Autopsy Brave Bulldogs go down by 14 points

Remove this Banner Ad

His speed will barely improve, what will improve is his endurance and ability to run at his top speed and repeat more times in a game.
Agree speed is something you have or you don't. Can make minor improvements with work, can't make a plough horse into a sprinter.
Can certainly improve on endurance though which will allow getting from contest to contest to improve. And be more effective in defensive running.

Nailed it on the umps.
Not paying incorrect disposal, Htb and a plethora of long standing rules, but ruining most games with technical BS and soft 50m penalties every game.
I blame the AFL though, a simple game now has about 300 pages of rules so every play could be a free or an infringement if the umps choose to pay them.
I follow a few sports like rugby union and soccer.

They make minimal rule changes and many are for the better.

Eg. Soccer passing back to the keeper, making the soccer goals bigger for more scores.
Rugby making tries 5 points to encourage more. Having the throw in from your penalty kick etc

AFL takes the cake though. They change rules every year and mind numbingly change interpretations on a weekly basis. They try and micro manage styles of play but coaches work out ways around it after a few weeks.

All part of having a monopoly I suppose.

I left the ground last night happier in that defeat than I have been in many victories in the last few years. To be 5 goals down, 2 on the bench, and our best fwd and best mid on the night out of the game, and yet fight back and could have pinched it if not for a horrible 50m penalty, was absolutely outstanding.

I've been firmly in the time for change camp with the coach, but thought he coached brilliantly last night and the players seem to have completely turned it around and must still want to play for him. I've hated bevos press conferences for years, the other week on afl 360 was the 1st time in years I listened and was absolutely impressed by what he had to say. Took me back to the early days of his reign. Excited to see what lies ahead for the year now.
Perfectly expressed Zeno. This is exactly what I've been thinking and feeling as well.

I hope that we get the old Bevo back for good. I'm more optimistic now than I have been for some time.

Agree speed is something you have or you don't. Can make minor improvements with work, can't make a plough horse into a sprinter.
Can certainly improve on endurance though which will allow getting from contest to contest to improve. And be more effective in defensive running.
Not disagreeing with anything you say but related to the “can make minor improvements “ comment. I can’t recall the players name but a Sydney mid of about 20 years ago worked with a running coach to make changes to his gait and the improvement to his speed elevated him from foot soldier to one of the comps top mids. Be a better point if I could remember his name .

Perfectly expressed Zeno. This is exactly what I've been thinking and feeling as well.

I hope that we get the old Bevo back for good. I'm more optimistic now than I have been for some time.
He's been labelled stubborn and it's been suggested numerous times that he's some sort of control freak. And, tbf, has seemed a bit grumpy in recent years. Much less so this season.

I wonder if it's as simple as he was overburdened by all the periphery things he was obliged to deal with in recent seasons (not including this one). Perhaps the executive simply overloaded him and put far too much on his plate with not enough support as the review seemed to suggest.

Egan seems to be a good appointment from the outside and has taken a lot of that sh1t away from Bevo so he can concentrate on and do what he does best. It does appear that this has made a difference. Egan and Bevo look to have a mutual respect and a good working relationship.

He's been labelled stubborn and it's been suggested numerous times that he's some sort of control freak. And, tbf, has seemed a bit grumpy in recent years. Much less so this season.

I wonder if it's as simple as he was overburdened by all the periphery things he was obliged to deal with in recent seasons (not including this one). Perhaps the executive simply overloaded him and put far too much on his plate with not enough support as the review seemed to suggest.

Egan seems to be a good appointment from the outside and has taken a lot of that sh1t away from Bevo so he can concentrate on and do what he does best. It does appear that this has made a difference. Egan and Bevo look to have a mutual respect and a good working relationship.
It may be that the previous few years' lack of resources and quality support brought out some of Bevo's weaknesses (and we all have weaknesses—that's not a shot at Bevo). Whatever has happened, I gotta say, I like what I've seen from Bevo lately. Even the media performances have improved out of sight. And anyone who thinks he has lost the players surely must now concede that the players are engaged and working with the coaching staff.

AFL senior coaching is an incredibly high-pressure, 24/7 job with multiple responsibilities. Anyone holding that position has to be an exceptional person and we’ve seen some who’ve ultimately not been able to handle it. If Bevo has had too much on his shoulders it’s no wonder there were cracks. It’s heartening to see the situation seemingly improving and we should add our own support for his efforts.

By my reckoning ZTG, if you've purchased one mid, but then got away with waltzing past security with 13 fulls, you've come out in front by $27.30, and only outlaid $163.10
And had a far more enjoyable night, by the sounds of it! 🙂Hahaha
Hahahaha you are spot on, i did have to purchase 1 mid, so very happy to read my calculated saving of $27.30 whilst enjoying the mothers milk of Carlton Draft all night whilst the swans muppets next to me were sucking back on great northern dish water at an inflated price. Go dogs!

Absolutely spot on….now all you blokes who jumped off have to wait for the next train….this one is going express to another flag…you can catch the stopping all stations including East Richmond 😂

Although I did stumble across Chad Warner's draft profile the other day that listed lack of speed as his weakness!

Just a quick note on the goal kicking, 5 were rushed so in reality we kicked 12.11

And, one 'behind' was CD's touched with literally 5cm to spare...

The other point that I mentioned in another thread is that if we're all happy to go back to what I think we just about all see as original Bevo-ball, then this will be the norm.

