Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

And not 1 person will question how a player knocked out for 2 mins, with a history of concussion, is allowed to play 2 weeks after the incident.

They are all about player welfare when it suits them.
Exactly. I watched the replay (again) yesterday and thought similar about Brayshaw's head high free just prior..he just dives head first into the contest. No one from Dee's camp takes him off to check if he's okay.

speaking of concussion..amazing how many times Rayner seems to be "accidentally "taking players out with his knee flying for marks .. ..he got Ryan and Murphy at docklands and he kneed port player last week..I hope fly has seen this and if we do play them in two weeks we act..

I have noticed this too but how exactly would any opponent/opposition coach act against this? The bloke crashes packs hard and he might end up getting hurt doing it but I am not sure what anyone could do to prevent it.

It will be interesting to see whether the AFL can manage what you couldn't; to propose a workable rule change which makes sense and doesn't threaten the essence of the game.

Kane Cornes was right enough to point out yesterday that the logic of any proposed change will probably dictate a ban of spectacular marking.

Defensive spoils won't be far behind.

In other words, it's not hyperbole to suggest that the game is at risk of outlawing its own existence.

It will be interesting to see whether the AFL can manage what you couldn't; to propose a workable rule change which makes sense and doesn't threaten the essence of the game.

Kane Cornes was right enough to point out yesterday that the logic of any proposed change will probably dictate a ban of spectacular marking.

In other words, it's not hyperbole to suggest that the game is at risk of outlawing its own existence.
Further changes just add to the confusion. Just let these unusual incidents play out in the Tribunal with a decision based upon the arguments presented and debated. I’d hate to see any player cop a few weeks for a similar incident as Maynard’s when they really were just playing the game and the opponent contributing to the concussion.

Further changes just add to the confusion. Just let these unusual incidents play out in the Tribunal with a decision based upon the arguments presented and debated. I’d hate to see any player cop a few weeks for a similar incident as Maynard’s when they really were just playing the game and the opponent contributing to the concussion.
This type of accident will happen more often due to the 666 rule.
Defenders are separated from the mids which means they will always be running straight at breakaway mids in order to close down space.
Maybe the AFL should look at themselves rather than changing rules any further.

It’s interesting they’re considering what I predicted to happen yet you still find another way to insult me. But I’m the troll here…

They won't have to worry about law suites killing the game as if they remove physical contact they will do it themselves.

It’s interesting they’re considering what I predicted to happen yet you still find another way to insult me. But I’m the troll here…

This is not true. I have respect and affection for you.

I've shifted my concerns to the people who have the power to dismember the game: the AFL.

I think this whole saga plays out differently and without some of the hysteria if it involved a player without Brayshaw’s concussion history. Understandably there was concern both for Brayshaw and his family however the fact remains that he continues to sign up knowing the short term and long term risks of doing so.
Bruzzy and his family had to endure a very public assault on his character for days in the aftermath yet there seemed to be very little concern for their mental health.
He has essentially been cleared of being careless and indulging in rough conduct so I’ll be very interested to see how the AFL describes such an incident if they seek to tweak the rules. As others have pointed out it would require a very generalised interpretation of what constitutes careless conduct that would jeopardise many fundamental parts of our game. Unintentional high contact - 3weeks, surely not.

As Laura Kane pointed out, the AFL review all rules after every season so no real surprise there. They also have a 5 year plan in place focusing specifically on sports related head injuries which reviews the rules and other aspects of the game in light of the findings made in relation to head injuries. This began in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have noticed this too but how exactly would any opponent/opposition coach act against this? The bloke crashes packs hard and he might end up getting hurt doing it but I am not sure what anyone could do to prevent it.
Good point .. but just so as our defenders if we play them are aware of it , and maybe let him know we are aware of it ..we don’t want to go one player down in a grand final if we make it .. Rayner taking out players quite regularly recently .maybe Howie can start sticking his knee into him flying for marks ..or even one of our defenders can let him
Know if it happens again he will need to be careful of the back of his head

Last edited:
This was lost in the whole Inside 50 BS.

The Maynard collision resulted in the Dees only scoring shot in the first 45 mins of the game.

Yes that was…

giphy.gif

… unexpected.

Think it will be along the lines of “leaving your feet to make high contact when not in a marking contest”, or some similar wank.

And not 1 person will question how a player knocked out for 2 mins, with a history of concussion, is allowed to play 2 weeks after the incident.

They are all about player welfare when it suits them.

Spot on… if Melbourne, the Brayshaws or the AFL for that matter, were truely concerned for Angus’s(?) wellbeing they wouldn’t allow him anywhere near a football field…

Spot on… if Melbourne, the Brayshaws or the AFL for that matter, were truely concerned for Angus’s(?) wellbeing they wouldn’t allow him anywhere near a football field…
If Melbourne were so concerned with concussion issues, they’d also issue a club imposed sanction on van rooyen for 3-4 weeks as an example.

I reckon Maynard will have a target on his back if that match up eventuates.

Viney is a angry little midget who just think's he's a hard man, WHE threw him around when he tried to get up in Bruzzy's face. Rest of them are a bunch of sooky sniping bullies playing "the Melbourne way".

Can see them trying to go the punch ala 1990 vs the Bombers and ending up with a similar result both in the fight and on the scoreboard.

Viney is a angry little midget who just think's he's a hard man, WHE threw him around when he tried to get up in Bruzzy's face. Rest of them are a bunch of sooky sniping bullies playing "the Melbourne way".

Can see them trying to go the punch ala 1990 vs the Bombers and ending up with a similar result both in the fight and on the scoreboard.
F467FF98-A299-41EB-9187-3B4AF15E71F7.jpeg

Real tough 🙄
Looked like he crapped himself at that very moment. Lucky he wasn’t wearing white shorts like Ben Keays

Remove this Banner Ad

Back