their feet.
Home at 11pm and we are only a 40 minute drive home from Marvel. Makes it quite late when I have to get up at 4.50am

Home at 11pm and we are only a 40 minute drive home from Marvel. Makes it quite late when I have to get up at 4.50am
I was there. 2 of the 4 in our group attended purely due to a Thursday night. Thursday nights are for the media, TV and corporate exposure not for the average fan.

We would have got 35k plus Friday or Saturday night

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s impossible to get to sleep when you’re still buzzing about the game too.
And you lie there going if I go to sleep right now I’ll get 5hrs sleep 🤪

Not sure if this is the place but I paid $13.60 for a can of mid strength at Marvel. I have a good job but seriously that’s unsustainable. I’m a grown man so mid strength annoys me anyway but $13.60 for 330ml of 3.5 strength beer?

How do the guys who get through 2 cans a qtr afford it, and there’s plenty of them.

How do the guys who get through 2 cans a qtr afford it, and there’s plenty of them.
I must admit that was me. Was a long day in the office today had about 14 beers. Little trick, I was on level 2 in the peroni bar, u can buy full strength beer but only for consumption in thr bar, u can take mid strengths out. The mid strength is poured in a great northern cup, full strength no logo on the cup. Pretty simple, grab one Northern cup (might have to buy one mid strength beer), then buy draft all night and pour it into the northern cup (keeping that cup all night) and the security Muppet let's u walk out with your full strength beer thinking u have a great northern.

Not only does it taste a lot better and i can get drunk to numb my pain of a loss, the full strength draft is $11.50 and the crap mid strength is $13.60. Winning.

I'm still getting over a Swans nuffie demanding one of us get help when their brethren have been bleating psychotically for eight years about being 'robbed' of a premiership in a game they lost by nearly four goals.

A group of supporters that who have moaned non stop for eight years attempting to take the gloss off our flag, the first in 62 years.

They're so pissy, so pathetic, they couldn't even let us enjoy our moment, our day in the sun, they had to bring us down (led by their nutcase of a coach questioning the umpiring straight after the game lighting the fire for their bandwagon supporters to follow).

Did anyone try to bring down Sydney in 2005 - its 'drought breaking' flag? Was umpiring an issue in that game? Probably, it always is to a degree. Don't recall a peep from Eagles supporters sour at the loss.

So, yeah, a giant **** off to every Sydney 'supporter'. Your bunch have managed to dampen the greatest day our supporters have ever had (even if just by a fraction) by your constant carping ever since and I hate every one of you for it and will do forever.

Rant over.

Last edited:
I left the ground last night happier in that defeat than I have been in many victories in the last few years. To be 5 goals down, 2 on the bench, and our best fwd and best mid on the night out of the game, and yet fight back and could have pinched it if not for a horrible 50m penalty, was absolutely outstanding.

I've been firmly in the time for change camp with the coach, but thought he coached brilliantly last night and the players seem to have completely turned it around and must still want to play for him. I've hated bevos press conferences for years, the other week on afl 360 was the 1st time in years I listened and was absolutely impressed by what he had to say. Took me back to the early days of his reign. Excited to see what lies ahead for the year now.

Umpires don't make us miss goals we should kick.
Blaming umpires is a cop out. Injuries and accuracy were behind the result.
Implied pressure is the cause of numerous mistakes, especially when your opponents can tackle with little regard for the rules, that pressure goes up enormously. A lack of rule enforcement is also a big factor in increasing the likelihood of injuries.

How many times did Sydney get away with making front on contact or forceful late and even early contact in marking contests? How many careless tackles were there? How much unpenalised high contact?
It happens so often we have become desensitised.

Our players know they are going to get smashed and cannot expect the rules to be enforced properly if they get tackled. I don’t understand why people are so ready to overlook this problem.

It is currently a blight on the game. BTW it isn’t just us that are being hurt by this trend although we are an obvious example. Terribly lax enforcement of the game’s rules is slowly killing our sport for future generations.

It is leading the game to become too dangerous, and causing life impairing injuries to too many young people.
A trend that could really come back to haunt the football community in the future.

It’s all well and good for people and commentators to posture about it being a tough game, until they or a loved one has to deal with the consequences of serious injuries that result from an unnecessary and careless act whilst participating in a sporting activity.

