Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potential is what you might do one day. Talent is what you exhibit and he exhibited it in the cauldron of finals footy. I think he would have been selected without any pontificating every week of the finals and the last few home and away games. Lordy, Cotchin still averages around 20 possessions on a good day and he is apparently a superstar cause he tries really hard.
Here's what I think the second year blues are. Year 1 supporters focus on what the kid can do, opposition clubs don't yet know what the kid can't do. Year 2, opposition clubs and the supporters focus on what the kid can't do.

Probably knows theres been heaps of hype around him, and is struggling abit with expectations, he’s 100% worth persisting with though.

Hopefully other clubs stay away.

First couple of games back this year he was giving essentially what he offered last year but has fallen well below that the last few games. We desperately need more from him. Can't see him going anywhere until either Beams or Wells return but if he doesn't extract the digit he might find Tyler Brown usurping his spot.

Although he has been on the list longer, he seems to be suffering the "second year blues", as it is in essence his second year given his first few were ruined by injury.

I also don't think he is getting used right in the guts. I didn't see him in the centre bounces as often as I'm used to. It seems De Goey is taking some of this time away from him...or he just isn't fit enough to play there.

As it stands, if he isn't playing in the guts, and he isn't winning the ball, then I'd be considering Wills in his place given his recent form...or just backing in what we have and brining in an extra defender instead.

If he's back in the VFL training group (according to Jen) with virtually an entire team unavailable for various reasons and doesn't play the writing is on the wall. Essendon keen, not sure what you'd get though.

If he's back in the VFL training group (according to Jen) with virtually an entire team unavailable for various reasons and doesn't play the writing is on the wall. Essendon keen, not sure what you'd get though.
We have to drop him, but we also have to try to retain him. He and the Brown boys are the only young mids on our list. Tyler is very unknown and Callum may be too small to be a full timer in the role.

We have to drop him, but we also have to try to retain him. He and the Brown boys are the only young mids on our list. Tyler is very unknown and Callum may be too small to be a full timer in the role.
If he doesn't come good you risk losing any value to trade him for a consistent young mid, it's a catch 22 I'll grant you

Player contract procedures should never interfere with selection decisions.

If a player quits the club just because he’s been dropped for being out of form then maybe that’s not the kind of person we want at the club.

That said I think we should persist with him in the 22 and run him into form that way.

Player contract procedures should never interfere with selection decisions.

If a player quits the club just because he’s been dropped for being out of form then maybe that’s not the kind of person we want at the club.

That said I think we should persist with him in the 22 and run him into form that way.
That might have been the thinking a few weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that sentiment but sometimes the bravest selection decision is to persist.

Especially when our depth is challenged and there’s no obvious candidates to replace him.
If any of our stars had a month like he's had, I'd want them dropped, but could understand keeping them in. But Sier hasn't earnt that.

If any of our stars had a month like he's had, I'd want them dropped, but could understand keeping them in. But Sier hasn't earnt that.

Agree he hasn’t earned it.

Disagree on the way to get more out of him. I think continuing to select him and demanding better is the way to go. Especially given the options at our disposal

Agree he hasn’t earned it.

Disagree on the way to get more out of him. I think continuing to select him and demanding better is the way to go. Especially given the options at our disposal

We're all different, some of us need to be driven to where we are expected to be, others need to come to a realisation themselves and find their own path. I think Sier (from what little we know) falls into the latter group on that continuum. Who knows what will trigger that realisation.

We're all different, some of us need to be driven to where we are expected to be, others need to come to a realisation themselves and find their own path. I think Sier (from what little we know) falls into the latter group on that continuum. Who knows what will trigger that realisation.

He’s had injuries with no preseason and also more recently has taken some big body hits and suffered concussion. Perhaps his lack of form is as much physical as mental which is what everybody seems to assume.

He’s had injuries with no preseason and also more recently has taken some big body hits and suffered concussion. Perhaps his lack of form is as much physical as mental which is what everybody seems to assume.

Who has suggested 1 or the other? All I've read are statements stating that he's obviously out of form.

I’m more on your page.

Though his form is fairly a cause to trigger a spell in the VFL. How the selectors go, unsure. But he’s a little too close to the precipice.
I’m sure he’ll only improve.

I’m more on your page.

Though his form is fairly a cause to trigger a spell in the VFL. How the selectors go, unsure. But he’s a little too close to the precipice.
I’m sure he’ll only improve.

Or he won't. Ball is in his court.

I just think he doesn't really know how to play his position. Doesn't hunt the footy. Just stamds around waiting for it to come to him. He got away with it last year because our mids, Adams in particular, were on fire.

Doesn't hunt the footy. Just stands around waiting for it to come to him.
He doesn't seem to have the ability to anticipate the play/the next move.
He's excellent at anticipating where he should handball to but doesn't seem to do that, (move) himself.
Plays like Geoff Hayward.

He doesn't seem to have the ability to anticipate the play/the next move.
He's excellent at anticipating where he should handball to but doesn't seem to do that, (move) himself.
Plays like Geoff Hayward.

It's one of the issues of recruiting/rating blokes on attributes rather than performance. He's a keeper for mine though. May never really learn the game, but if he does, he'll be a ripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back