Up the Coasters Brilliant. Just ******* Brilliant (Positives and Negatives vs Narrm)

Remove this Banner Ad

This ******* tag making it impossible to find the god damn autopsy.
Why wait to be insufferable i can start right now.
Pretty much any club fanbase is insufferable when they are at the top. Its just how it goes.

Which makes the ability for freo to be such a consistent level of insufferable all the more impressive. Hats off to lil bro.

Pretty much any club fanbase is insufferable when they are at the top. Its just how it goes.

Which makes the ability for freo to be such a consistent level of insufferable all the more impressive. Hats off to lil bro.

I guess "at the top" is all relative in their case.

Slowly made my way through the replay today, don't really have anything new to add in regards to the Eagles.

However, I would like to point out how much of a massive chucker Clayton Oliver is. Blatantly throws and rarely gets called for it. Had one free against for it last night and had about another 5 that were obvious and another few that were dubious. Gets away with it way too much.

Final thoughts as a general observation, a lot of our best transition work we had players out in space because we worked hard but Melbourne were very asleep.

No discredit to our work rate but whether it was Darling's volley, Cripps set shot after the siren, Ginbey's goal, Duggan's receives or Jack Williams following up a ground ball, at each stage they ran past Demons players who just didn't follow. Sometimes it was more than one player, paid no respects and our guys dominated them.

That used to be us.

It was one of those games where it looked like we were running on air while the other team was running in quicksand.

At times it was 2018-esque with these long searching leads and transitioning the ball with good long kicks. We had a lot of marks, the players were leading very hard and they were being rewarded.

Overall a good balanced team effort, even the lesser types like Jones had a good 2nd half at least (9 of 11 touches and 6 out of 7 marks in the 2nd half) and he and Hunt lead the team for sprints and distances at high speed. Decent selection by match committee to replace Petch with a like for like replacement and not shoehorn Culley into some random position. Jones' form didn't warrant selection but the balance of the team was more important than picking the best players.

Watching back and you can see how badly you need pace sometimes, some of the things Hunt was doing pressure wise only he, Yeo, Ryan or Petch could probably do in the team in regards to closing down players from a 10m disadvantage.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I'm loving what McGovern is doing with the kick in duties the last few weeks.

He has shown himself to be a genuinely elite ball user - not something I've really associated him with in the past - and he delivered several perfectly weighted passes through the middle of the ground on the weekend.

Given the risks he sometimes takes it's not always going to come off, but thought his ball use was near perfect against the Dees. Along with the 6 intercept marks he took he was unreal.

Negatives

Rotham started brilliantly on Melbourne forward on Bailey Fritsch, then dropped that mark
and lost his confidence like that and looked shit after that

Luke Edwards wow just wow 6 shit possessions, bowled over twice cant lay a tackle, and is just slow.

As soon as Clay Hall can replace him the better

Can we sustain this level? We're going to be inconsistent aren't we?
If we sustained that level we’d win the flag, so yes I’d expect a bit more turbulence this season before we settle in.

Final thoughts as a general observation, a lot of our best transition work we had players out in space because we worked hard but Melbourne were very asleep.

No discredit to our work rate but whether it was Darling's volley, Cripps set shot after the siren, Ginbey's goal, Duggan's receives or Jack Williams following up a ground ball, at each stage they ran past Demons players who just didn't follow. Sometimes it was more than one player, paid no respects and our guys dominated them.

That used to be us.

It was one of those games where it looked like we were running on air while the other team was running in quicksand.

At times it was 2018-esque with these long searching leads and transitioning the ball with good long kicks. We had a lot of marks, the players were leading very hard and they were being rewarded.
Yep, agree with this. Melbourne for whatever reason didnt put the work in for large patches of the game and got burned for it.

Conversely, the Pies the week before we all over us in terms of workrate and we got thumped. Once coaches realise that we're no longer a percentage booster game they'll start reminding their players of the effort required at AFL level, and games like last week will start drying up.

Im liking the style of game we're trying to develop and think it will eventually lead to success, but we can also see that we arent anywhere yet skilled enough to "play the way we want" when coming up against more switched-on sides. That I think is where our focus has to be over the next year or two.

We're a long way from finishing the rebuild, of course we will have lots of inconsistent performances along the way. There will be more big losses this season. The next one could be this weekend.

It doesn't mean we cannot celebrate these kinds of wins, though.

ive been a major critic of Sheed this year.
Wince, every time hes named in the team...

But today he was fantastic I thought. Did a great defensive job on Oliver, and showed his experience in congestion. Took his time with his kicks as well instead of just round-the-corner-throw-on-the-boot trash.

