Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that bigfooty speculation from an anonymous poster is 100% reliable salary information
We know from Treloar that we weren't shy about pushing a bloke's salary back into later years. He could very well have a big payday coming, due to us having made a shambles of the cap but trying to keep the list together, it wouldn't surprise if they'd asked him to defer payments from one year and push them later.

It is a good point, none of Maynard, Grundy, Moore or Jordy DG will play in a flag with us so we might as well get what we can for them.

I donā€™t know about that! People keep trying to link Grundy to the Crows šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The other three are no chance.

Not sure that bigfooty speculation from an anonymous poster is 100% reliable salary information

Iā€™m happy to back it in! I doubt heā€™s on less than $6-700k in 2022 factoring in that he was a core player, entering his prime, signed pre-Covid, when we were mid premiership run, knowing we were back ending deals like crazy and factoring in the Beams deal.

Iā€™d guess he was on minimum chips for a player of his quality in 2020 building into decent money this year and outrageous money next year once we had Pendles dialing it back and had ridden out the worst of Coxā€™s contract.

The scary one for me is that Steele is probably owed about $1.5m over 2022-23.

Iā€™m happy to back it in! I doubt heā€™s on less than $6-700k in 2022 factoring in that he was a core player, entering his prime, signed pre-Covid, when we were mid premiership run, knowing we were back ending deals like crazy and factoring in the Beams deal.

Iā€™d guess he was on minimum chips for a player of his quality in 2020 building into decent money this year and outrageous money next year once we had Pendles dialing it back and had ridden out the worst of Coxā€™s contract.

The scary one for me is that Steele is probably owed about $1.5m over 2022-23.

A few on here stating that Maynard would be an RFA come the end of next year, but would his $$ not be based on the latest contract he would have signed? Last article I read had him on $400K per year to take him to free agency.

Surely this would have him in the Unrestricted Free Agency bracket?

A few on here stating that Maynard would be an RFA come the end of next year, but would his $$ not be based on the latest contract he would have signed? Last article I read had him on $400K per year to take him to free agency.

Surely this would have him in the Unrestricted Free Agency bracket?

When it comes to Collingwood players signed under Ned Guy we need to expect worst case scenario, IMO. On that basis Iā€™d suggest that the key part to that article from 2019 was that he was under contract at the time so most likely owed a lot of money in 2020.

I think the devil in the detail here was that the extension was 2 x $400k, but it was likely on top of $600k (or thereabouts) initially owed to him in 2020. Basically in order to accomodate other deals the new deal took him from $600k in 2020 to $300k in 2020, $400k in 2021 and $700k in 2022 or something along those lines. Basically he goes from being owed $600k for one year to being owed $1.4m over three.

I personally doubt heā€™ll be a UFA, but weā€™ll finish bottom three in 2022 so I donā€™t think it matters because any acquiring team will pay him enough for band 1 and weā€™d just take that.

Too late, set in concrete now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sick of people calling Maynard a 'heart and soul' player.

If the rumours are true and he has sounded out or at least had discussions with Melbourne (or any other club for that matter), his heart and soul aint at Collingwood.

Don't think there is any hesitation on re-signing him from the Pies top brass...

I see four assertions, all true, but not one saying he is staying. From that I would conclude that his future in uncertain.

Why would he make a definitive statement about something beyond his control, over 12 months before it even becomes an issue?

And Carlton are getting crucified for paying that much for half back flankers.

Nah, theyā€™re getting crucified because theyā€™re perennial under-achievers, nothing to do with what theyā€™re paying their HBFs.

Nah, theyā€™re getting crucified because theyā€™re perennial under-achievers, nothing to do with what theyā€™re paying their HBFs.
No - i think you'll find there is a lot of conjecture for what they're paying Martin, Saad and Williams who are all flankers.

Saad in particular vs what could have been gained for free in Hind.
Williams vs his output and professionalism
Martin vs his output

All of these have been discussed throughout the year across multiple media avenues. Its more than their underperforming.

Billyā€™s Back talking a lot of sense!

If Maynard canā€™t break into the midfield next year like he wants too, then $500-600k max is his range.

Is he a RFA at the end of 2022?

Why would a transition into the midfield substantially increase his potential earnings? Do people think Crisp will get a big pay rise off his midfield exposure this year? Do people assume heā€™d be pushing AA or Copeland or high Brownlow finishes if he moves?

No - i think you'll find there is a lot of conjecture for what they're paying Martin, Saad and Williams who are all flankers.

Saad in particular vs what could have been gained for free in Hind.
Williams vs his output and professionalism
Martin vs his output

All of these have been discussed throughout the year across multiple media avenues. Its more than their underperforming.

Not disputing that thereā€™s conjecture about what theyā€™re paying players theyā€™ve lured to the club via trade and FA, just as there is about their drafting. What I am disputing is whether itā€™s the primary reason theyā€™re being crucified by supporters and media. I donā€™t think it is. Certainly not what Iā€™m hearing.

But these half backs were supposed to help them challenge and go the next level. Midfielders far more important.

Last edited:
Why would a transition into the midfield substantially increase his potential earnings? Do people think Crisp will get a big pay rise off his midfield exposure this year? Do people assume heā€™d be pushing AA or Copeland or high Brownlow finishes if he moves?
I think a top midfielder is worth more than a top HBF. As a HBF he shouldnā€™t be able to command $800kpa. However, if he was a top midfielder (comparable to the best midfielders in the comp), then $800kpa could be the number

Last edited:
But these half backs were supposed to help them challenge and go the next level. Midfielders far more important.

Williams recruited as a midfielder.

I think a top midfielder is worth more than a top HBF. As a HBF he shouldnā€™t be able to command $800kpa. However, if he was a top midfielder (comparable to the best midfielders in the comp), then $800kpa could be the number

I agree, but thereā€™s no guarantee Maynard will ever be a ā€œtop midfielderā€. I donā€™t doubt heā€™d be useful in there, anything more than that is just hoping for the best case scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back