Brisbane Lions Club Champion Dinner

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just surprised some nutter hasn't suggested we gave Patfull the B&F to boost his trade value.

So why did Patfull have a good season? It's seems to be a common perception that Patfull is a third tall and that he is too undersized to be number two. Perhaps (probably not) tonight's result will lead people to focus on output, rather than height. He has been number 2 all year and obviously thrived. The problem is though, next year Merrett and Maguire will relegate him to 3rd in line and he's too dour to excel in that position. With less defending required you need to contribute more in attack. Lester does this better than Patfull. But you couldn't drop Merrett or Maguire, who also did well in the B&F, so it feels like an inevitable s**t sandwich.

Without taking anything away from Patfull I'm a bit disappointed Redden didn't win it. It's hard to compare key defenders with midfielders, but I twas fairly confident Redden would win it. He is more of a favourite player so maybe my judgement was tainted.

Average scores:

Rich - 1.60
Zorko - 1.56
Patfull - 1.55
Brown - 1.40
Hanley - 1.30
Redden - 1.27
Black - 1.22
Maguire - 1.22
Rockliff - 1.20
Adcock - 1.19
Leuenberger - 1.17
Merrett - 1.14
Golby - 1.08
Beams - 1.06
Raines - 1.03
Hudson - 1.00
McGrath - 1.00
Buchanan - 1.00
Green - 0.79
Bewick - 0.75
Drummond - 0.67
Lester - 0.58
Yeo - 0.56
Cornelius - 0.56
McKeever - 0.56
Polkinghorne - 0.43
Polec - 0.42
Banfield - 0.42
Harwood - 0.41
Stiller - 0.33
Karnezis - 0.29
Hawksley - 0.25
Crisp - 0.20
Lisle - 0.20
Longer - 0.20
O'Brien - 0.00
Sheldon - 0.00
Wrigley - 0.00

Robert Walls was instrumental in turning the bears into a serious football club. I had th opportunity to tell him that and thank him on a plane trip from Ireland to London after an international rules match. It is on my top 10 footy related moments.

Robert Walls's speech was fantastic. He clearly has a lot of love for the club and a lot of fond memories of his time with Fitzroy and the Bears.

Have defended him many times on this board, perhaps now some may listen. Helps that people may now have a little insight into the man, very difficult to judge a person based purely on the special comments on a broadcast.

Congrates to Joel Patfull really well deserved after a consistent year. Great achievements for Daniel and Pearce to place, hope those that attended had a great night.

I'm just surprised some nutter hasn't suggested we gave Patfull the B&F to boost his trade value.

So why did Patfull have a good season? It's seems to be a common perception that Patfull is a third tall and that he is too undersized to be number two. Perhaps (probably not) tonight's result will lead people to focus on output, rather than height. He has been number 2 all year and obviously thrived. The problem is though, next year Merrett and Maguire will relegate him to 3rd in line and he's too dour to excel in that position. With less defending required you need to contribute more in attack. Lester does this better than Patfull. But you couldn't drop Merrett or Maguire, who also did well in the B&F, so it feels like an inevitable s**t sandwich.

Without taking anything away from Patfull I'm a bit disappointed Redden didn't win it. It's hard to compare key defenders with midfielders, but I twas fairly confident Redden would win it. He is more of a favourite player so maybe my judgement was tainted.

But Patfull can play on the smaller man quite well, I can't see it being a s**t sandwich more of a greater opportunity for our back 6 to become a wall again. Goose and Rog on the 1 and 2 and Patfull to the the third most offensive player the opposition has whether they be tall or short. Well done to Joel on winning and I now hope he gets the recognition we all know he deserves.

Have defended him many times on this board, perhaps now some may listen. Helps that people may now have a little insight into the man, very difficult to judge a person based purely on the special comments on a broadcast.

Congrates to Joel Patfull really well deserved after a consistent year. Great achievements for Daniel and Pearce to place, hope those that attended had a great night.

You're always hurt by the one you love most...

