Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
THS is okay.

Just has a different way of dissecting things and history has shown me he gets a lot more right than he gets wrong, even if people pull out the odd error of judgement as some sort of highlight on his general observations.
It's just happens to be that the more one has to say, the more there may be a chance of getting something wrong. One can say nothing and never get anything wrong, but how boring is that? Let me answer it: Very Boring. :)
No, if he's okay than it's fine. Just, the post in question could very easily be interpreted as almost a cry for help, and over the past week I've gotten a bit sick of how unbelievably acrimonious we've become recently.

People are genuine about their statements, most of the time. It's if he's not coming from an analytical standpoint but an emotive one that led me to ask that.

Disgruntled - absolutely!

Don't know about the former employee part though.

Just for the record, I backed Bolton in for his first few years and didn't even bat an eyelid when we lost so many games in the back end of last season. At least we had some semblance of a gameplan and some sort of identity. What I'm seeing now is an extremely steep decline, one that cannot be ignored.

Yet you ignore the lack of continuity due to the amount of injuries

16 players trialed in the back half alone

Enlighten me on how any gameplan, would have been successful

Yet the 2 years previous is a stark contrast

No, if he's okay than it's fine. Just, the post in question could very easily be interpreted as almost a cry for help, and over the past week I've gotten a bit sick of how unbelievably acrimonious we've become recently.

People are genuine about their statements, most of the time. It's if he's not coming from an analytical standpoint but an emotive one that led me to ask that.

I don't like speaking for others but can guarantee you there's no cry for help.

It may not come across as being the case, but his analysis is much deeper than may be seen to be. That's all I'll say.

I'm not trying to be snide or for this to be any kind of put down, but are you okay?

You come on here and you post this kind of thing, which is less pessimism and more plummeting into the genuine depths of sadness. Our current vicissitudes are clearly impacting you, in a way that is not healthy. I don't have a huge issue with you coming on here to vent, if that's what you need. But ultimately, if footy is so bleak for you, perhaps taking a step back is a good idea.
I'm healthy
it's just goo things are lol

are we supposed to ignore the elephant in the room?

dangerous to be drinking our own bathwater

Then Judd on Footy Classified denied that was the case. He said terms and conditions of the contract were updated (things like securities for Bolton and the club etc), but that the nature of his ongoing employment hadn't changed at all. So he isn't "locked in" until 2020, just a few terms and conditions of the contract were amended until that date whereby they will be review again, which was then misreported as him being locked in.

We've have 5 coaches since Parko. Two younger coaches that have never played AFL, two old dinosaurs and a young coach who had played AFL. Only one has had any success, finals and a better than 50% winning record. Not hard to guess which one, the rest took us to the bottom of the ladder.

Yet you ignore the lack of continuity due to the amount of injuries

16 players trialed in the back half alone

Enlighten me on how any gameplan, would have been successful

Yet the 2 years previous is a stark contrast

Last year we won 6 games but led 7 times in last qtrs and lost so you'd expect under normal circumstances aan 8-9 win season. Injuries are an excuse for 5-6 wins, maybe ever 4 at a stretch. Not one! For one win it's a cop out and just covers up other issues. The sides we have sent out are still better than one win. You have to look at what's going on on the field to see we're not exactly progressing. By year 3 there should be enough structure in place, the players should be well drilled enough to partially, obviously not totally, cover for the injury issues as the game is more about the "system" on-field then individuals. All I see is confusion as to the game plan and a lack of effort. That's why we have one win more so than injuries per se. Collingwood and Sydney are alot more talented than us admittedly but they have been smashed by injury but new blokes come in and slot straight into the structure and system and become part of the "chain". Sydney had 9 players on Sunday with had played less than 25 games.