I recognise that goes well beyond what you were posting about Mofra but this under umpiring trend is something that really concerns me.

I must admit that was me. Was a long day in the office today had about 14 beers. Little trick, I was on level 2 in the peroni bar, u can buy full strength beer but only for consumption in thr bar, u can take mid strengths out. The mid strength is poured in a great northern cup, full strength no logo on the cup. Pretty simple, grab one Northern cup (might have to buy one mid strength beer), then buy draft all night and pour it into the northern cup (keeping that cup all night) and the security Muppet let's u walk out with your full strength beer thinking u have a great northern.

Not only does it taste a lot better and i can get drunk to numb my pain of a loss, the full strength draft is $11.50 and the crap mid strength is $13.60. Winning.
Lol. The prices are ridiculous but yeah I can do 8 or so. Not every game but sometimes you have too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Implied pressure is the cause of numerous mistakes, especially when your opponents can tackle with little regard for the rules, that pressure goes up enormously. A lack of rule enforcement is also a big factor in increasing the likelihood of injuries.

How many times did Sydney get away with making front on contact or forceful late and even early contact in marking contests? How many careless tackles were there? How much unpenalised high contact?
It happens so often we have become desensitised.

Our players know they are going to get smashed and cannot expect the rules to be enforced properly if they get tackled. I don’t understand why people are so ready to overlook this problem.

It is currently a blight on the game. BTW it isn’t just us that are being hurt by this trend although we are an obvious example. Terribly lax enforcement of the game’s rules is slowly killing our sport for future generations.

It is leading the game to become too dangerous, and causing life impairing injuries to too many young people.
A trend that could really come back to haunt the football community in the future.

It’s all well and good for people and commentators to posture about it being a tough game, until they or a loved one has to deal with the consequences of serious injuries that result from an unnecessary and careless act whilst participating in a sporting activity.

I recognise that goes well beyond what you were posting about Mofra but this under umpiring trend is something that really concerns me.
I think it's more an issue for the administrators than the umpires who take the field on the night. I feel they are set an almost impossible task each game and across the whole season.

They need to strip it down to basics:
  • what are we trying to achieve?
  • what rules best deliver that?
  • how can we frame these rules so that they can be interpreted consistently and equitably over a full season?
  • the rules also need to be logical: spectators & viewers need to be able to follow and understand them
  • they need to resist the pressure of the commentariat, at least until the off-season
At present the game is almost unfollowable for anyone new to the game. A great spectacle with lots of atmosphere and athleticism but a puzzling sporting contest. It has zero chance of growing in other countries (except where ex-pats play friendly leagues) while the rules are so often changed arbitrarily at a whim and then interpreted differently (often quite deliberately) from one week to the next.

Did we shoot ourselves in the foot again by missing chances at goal? Yep.

Did the 50 metre penalty late change momentum, stop our run and end the game? Yep.

The two things can be exist together.

Also, here's the rules right now.

Player doesn't hand ball back to umpire immediately - 50 metre penalty

Player hip drops and twists player to the ground from a standing position seriously injuring the knee of this player (tackle that's illegal in the NRL) putting this player out of that game and for a month and a half - play on.

The AFL are so busy dealing with the inconsequential aspects of the game they miss the things that actually matter.

Cool.

Nailed it on the umps.
Not paying incorrect disposal, Htb and a plethora of long standing rules, but ruining most games with technical BS and soft 50m penalties every game.
I blame the AFL though, a simple game now has about 300 pages of rules so every play could be a free or an infringement if the umps choose to pay them.

not with you on this one. 7 turnovers is a lot, 3 more than any other bulldog player, and the swans won the game on our turnovers. And its not like he is trying to nail particularly difficult kicks. Also, 1 score involvement (for us anyway) Plus his contested skills are poor.

This was a particularly tough game, but I reckon that is the yard stick. doesnt matter if he goes alright when we flog a bottom team.

for mine, we have an AA small defender in Caleb Daniel, and on last nights showing, he should be given Brambles spot. Bramble has a lot to work on and we cant afford to let him work it out at senior level with our win/loss ratio if we expect to make finals.

Our small defenders going forward should probably be smoking Joel, Dale, Duryea and Daniel, with Truck playing a wing
Can’t agree. Bramble might not be the answer, but Daniel is still barbecued.

