Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

In other news, apparently BM is putting in the hard yards with extra training sessions.
Maybe he’s told Fly of his desire to play midfield and Fly asked him to show how serious he is.
Good on him.

Am I the only one who thinks Maynard will never be a midfielder? why are people so keen to see him there?

Because our midfield suuuuuuuuuuucks!

Am I the only one who thinks Maynard will never be a midfielder? why are people so keen to see him there?

If we are to keep Maynard then I would be tempted to play him on a wing. Crisp I would play in the middle of the ground and on the other wing (at times).

We need a bit more grunt on the wings - Madgen, Noble, Murphy, Mayne, WHE were all a bit meh.

If we are to keep Maynard then I would be tempted to play him on a wing. Crisp I would play in the middle of the ground and on the other wing (at times).

We need a bit more grunt on the wings - Madgen, Noble, Murphy, Mayne, WHE were all a bit meh.
I feel like if Maynard is in need of upping his stamina to play in the centre then he is a ways off from having the necessary endurance to play wing

Why don't we just keep him in defence?

Because he could be more valuable in midfield. Apart from Adams we lack grunt.

You could very well be right but In terms of considering positional changes that is one I would certainly consider.

I feel like if Maynard is in need of upping his stamina to play in the centre then he is a ways off from having the necessary endurance to play wing

That could be right and maybe that is the challenge McRae has set him.

What are the endurance levels of Noble/WHE like?

Because he could be more valuable in midfield. Apart from Adams we lack grunt.

You could very well be right but In terms of considering positional changes that is one I would certainly consider.
Leave Maynard on the half back flank with Crisp. Leave the midfield to our youth.
Brown bros, Daicos bros, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, Bianco.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not Robinson Crusoe I have doubts but I do think it is worth exploring. Worst case he puts in the work and is capable of going through the middle when/if needed. Could be huge if we need to stop an opposition player in a run with type role, even briefly as a tactic to swing momentum. For me it about having options, my biggest issue with Bucks was his plan B, C & D.

You never know until you give it a go, as they say.

Yep, I haven't given up on Tyler yet. I'd love to see Cal surprise me but, I can't see it.
I think having a steady flow of reserves footy (fingers crossed) will allow Tyler to actually make some strides. Sucks that they both underwent shoulder reconstructions as this preseason would have been a big one with all the changes going on.

Leave Maynard on the half back flank with Crisp. Leave the midfield to our youth.
Brown bros, Daicos bros, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, Bianco.

Tyler Brown yes. The others are pretty raw. Crisp looks super when he attends centre bounces and certainly has the endurance, puts in repeat efforts, has the defensive side to his game as well.

I think the push for Maynard to have a crack in the guts (for me anyway) comes from wanting a bit more hardness around the contests/stoppages. When Adams is out we really lack that hard nosed mid that will will throw his body on the ball and be the initial distributor when it hits the ground. Cal Brown is the only other one who projects like that (and he's not that flash). Pendles, Sidey, Crisp, JDG, Daicos etc seem better on the outside of the contest as the receiver of the hard ball. Whether or not Maynard could be that player time will tell.

I like that he's giving it a crack. But there's a fair chance it will be a negative, as he will slim down and probably lose the ability to play on talls like he showed he can this year.

As part of my vocation, I need to go to meetings with clients, communicate with staff, professional development. However, I can’t due to the restrictions.

The rules don’t get bent for me, I’m not asking them too. I’m just stating that in no logical way does his “need to train” outweigh my client meetings, communicate with staff, professional development, etc.
Most go things you can probably do online. I'm in the same boat.

I think the push for Maynard to have a crack in the guts (for me anyway) comes from wanting a bit more hardness around the contests/stoppages. When Adams is out we really lack that hard nosed mid that will will throw his body on the ball and be the initial distributor when it hits the ground. Cal Brown is the only other one who projects like that (and he's not that flash). Pendles, Sidey, Crisp, JDG, Daicos etc seem better on the outside of the contest as the receiver of the hard ball. Whether or not Maynard could be that player time will tell.

Drafting inside mids has been a weakness of Hine. We recruited Ball and Adams in his time with the club. He's barely drafted any at all and none with success.

I’m 100% against him midfield. He’s a defender. An elite one at that plays small
And tall. Moving him mid isn’t even robbing Peter to pay Paul, it’s worse. Weakens our only A grade line, defence.
However, we have no players named Peter or Paul, so neither them will be out of pocket should Maynard make the move to the middle. On the other hand, we do have quite a few players who could slot into his defensive position. The move might be worth a try.

However, we have no players named Peter or Paul, so neither them will be out of pocket should Maynard make the move to the middle. On the other hand, we do have quite a few players who could slot into his defensive position. The move might be worth a try.
Im not sold on anyone replacing Maynard in the backline. We are already playing madge, noble there... I’d just prefer to keep Maynard in a position he’s great in. And try and repair the midfield other ways. I don’t see anyone on our list as good as Maynard as a 1 v 1 defender on smalls or talls. Keep the defence potentially elite, and strengthen the other lines is what I’d prefer

Im not sold on anyone replacing Maynard in the backline. We are already playing madge, noble there... I’d just prefer to keep Maynard in a position he’s great in. And try and repair the midfield other ways. I don’t see anyone on our list as good as Maynard as a 1 v 1 defender on smalls or talls. Keep the defence potentially elite, and strengthen the other lines is what I’d prefer
It's definitely a valid argument, particularly as training for midfield will likely see him lose some of his size and thus ability to play on talls.

But if Maynard is really keen on getting a crack at midfield - I'd give him a go, as it's pretty easy to go style if you're doing the same role when it's one you don't really want to be doing. Could be like Howe, who had to try his hand at forward to realise he's a much better defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back