Last year we won 6 games but led 7 times in last qtrs and lost so you'd expect under normal circumstances aan 8-9 win season. Injuries are an excuse for 5-6 wins, maybe ever 4 at a stretch. Not one! For one win it's a cop out and just covers up other issues. The sides we have sent out are still better than one win. You have to look at what's going on on the field to see we're not exactly progressing. By year 3 there should be enough structure in place, the players should be well drilled enough to partially, obviously not totally, cover for the injury issues as the game is more about the "system" on-field then individuals. All I see is confusion as to the game plan and a lack of effort. That's why we have one win more so than injuries per se. Collingwood and Sydney are alot more talented than us admittedly but they have been smashed by injury but new blokes come in and slot straight into the structure and system and become part of the "chain". Sydney had 9 players on Sunday with had played less than 25 games.

May I ask what you do for work?

We've have 5 coaches since Parko. Two younger coaches that have never played AFL, two old dinosaurs and a young coach who had played AFL. Only one has had any success, finals and a better than 50% winning record. Not hard to guess which one, the rest took us to the bottom of the ladder.

What's your point?
Are you trying to say successful coaches need to have played afl recently? Because that isnt true.

Then Judd on Footy Classified denied that was the case. He said terms and conditions of the contract were updated (things like securities for Bolton and the club etc), but that the nature of his ongoing employment hadn't changed at all. So he isn't "locked in" until 2020, just a few terms and conditions of the contract were amended until that date whereby they will be review again, which was then misreported as him being locked in.
His salary is locked in till 2020.

most who?

I'd say most rational football fans would agree.

If you have a look at the two lists, it shouldn't take you too long to realize they are not even comparable. Apples and oranges.

most young players have gone backwards

Have you considered a career with the Herald Sun? This is the sort of untrue rubbish I expect to see written by their 'journalists'.

A number of our younger players have unfortunately not has as a good an opportunity to progress as we would have liked. Very few have actually gone backwards, whilst all of Cripps, Curnow, Fisher, McKay, Kerr, Polson, Dow and O'Brien have progressed.

Stage two is what I am extremely concerned about.

I'm not concerned at all right now, and think it is only fair we reassess at the end of next year.

Injuries have killed us this year, and too many are too quick to dismiss the impact that can have on a young side. Some will say I am making excuses, but that is the reality.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brains trust are not united and have very little idea as to what they are doing. Too scared to make a move for fear of forking things up even more and for fear of been shown up for the complete mess ups they are. Unfortunately 'if it aint broke dont fix it' doesn't apply here.

You know this how? Everything I’ve seen shows a very united group. Please explain how you know this

What's your point?
Are you trying to say successful coaches need to have played afl recently? Because that isnt true.

I think he's saying the club sacked the only coach that took us forward in the last 16 years only to make the same mistake they had made 6 years earlier (appointing aan outdated old school coach past his prime). They then sacked that coach only to make the same mistake they have made 14 years earlier (appointing a coach that had never played AFL).

We really don't learn from our mistakes too well.

Sorry I can't divulge. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish. I don't blame you. This is an online forum after all. :D

My source is very influential and high up in the club?

I can make BS up too

My source is very influential and high up in the club?

I can make BS up too

I have no issues whether you choose to believe or not. But think about it carefully. If you were a board member would you approve of Carlton's stance re the priority pick or do you honestly think all would be in agreement? If the pres and CEO came out with such statements without consulting with the rest of the board would you be happy?

I'm not concerned at all right now, and think it is only fair we reassess at the end of next year.

Injuries have killed us this year, and too many are too quick to dismiss the impact that can have on a young side. Some will say I am making excuses, but that is the reality.

That's fair. I'd like to see some evidence of continuous development instead of the same mistakes being made by players across the board regardless of age and experience. There has been none (well, insufficient, for my liking). But that's entirely fair. I have to admit that my own professional experience comes from a sport where there are a) much fewer players to coach and b) where one or two individuals can make a world of difference due to the construct of the game. I'm sure there are similarities but probably enough major differences that my trained eye is looking for things that may never actually be present.

