Player Watch Brett Turner - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

im not 100% sure but i believe that poster revealed himself as Ben Keays brother, anyway...i agree mate, well and truly tired of incompetence.
My little contributions here are often repeats of my previous posts. I understand a lot of what is said is not supposed to be personal and it comes from a place of loving a footy club…but having been a lifelong lions supporter and now in recent years having a strong vested interest in the Crows, it bewilders me some of the attitude fans in Adelaide have against their own players.

As I have said, the Brisbane Lions used to trot a midfield out of Pearce Hanley, Tom Rockliff and Dayne Beams whilst we got thumped every week. They tried their hearts out and we applauded them for it. I completely get it if Ben (and Laird who I think unfairly cops it to an even greater extent from a small minority) were clogging up midfield spots while grossly underperforming - but they aren’t!! I just don’t get it.

My little contributions here are often repeats of my previous posts. I understand a lot of what is said is not supposed to be personal and it comes from a place of loving a footy club…but having been a lifelong lions supporter and now in recent years having a strong vested interest in the Crows, it bewilders me some of the attitude fans in Adelaide have against their own players.

As I have said, the Brisbane Lions used to trot a midfield out of Pearce Hanley, Tom Rockliff and Dayne Beams whilst we got thumped every week. They tried their hearts out and we applauded them for it. I completely get it if Ben (and Laird who I think unfairly cops it to an even greater extent from a small minority) were clogging up midfield spots while grossly underperforming - but they aren’t!! I just don’t get it.
Okay. So you love Lairdy and Benny. Great effort players who can definitely win their own ball.

How about a player swap? Laird for Lachie Neale. Deal or no deal?

...there's your answer as to why we feel like we do.

But... Brett Turner is our new man now. Stop circling looking for another Crows player at charity rates.

I actually really like your brother gives 100% effort and has played some outstanding games this year, but I also do understand that he is not the best kick of the football and that's why he is a B and not an A grade midfielder. Alot of posters on here are very passionate about the club and we've made some absolute baffling decisions in the past 4 or 5 drafts, we are very very desperate for a gun mid....but our club seems to think we are stacked for midfielders for some reason, we are all very frustrated, selection policies, drafting, mid season drafting....it all adds up, might take a few more years of vested interest for you to understand the frustration but appreciate your contribution.

Okay. So you love Lairdy and Benny. Great effort players who can definitely win their own ball.

How about a player swap? Laird for Lachie Neale. Deal or no deal?

...there's your answer as to why we feel like we do.

But... Brett Turner is our new man now. Stop circling looking for another Crows player at charity rates.
How's Cam Ellis-Yolmen and his 4 year contract going for Brisbane?

This isn’t a mid-season trade period. In a pursuit of the same premiership, Adelaide have picked off one of the main threats from the opposition to play for them and there is nothing Glenelg can do about it. It’s rubbish.

It’s not so bad when a player goes interstate and tolerable when you lose a player at the end of the year.

If the AFL clubs want to use the State Leagues as practice, they shouldn’t have a mid season draft. It makes a mockery of them.

Most of these blokes have been on AFL lists before - the only reason they are playing Sanfl is to showcase their talent to get back on to one again.
Sanfl clubs should expect 1-2 players to go either during the year or at the end of the year. It’s not like Glenelg spent a heap developing this lad. They recruited him as a proven commodity knowing there was a chance he would be very short term

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I certainly would have preferred Carmichael (as I think he's going to be a very good AFL mid) but Turner is a good player, and he especially is strong defensively which will suit in the AFL. High tackle count, good pressure, strong body. No huge weapons but will add to rotation depth and strength at the contest.

My issue with both of these lads (more so Keays) is their inability to hit a target and have a possession to advantage. Keays last year averaged 6 turnovers per game at 65% KE and this year he's improved on that with 5.3 turnovers at 69% and whilst I do like Lairdy he loves kicking to a 2 on 1 and comes from the Neil Craig school of bombing it long / chucking it on the boot in the hope someone marks it. Don't get me started on their handball happy rubbish either. Can't fault either of their efforts but they are not the elite midfielder we are needing right now...

I certainly would have preferred Carmichael (as I think he's going to be a very good AFL mid) but Turner is a good player, and he especially is strong defensively which will suit in the AFL. High tackle count, good pressure, strong body. No huge weapons but will add to rotation depth and strength at the contest.

Huh? No huge weapons?

How about - High tackle count, good pressure, strong body, strong defensively... oh and he's actually a really good kick of the football.

