Remove this Banner Ad

Palmyra_Demon

Draftee
Suspended
Jun 7, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Just curious as to what is going on with Bret Thornton. He hasn't played much this year. Is he going to be delisted?? or is he just injured??? Or is he just out of form???

• Banned
Club and Player have an agreement to find a new home for Bret in 2011. Few Vic clubs sniffing around. Likely to be a swap for a pick in the 30's or around that mark.

Note: Can we try and keep the talk about Bret here positive. He gets absoloutley canned on this board, and whilst it hasnt worked out as we and Bret would have liked in 2010, he gave us 8-9 years of great service and helped us along when the times were really really bad. Being asked to play Full Back when your undersized in the worst team in the competetion for 5 years is bloody tough, and Bret did as good a job as we could have asked for. Thanks for the service Bret!

I agree he has earned the respect for the service he has provided. I am sorry to see him go. Wasn't sure what was happening with him thats why i started this thread.

Note: Can we try and keep the talk about Bret here positive. He gets absoloutley canned on this board, and whilst it hasnt worked out as we and Bret would have liked in 2010, he gave us 8-9 years of great service and helped us along when the times were really really bad. Being asked to play Full Back when your undersized in the worst team in the competetion for 5 years is bloody tough, and Bret did as good a job as we could have asked for. Thanks for the service Bret!

Could not agree more - played in probably the weakest defence of the last decade and gave 100% all the time.

Thanks for the service, Bret :thumbsu:

Good luck in the future

Great pick up BIB, T-Bird gets maligned too often on these boards, unfairly.

I have always liked and always will like Bret Thornton. He was better suited as a 3rd defender but as mentioned had to carry the load for many years. Pity that he won't get to enjoy some better times with us.

All the best.

I actually really thought Thornton would be the leader of our backline, looking better and better in a stronger and stronger side.

Clearly that wasn't the case this year, and he sure seemed to be well out of favour with the match committee.

*Shrug*. We've had far far worse players than Bret Thornton. I would still have him in the side ahead of some guys we play.

Maybe I'm wrong... (it happened that one time).

I remember him trying to get traded to Hawthorn... maybe we can send him there and a pick for Osborne (heard rumours of him leaving)?

I don't think that will happen, you had your chance with 2 second rounders 3 years ago, we don't need another 3rd defender we need an out right KP defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple - 3 years ago we finished last, this year we were less than a kick away from a second semi final

Not talking about three years ago...more an off-hand observation that the defense that trotted out this year was still the same injury plagued, under manned mob from last year...just less Thornton for much of it.

The Thornton of 09 should and would have got a game every week this year. Mystery as to why his game dropped off to such an extent.

Brett has been an excellent servant for the club over the past 6-8 years. He got used to being the #1 defender and the general of the backline. However over the last couple of years we have seen the emergence of Russell and his assumption of that role in our defence.

Thornton, IMO, this year has cracked the sads about it and hasnt played to his best to his detriment. From this we can assume that it caused his form to drop off and for him to start showing his frustration out on the field as he tried to reclaim the leadership of the defence.

However, the sprays that he was dishing out to people were petty and small minded (giving Simmo a spray for not spoiling Sandilands in the first freo game) and his staging for free kicks.

The coaching staff probably had a word with him about his attitude on the field and gave him a deadline to improve. When he didnt he went down to the Ants and acted like a kid who had his favorite toy taken off him and performed badly in the ants.

This has lead to an acrimonious situation and unfortunately it has come down to either the player goes or the coach goes and the coach in AFL is always going to win when the club is doing well.

I have liked Brett over the years when we were in the s**t and he was down there trying to get us out of it. However, his attitude and behaviour on the field this year has soured things a bit for me and I can see the benefits of trading him if he is truly no longer happy at the club.

I wont be following his career as much as I have been with Josh Kennedy, but I do wish him well.

Totally agree :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

It's a shame about his attitude, as I think he could be really helpful to Carlton at the moment. There's no doubt in my mind that Michael Jamison's poor form towards the end of the season was due to the lack of a quality third tall (and Paul Bower's poor form didn't help either.)

have a soft spot for any up from the rookie list. still remember those games he reduced m richardson to frustration, and the jobs on lloyd. those names from the past which probably says something. but i'm sure he'll do ok at another club.

Not sure who will be interested in him but I would guess about pick 30 is probably what we will get. Plenty of good players picked at 30 though which, if we get lucky and use it well will be good for us.

Pity we did't let him go to Hawthorn who were going to pay over his value for him. But what would we have got, I can't remember their offer? I suppose seeing he was a rookie pick and to get a pick like 30 in the main draft would still be a kind of upgrade.

Trade period will be very interesting for the blues.

Club and Player have an agreement to find a new home for Bret in 2011. Few Vic clubs sniffing around. Likely to be a swap for a pick in the 30's or around that mark.

Well said BIB.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I for one appreciate his service to the Carlton Football Club. Disappointing how quickly some of our supporters jump off our own and are happy to can them. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back