I have no issues whether you choose to believe or not. But think about it carefully. If you were a board member would you approve of Carlton's stance re the priority pick or do you honestly think all would be in agreement? If the pres and CEO came out with such statements without consulting with the rest of the board would you be happy?

"Captain's Call" by CEO and President? Judd seemed pretty on-board.

No need to make any comment about whether we would or whether we wouldn't submit a request for a PP.

Reeks of false machismo and panic.

A lot of people don't know how game plans work and how they are broken down. You have to have the abilities to implement a game plan which we don't. You have to be able to successfully carry out the fundamentals of football which we can't consistently. The game plan discussion ends there as far as I am concerned. I've seen it broken down a lot and a lot of that comes down to injuries and the quality of players.

We've tried an attacking game plan a number of times this season. Tried to force the ball up the middle and move it faster. Played extra numbers forward of the ball and tried to turn the footy over closer to goal and at moments it's worked but most of the time the opposition just roast us and score heavily against. So we play numbers back and look to turn the ball over in our backline and this works best for us because of our abilities but it limits our scoring greatly and slows down our forward ball movement but we have to do it.

With a good side we're better off being a bit more attacking and when we get better we will but at this stage we have to defend and defend deep but we can't get caught in the habit of it. It's not what will win us a flag and it's exhausting for players and makes it hard to score but we have to do it so we aren't flogged by 100 points every week.

I've seen our game plan work enough times to know that it's sound but it takes a half competitive team in to do it which we have rarely had.

Strong bodies, leg speed, experience, skill and hunger to apply pressure and attack the footy will get us there but at this stage a lot of this is lacking.

When we lose it's because we're slow, too small, not strong enough, not skilled enough, too many inexperienced players in and not enough talk and direction, Not enough pressure, not enough forward power to win it and lock it in up there, weak defenders, lose one on one and contests and get out run in general. Not winning the footy enough. Not enough run and carry. None of that is related to game plan. Get those things right and there's a number of game plans that will work but at this stage we're not at a level where we can have a real balanced and solid game plan.

I'd like to see us have more run and attack and leadership in defence. Kick longer and move it quicker off the turnover. Looking at who is missing you can see why that can't work. Our best back 7 is good enough to defend on it's own without having to push numbers back so we can attack more with them but they have mostly been out most of the season. So we have to push numbers back so we can defend because who we have aren't good enough to defend 6 on 6.

I'd like to see us move the ball up the middle more and quicker but we can't because we can't play enough players forward of the ball. Too much energy spent on pushing back because if we don't we get scored heavily against by anyone. We can't because we are too slow and too many poor kicks.

I'd like to see us lock the ball in the forward line more but we can't because we haven't got the hard runners to lead and mark and we only have one player in the side who can take a strong mark. Our smaller forwards are too slow and lack the hunger to apply forward pressure. Some of our forwards are probably struggling more like Silvagni because as a forward he's pushing back a lot more and a lot deeper.

I think we've had a few games where we have been let of the leash a bit to see what happens and what we can do to give us a chance to play the footy we want to build a team to be able to play and we have seen some poor results from that, especially against other lower sides.

There is so so much that has to happen before we can implement a game plan that works and works consistently against most teams.

First thing is we need to have a back 7 who can defend 6 on 6 and can really read the game, kick, mark and rebound really well. Had that at times the last few seasons but not this year because of injuries. Do that and we can be more attacking, save our forwards energy for forward play, move it direct and make space. I've seen us do that but we don't have the personnel. Second thing is winning contested ball and having run and skill in the midfield to move and carry the ball and apply pressure. We've done this at times too but we lose a lot of contests because of the amount of light young players we have out there and we get out run because older players are going to be fitter with more preseasons. The forward line isn't great but if we get good enough where they don't have to press back and defend as much they may apply pressure better. Talent needs to be added there. Get that right and the game plans we implement will work but at this stage we are rarely fielding teams which are AFL standard.

Yes he is.

I’m not thinking about anytthong carefully thanks very much & I’m sick of s**t stirrers

How about you think carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back