Strategy Bring back the drop kick

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we did.
Then he left, suspended by the AFL for 12 months....

:D

I seriously would like to see it back. It was an accurate kick that went 15 m further than a torp for a top practitioner. Get a hold of the 1967 grand final replay and watch the two full backs - Swift and West (who were good but not great drop kicks) regularly reach the centre circle with their kick ins. The record length was Paul Vinar with 108 yards (about 100 m) as I recall.
Consider what kicks of this magnitude would do to zoning.
With the added skill of today's players with their full time practice, they should be able to find quite a few who could reliably execute this admittedly more difficult kicking skill. The game would be better for it, and the team that dared to give it a try could well get a tactical advantage until the others caught up.
Just having the reliable ones licensed to do it would upset many of the defensive patterns that are so hard to break down, as an extra 15m of field had to be covered. We might even see players hold their forward positions a bit in anticipation of a very long kick.

Tony ongarello

Place kick.

Come on, what could Cloke have done with that.

(Ps get Cameron Smith to teach it too)

I seriously would like to see it back. It was an accurate kick that went 15 m further than a torp for a top practitioner. Get a hold of the 1967 grand final replay and watch the two full backs - Swift and West (who were good but not great drop kicks) regularly reach the centre circle with their kick ins. The record length was Paul Vinar with 108 yards (about 100 m) as I recall.
Consider what kicks of this magnitude would do to zoning.
With the added skill of today's players with their full time practice, they should be able to find quite a few who could reliably execute this admittedly more difficult kicking skill. The game would be better for it, and the team that dared to give it a try could well get a tactical advantage until the others caught up.
Just having the reliable ones licensed to do it would upset many of the defensive patterns that are so hard to break down, as an extra 15m of field had to be covered. We might even see players hold their forward positions a bit in anticipation of a very long kick.
Thanks for taking this seriously...i agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to the most overrated kick ever.

I watched the highlights of the 73 Prelim. Jeff Clifton and Doug Gott consistently drop kicked the ball out of defense and with great effect. Clifton in particular seemed to be able to consistently kick the ball long off just one step. I agree that the potential for a drop kick to break zone lines is huge...BUT when they don't come off they're worse than terrible. It's worth considering though - it's like a drag flick in hockey - if you can find someone who can consistently perform the skill under pressure you have a potential match winner

How many here grew up occasionally trying the "round the corner drop kick"?

Man i loved it when i nailed a drop kick, that sweet spot action.

Mine was an idiotic technique as a youngster - would bounce the ball hard and try and launch it off the half-volley.

Occasionally this unintentionally produced a drop kick with torp spiral.
That's your problem, don't bounce the ball hard, be one with the ball & use the force to judge when the leg comes through to connect at the optimum moment.:drunk::drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back