Great game from him.
I agree, and next week there should be a few midfielders like-for-like pace-wise to choose from for him to nullify. Could be a new role to get him reinvigorated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it 100 times - a dig deep cancer fund raising game with the yellow wings
I floated this idea to the club a few years ago, I mocked up a jumper for it and everything. They said it had been passed onto the marketing department but unfortunately I never heard anything more than that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I'm loving what McGovern is doing with the kick in duties the last few weeks.

He has shown himself to be a genuinely elite ball user - not something I've really associated him with in the past - and he delivered several perfectly weighted passes through the middle of the ground on the weekend.

Given the risks he sometimes takes it's not always going to come off, but thought his ball use was near perfect against the Dees. Along with the 6 intercept marks he took he was unreal.
Gov was always an amazing kick (probably an 9/10 kicking ability at best) but we've had even better top tier elite kickers such as Jetta and Hurn (Who are both 10/10 kicking ability) and Gov is just below them in terms of kicking. Gov sometimes tries to go for those risky 10/10 difficulty kicks that only Jetta and Hurn are capable of but bites off more than he can chew thus leading to turnovers in dangerous areas of the ground.

Hopefully the club can find a Jetta and Hurn 10/10 type kick so maybe Maric down back? Or draft someone who is capable of such thing (is there another Hurn, Jetta or Gulden type kicker in the draft?). However Witherden has done an amazing job with his kicking too recently if given the licence.

It was when we delisted Jetta that our backline ball movement became stagnant especially that Gov was constantly injured during that time. Now he's been given the licence to back himself and given the go ahead to be creative like what Jetta once did and we have players who now to super long leads that Gov's kicking abilities allow him to place the ball there. Not only that but Witherden has also started to turn around and if he keeps this up then we'll be fine with our backline ball movement.

i dont know if i love it or hate it - but with 9 secs to go, Gov tackled a guy about 6 inches under the turf.... great to see but gee, hate to get injured doing it!

Gov was always an amazing kick (probably an 9/10 kicking ability at best) but we've had even better top tier elite kickers such as Jetta and Hurn (Who are both 10/10 kicking ability) and Gov is just below them in terms of kicking. Gov sometimes tries to go for those risky 10/10 difficulty kicks that only Jetta and Hurn are capable of but bites off more than he can chew thus leading to turnovers in dangerous areas of the ground.

Hopefully the club can find a Jetta and Hurn 10/10 type kick so maybe Maric down back? Or draft someone who is capable of such thing (is there another Hurn, Jetta or Gulden type kicker in the draft?). However Witherden has done an amazing job with his kicking too recently if given the licence.

It was when we delisted Jetta that our backline ball movement became stagnant especially that Gov was constantly injured during that time. Now he's been given the licence to back himself and given the go ahead to be creative like what Jetta once did and we have players who now to super long leads that Gov's kicking abilities allow him to place the ball there. Not only that but Witherden has also started to turn around and if he keeps this up then we'll be fine with our backline ball movement.
Yes. Harley’s ex-teammate Tobie Travaglia and he should be an absolute priority this year. I’ve previously compared him to Jetta on the main draft thread but FYI he’s far better over head than Jetta, has shown he can kick goals and reads the play exceptionally well.

Had to to a real quick skim read but didn’t don’t recall seeing Tom Barrass getting a lot of positive mentions.

Between he and Gov they marshalled defence beautifully and killed everything within their reach.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

That used to be us.

Overall a good balanced team effort, even the lesser types like Jones had a good 2nd half at least (9 of 11 touches and 6 out of 7 marks in the 2nd half) and he and Hunt lead the team for sprints and distances at high speed. Decent selection by match committee to replace Petch with a like for like replacement and not shoehorn Culley into some random position. Jones' form didn't warrant selection but the balance of the team was more important than picking the best players.

Watching back and you can see how badly you need pace sometimes, some of the things Hunt was doing pressure wise only he, Yeo, Ryan or Petch could probably do in the team in regards to closing down players from a 10m disadvantage.

Yep speed is so essential now, if you don't have it, you're done.
JJ was great in the last quarter - I was listening to the game via the ABC, and his name was popping up all over the place.

Had to to a real quick skim read but didn’t don’t recall seeing Tom Barrass getting a lot of positive mentions.

Between he and Gov they marshalled defence beautifully and killed everything within their reach.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was surprised he didn't get votes. Was close to our best but we had so many good players.

Gov got votes I guess for his offensive kicking but Barrass killed more contests. Good team game from basically everyone.

Negatives

Rotham started brilliantly on Melbourne forward on Bailey Fritsch, then dropped that mark
and lost his confidence like that and looked s**t after that

Luke Edwards wow just wow 6 s**t possessions, bowled over twice cant lay a tackle, and is just slow.

As soon as Clay Hall can replace him the better
Yes I dare say if Culley and Hewitt were fit he would be out, he is slow and reactive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back