Glenelg has got an entire metro and country zone at its disposal including players it has "farmed out" to local clubs this season that it can select whenever it wants

Even though that may upset the apple cart of those lower clubs
Also until playing AFL isn’t the pinnacle nothing will change …. The sanfl is a feeder comp whether people like it or not

I don't think the club understands how dire of a state they were in. They think they should be further ahead than they really should be, so are reverting to panic station selections. Throwing out devopment (which will actually see success later) for short term gains. And their path to those short term gains is their #1 go to: experience
Agree … we are probably one win below where we should be ….. we should be around 4 wins , competitive mostly but lacking talent , skill , class and players in that 23-28 bracket that good teams have to win more than 4 games by now

Should have put the saints away and that one hurts

Now at risk of losing to eagles with morale down etc

People losing their sh1t 3 years into a rebuild that might take 10+ Realistically

They’re going to have a hellava ride

We really bottomed out with the fall out from the camp and Burton years and have made errors since

Welcome to AFL football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well… Its all good for you isnt it mate..

you are supporting a team that is currently very well managed that seems to have been nailing most of its draft picks in recent years, has done some very astute trading and has a bloody awesome midfield grouping coupled with some great talent at either ends of the park.

Whats really weird is the obsession some in here have for continuing to support the laird, sloane, crouch, keays midfield leadership group when for three or more years now its been a proven failure for all to see.

Many of us here cant stand losing to the point where we are now embracing loses in the desperate hope it changes something at club.

Many of us here look at the utter garbage drafting decisions of the past 5-6 years in complete bewilderment.

Many of us here watch the games every week and see the same 3 to 4 proven hack midfielders get given CB after CB attendance whilst the more promising young midfield talent we have languish in the forward pocket or in the SANFL in a period we are meant to be rebuilding.

Very happy for you to come in here and provide your two cents worth but if some of what you read in here upsets you.. you are quite welcome to see yourself out and go back to your own duckn board where things are probably, and rightfully so, more friggin rosey..

Oh, and I certainly dont hate “those three”.. i hate losing.

What I hate more than losing is losing due to the club continuing to back in the same failures week after week.. continuing to make the same mistakes at the draft/trade table year after year, continuing to make the incorrect decisions on player contracts and refusing to change their ultra conservative approach to managing their youth.

Happy for Brett to be given a go.. but that doesnt mean another bewildering decision should go unquestioned.. or that further discussion of the clubs current predicament should be shut down because it potentially upsets some people..
You realise brisbane were cellar dwellers for 10+ years ?

I’m sure this guy deserves some time in the sun

Also who in here is backing M Crouch and Sloane as part of midfield ? Haven’t seen too many vocal on that

Also who in here is backing M Crouch and Sloane as part of midfield ? Haven’t seen too many vocal on that
Agreed. Ben and Laird continually being lumped with those two is unfair. What's more is that I haven't seen too many solutions proposed from the usual suspects.

Brisbane in 2016 is a good cautionary tale for those that think 'playing the kids at all costs' is the solution. We ruined some careers through that.

Lol, Murphy is first picked on Nicks' team sheet.
The Murphy Rowe McHenry triumvirate as small pressure forwards is a huge weakness that gets overlooked while people focus on midfield only ( which is also poor )

Realistically out of those 3 I’d pick McHenry and maybe Turner plays in front of the other 2 . Not sure as haven’t seen enough

Certainly more a chance than Turner taking keays spot which is a LOL

Agreed. Ben and Laird continually being lumped with those two is unfair. What's more is that I haven't seen too many solutions proposed from the usual suspects.

Brisbane in 2016 is a good cautionary tale for those that think 'playing the kids at all costs' is the solution. We ruined some careers through that.
At the moment be far better off playing Schoenberg or Jones instead of Matt crouch - they could go into midfield but also rest at half forward and half back respectively

When Shoenberg plays poorly though people want him dropped

I think people forget there’s not much waiting in the wings

Unfort Pedlar is monumentally unfit and this is the longest season he’s had in a few years , another pre season and he should be a good option

Only started playing footy at 14, so basically he's only 19 in footy terms 👍

Favourite places to visit are Gold Coast and Dublin. Hard to find two more different places.
could think of more inspiring places than Dublin....SA, unless you like crabbing

outside.jpg

The Murphy Rowe McHenry triumvirate as small pressure forwards is a huge weakness that gets overlooked while people focus on midfield only ( which is also poor )

Realistically out of those 3 I’d pick McHenry and maybe Turner plays in front of the other 2 . Not sure as haven’t seen enough

Certainly more a chance than Turner taking keays spot which is a LOL
They are all not good enough, why would you pick McHenry? We should have kept Riley Knight and used our first rounder on a decent player

I mean to be fair, we've just picked up an injured 25 year old SANFL midfielders in a Mid season draft during a season in which we pick Crouch to take midfield minutes away from developing midfielders.

I mean it is an utterly bizzare selection.
Not the players fault FFS. It’s a WELCOME thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back