The game style is to compress the ground with a hard, high press, so opposition trams will score easy goals out the back, and we will struggle to find space in a regularly (by design...well, at least a by-product of) crowded forward line.
[And, unfortunately, we don't have a Tory Dickson-like dead eye...]

Absolutely spot on….now all you blokes who jumped off have to wait for the next train….this one is going express to another flag…you can catch the stopping all stations including East Richmond 😂
Not so smug, gm!
You seem to be forgetting that Bevo (or, one could argue, the collective the coaching group) had lost their way by the end of last year, probably much earlier.

Changes had to be made and Bevo was not in a position to make them. He was going under. The new coaching group and reporting structure has given him some clear air, and has probably also brought quite a bit of the tactical improvement we are seeing.

I was more critical of the administration that took so long to deal with this than I was of Bevo. Better late than never, I suppose.

We are starting to see signs that off-season changes may be having some effect but it's still too early in my opinion to be certain the improvement will be sustained to the end of '24. We've been there before. Good signs though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contrary to popular belief, the flag express service on the Crazyburn line does not stop at Essendon

Last edited:
Not so smug, gm!
You seem to be forgetting that Bevo (or, one could argue, the collective the coaching group) had lost their way by the end of last year, probably much earlier.

Changes had to be made and Bevo was not in a position to make them. He was going under. The new coaching group and reporting structure has given him some clear air, and has probably also brought quite a bit of the tactical improvement we are seeing.

I was more critical of the administration that took so long to deal with this than I was of Bevo. Better late than never, I suppose.

We are starting to see signs that off-season changes may be having some effect but it's still too early in my opinion to be certain the improvement will be sustained to the end of '24. We've been there before. Good signs though!
How will history view the Hawthorn game? Small sample of games since no doubt, but from the players perspective it seems to have been a bit of a catalyst. An epiphany if you like that the game is hard and you have to work hard all the time against everyone.

Can’t agree. Bramble might not be the answer, but Daniel is still barbecued.

why? duryea and keath looked so cooked last year you could have held an Argentinian bbq and invited only them.

played well against the swans on a wing.

I guess defensively, we are worried they will play through his man given our new defensive setup relies more heavily on man on man?

How will history view the Hawthorn game? Small sample of games since no doubt, but from the players perspective it seems to have been a bit of a catalyst. An epiphany if you like that the game is hard and you have to work hard all the time against everyone.
There were two different season trajectories intersecting through that game. Ours and theirs.

Ours we are still pondering, but over the next two weeks Hawthorn went on to beat St Kilda and then pissed away a seemingly unassailable lead against Port, so their trajectory has definitely been up. You could no longer call them easybeats. No idea whether they'll beat Brisbane today. Brisbane are naturally the favourites but the bookies are showing respect for the Hawks - they are not giving terribly generous odds.

We may just have caught them at a pivotal moment in their season, the game where things started to click for them. Yes we should have beaten them (and would on current form) but it now doesn't seem quite as bad a loss as we thought at a time.

From the outside it's impossible to know if that game was a "line in the sand" moment for the players, or a wake-up call to the coaches. Possibly a bit of this and a bit of that.

And Hawthorn are playing some bloody good footy….not sure our result was that bad in context of their performances against teams supposedly better than us like Port and Bris

why? duryea and keath looked so cooked last year you could have held an Argentinian bbq and invited only them.

played well against the swans on a wing.

I guess defensively, we are worried they will play through his man given our new defensive setup relies more heavily on man on man?
This is true, however both offer more than Daniel does now IMO. The day of the dinky kick is over.

And Hawthorn are playing some bloody good footy….not sure our result was that bad in context of their performances against teams supposedly better than us like Port and Bris
Take norf out or relocate them (cough tassie cough) and it's a pretty even competition.

This is true, however both offer more than Daniel does now IMO. The day of the dinky kick is over.

I dont think so - it the day of the ball carrier - overlap run and forward handball. Daniel is a ball carrier, not a crab. Theres nothing inherently wrong with chip kicks as long as they keep the attacking flow moving forward at speed. And thats as much to do with what players are doing ahead of the ball as it is with the ball carrier. Its not like he is incapable of kicking 50m.

I think he has probably been out of the side for the same reasons as some other higher profile players - because we arent playing anyone who isnt prepared or capable of doing the required defensive running.

I'm still getting over a Swans nuffie demanding one of us get help when their brethren have been bleating psychotically for eight years about being 'robbed' of a premiership in a game they lost by nearly four goals.

A group of supporters that who have moaned non stop for eight years attempting to take the gloss off our flag, the first in 62 years.

They're so pissy, so pathetic, they couldn't even let us enjoy our moment, our day in the sun, they had to bring us down (led by their nutcase of a coach questioning the umpiring straight after the game lighting the fire for their bandwagon supporters to follow).

Did anyone try to bring down Sydney in 2005 - its 'drought breaking' flag? Was umpiring an issue in that game? Probably, it always is to a degree. Don't recall a peep from Eagles supporters sour at the loss.

So, yeah, a giant **** off to every Sydney 'supporter'. Your bunch have managed to dampen the greatest day our supporters have ever had (even if just by a fraction) by your constant carping ever since and I hate every one of you for it and will do forever.

Rant over.
Just revel in the joy of the win, and their continued self-inflicted misery and mental torture. I do wonder though, when they think it will be an appropriate amount of time before they move on. Will it be after this last game, where they had their umpires induced win, or at the 50th or 100th anniversary of their loss..🙄

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back