Toast Brett Deledio

Remove this Banner Ad

He gave us great service and we got overs at the end of it, and a flag. 2 x B&F and 2 x AA in different seasons, barely missed a game for nine years straight, no off-field bulls**t. Maybe he didn't have that mental component that makes absolute champions, but how many truly complete footballers have there been?

And was a pleasure to watch. I don't think there's anything at all to be resentful about.
I openly admit he was a good footballer. I am not resentful, unfortunately for him the cards fell the wrong way and he missed a flag. I just don't hold with the premise that he was a star.

I openly admit he was a good footballer. I am not resentful, unfortunately for him the cards fell the wrong way and he missed a flag. I just don't hold with the premise that he was a star.
So what's a star in your eyes then?!?

Top flight Tiger, that stayed with us & gave his best years to the RFC....All the best in retirement Brett, whatever you choose to do......Maybe Father/daughter possibilities?? :richmond: Go Tiges!!

All the best in retirement Lids ... great career and near single-handedly carried us through more than few dark years.
The win-loss record without him, which at one point stood at about 3 -22, spoke volumes of his ability to make is a better team and his impact on the field.
No doubt a few sooks will choose to cloud their judgment by that one time Lids didn't comply with an autograph request (which mind you plenty of AFL footballers, including ours do), but I will remember a supremely talented footballer, who gave his all for the yellow and black and was undeniably one of the best Tigers players of his era.

Good luck to him, really was ruined by injuries in the end, which I’m sure would have played a part in him and the club deciding a fresh start was needed.
A lot of people don’t realise the off field family problems he’s had to play though the last couple of years that nobody should have to worry with, so I wish him all the best, his sister in law and her youngest son both died of cancer within months of each other.

Great post mate :thumbsu:
A lot of great perspective offered.

Great player, very consistent and could play in all parts of the ground. Great career and very solid pick at #1.

He had the opportunity to be a truly respected club great, similar to a Bob Murphy or Jarryd Roughead, but I think sadly he will be remembered more for leaving. It's a reminder that there's more value in being a great club man than chasing a flag in my opinion. I'm sure he regrets it more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he will ever reveal the amount of hurt he must have felt when he watched us win that premiership

Imagine seeing players new to the club and not near his talent who hadnt endured the bad times celebrating and becoming Richmond immortals.

Its a shame that his great efforts happened in an era where alot of us want to forget.

All the best in retirement Brett. Still remember the excited posts on here when we drafted you at number one.

The trade is now richmond folklore. Netted us valuable picks we then cashed in for flag success. Unbelievable trade period for us. No one saw it coming... definitely not Lids. Would never have won it with him. Was a true champ through the lean years.

No doubt a fantastic player, glad he was never captain and strangely couldn't really care if he played on or retired.

Tigers in such a different place now thankfully.
Seeing and hearing this type of post, sort of reminds and confirms to me, That 'this is why' Lids was known to snub and be rude to the odd fan.

Seeing and hearing this type of post, sort of reminds and confirms to me, That 'this is why' Lids was known to snub and be rude to the odd fan.

Exactly ...... some fans simply have no respect and I've seen it.
Funnily enough (and won't be popular), the only player I have seen blatantly snub fans and ignore the supporter base was #4 during the pre-season camp in Bendigo a few years ago. When the players ended their training session, all bar one stayed out on the oval to sign autographs. Same bloke went straight to the rooms and eventually headed to the team bus with headphones on.
I bet the posters potting Lids won't #4.

People have short memories. Lids was a gun, severely underrated cos of the teams he played in. It took the footy world years to wake up to how good he was. I can’t remember which year but Gary Lyon (i think) tipped him to win the Brownlow one pre season. He was a 2x AA and probably had two other years he should have made it. One year in particular when Harry-O was named the hbf instead.

Shame he left but I’m in the camp that our culture wouldn’t have changed had he stayed so as unfortunate as it is for Brett I am obvs glad with how it worked out.

Exactly ...... some fans simply have no respect and I've seen it.
Funnily enough (and won't be popular), the only player I have seen blatantly snub fans and ignore the supporter base was #4 during the pre-season camp in Bendigo a few years ago. When the players ended their training session, all bar one stayed out on the oval to sign autographs. Same bloke went straight to the rooms and eventually headed to the team bus with headphones on.
I bet the posters potting Lids won't #4.

dusty often completely ignores fans and heads in silence to the rooms (has happened to me) however he is rarely if ever a complete w***er to them like figjam tarongaledio was all the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back