I'm still getting over a Swans nuffie demanding one of us get help when their brethren have been bleating psychotically for eight years about being 'robbed' of a premiership in a game they lost by nearly four goals.

A group of supporters that who have moaned non stop for eight years attempting to take the gloss off our flag, the first in 62 years.

They're so pissy, so pathetic, they couldn't even let us enjoy our moment, our day in the sun, they had to bring us down (led by their nutcase of a coach questioning the umpiring straight after the game lighting the fire for their bandwagon supporters to follow).

Did anyone try to bring down Sydney in 2005 - it's 'drought breaking' flag? Was umpiring an issue in that game? Probably, it always is to a degree. Don't recall a peep from Eagles supporters sour at the loss.

So, yeah, a giant **** off to every Sydney 'supporter'. You're bunch have managed to dampen the greatest day our supporters have ever had (even if just by a fraction) by you're constant carping ever since and I hate every one of you for it.

Rant over.
Sydney supporters, how many goals did Franklin kick that day? Importantly how many behinds? What about the million dollar recruit you got courtesy of your COLA, Kurt Tippet, how many goals did he kick? You might need to watch this game again and note how many players in the Sydney side didn’t contribute, unlike the Bulldogs who played as a champion team, not a team of champions.

I think it's more an issue for the administrators than the umpires who take the field on the night.

Nailed it on the umps.

I blame the AFL though

Yes, yes, we all know the game is administered by an over-corporatised boy's club of idiots.

That doesn't mean umpires shouldn't be subbed out immediately for mistakes like the VDM/McLean 50, taken out the back and dealt with by a panel of BF posters. It's the only way to improve the umpiring consistency... 🙂

"Beatings will continue until morale (and application of rules) improves!"

(And a big "hello" to the umpires I know! 👋)

Seriously, you have life sorted...

You're an inspiration to us all

By my reckoning ZTG, if you've purchased one mid, but then got away with waltzing past security with 13 fulls, you've come out in front by $27.30, and only outlaid $163.10
And had a far more enjoyable night, by the sounds of it! 🙂

Freijah is a big boy but doesn’t seem particularly strong in the tackle/contest just yet. He’s certainly got a lot to work with so pretty exited about his trajectory.
He is 18 its going to take him a while to develop that steel in his muscles that will allow him to stick his tackles. He will get there and is going to be a bargain pick up.

Two head clashes. Our two players go off and are out of the games. The two Swans players continue playing. Are Sydney’s protocols different to everyone else’s? Or do our players have softer heads?
Sydney guys were charging in from the side so possibly a lesser impact on them. Incredibly bad luck night for us and certainly had big ramifications for us.

Was so pissed last night - mostly at the umpires though.

I thought this was a turning point for us - despite the outs we maintained intensity for the whole game. Our pressure was back - rusty, but back. Worked our way back in the game when we had every reasons to give up but didn’t.

Marra showed some aggression, West made a big difference in the middle (though agree his decision making was not great - he created opportunities and got us back into the contest).

While some good tackles our general tackling is terrible - constantly going too high and easily brushed off.

Will seem unfair but a big turning point was the Bont miss. This is his Achilles heel - not just set shot but to make that shot when needed.

Showing my age but reminded me of Michael Jordan - mid way through his career (like Bont) he was the best player in the world but missed a lot of three pointers and as result his team missed close games. He could get the ball but not nail it. What he did was focus on that one thing and next year led the league in three point efficiency. He worked on simplifying movement and the follow through that enabled him to be moving but still nail the point. He found that when he tried to change too many things his body tried to adjust too many things in the game. Ironically - he took up golf to help with the same simplicity and follow through. Now loves golf.

A few years later - he had the next challenge - he was now even scoring heavier at record levels but his team was still not consistently winning. He decided that he would risk scoring by focusing on defence - he ended winning the league defence award. As amazing as that was - his scoring didn’t drop materially - he had baked on such solid routines and increased his fitness (for defence).

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Bont could do the same. Increase his set shot and increase his defensive pressure - I believe he could and we would have our MJ!
Not sure if I recall correctly, but did McAveney make the call "Carey would have kicked that" after Grant missed a tough but gettable goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back