I'm surprised Redden didn't take out your B&F. He had a monster middle to late part of the year. Obviously he lost votes for his attire tonight, disappointing that your coaching panel would stoop to such a low act :p

5QXE5.jpg

3 of the 4 R's looking rather Dapper thurr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is Patfull was pretty consistent all year and didn't poll in only 1 game up to round 12, where as Redden's very slow start meant he didn't in 5 matches of the same period, they both did not poll in 3 matches after Round 12. I'd say Reddens bad games were worse than Patfull but his better games were, well, better.

Some other things;
Drummo was the highest poller in the Weagles Rd 10 game with 3, Adcock & Redden with 2.5 each. The team only polled 30 in total which I found weird.
The coaches considered Rockliff's Rd 1 game against the Demons (polling 4) better than his Rd 13 one against the Doggies (polling 3.5)
Hanley was the only player to have two 4 point games in the year (Doggies Rd 13 & Demons at home in Rd 14)
I guess it shows where our midfield is at, our defence polled consistently well along with our forward line, but our midfield polling fluctuated quite wildly from very, very poor to very good.
Lastly, big Niall got 1 point for the Weagles Rd 10 game, which coincidentally, is what a rushed behind is worth ;)

Big Congrats to Patfull anyway, he has been a rock down back all year.

5 years down the track .... "So Mr Patful ... where did you meet your wife?" ... well it was the night I won my first Lion's B&F in 2012 ... she couldn't restrain her happiness for me and I suddenly realised my mistake ... you see it was the next day that the restraining order was due to take effect and I would have lost my chance ... can't thank the lousy court processing system enough! :)

Anyway - grats to all the very worthy winners - great job!

Average scores:

Rich - 1.60
Zorko - 1.56
Patfull - 1.55
Brown - 1.40
Hanley - 1.30
Redden - 1.27
Black - 1.22
Maguire - 1.22
Rockliff - 1.20
Adcock - 1.19
Leuenberger - 1.17
Merrett - 1.14
Golby - 1.08
Beams - 1.06
Raines - 1.03
Hudson - 1.00
McGrath - 1.00
Buchanan - 1.00
Green - 0.79
Bewick - 0.75
Drummond - 0.67
Lester - 0.58
Yeo - 0.56
Cornelius - 0.56
McKeever - 0.56
Polkinghorne - 0.43
Polec - 0.42
Banfield - 0.42
Harwood - 0.41
Stiller - 0.33
Karnezis - 0.29
Hawksley - 0.25
Crisp - 0.20
Lisle - 0.20
Longer - 0.20
O'Brien - 0.00
Sheldon - 0.00
Wrigley - 0.00

Thanks for that these are really interesting. They give some reflection on how the coaches rate/rank the playing list (although of course they are not the whole story be any means).

It is kind of surprising that the coaches kept Crisp in the team for so many games - 10 - if they didn't rate him very highly. (Personally I thought he was fairly lucky to get as many games as he did).

Most people would agree with Polks being were he is - basically not a good result at all for a player who played 20 games.

Some of the votes per game seem a bit harsh - Lisle and Longer are two, Harwood especially. At the other end of the table I am also suprised Redden, Black and Hudson didn't poll more votes.

Hehe, sorry that was said a bit tongue in cheek. Just thought the penalty at the time was pretty harsh.

Regardless, was great to see Joel get up. Been very under-rated and always plugging away at his role. Great to see a defender get a major award at the club too :)

Really was an amazing night. First b&f I've been too, but I think it's safe to say I won't be missing many from now on. Would've been better to have some others I know instead of just Dad and I, but we had fun lecturing the women next to him about how Buchanan has been an important player for us (everytime one of the players thanked him, they would whisper 'another one! but he's done nothing!').

Definitely recommend going along in future to anyone who's thought about it. Even if it means quitting your job (Jorgo), it's not a night to be missed.

And I'm incredibly happy for Joel that now he's got his place in history. He really deserves it.

I kinda feel bad. Joel thanked me for supporting him. I never thanked him for being my role model and my inspiration.

Then again, how do you thank someone for something like that without coming across as a moron?

Dont worry kezz....he reads all of your posts.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back