Preview Brisbane Lions v Essendon Bombers, Round 5, Saturday April 17, 7:25 PM, GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you that think McStay brings it to ground have a look at the second quarters of last years finals and see how many times he pullls out of contests. On display in two final games: McStay does not impact contests.

several of these annoyed the hellout of me when he could have made a physical statement but stopped at thr last instant and watched the contest.

if he gets a game he should be told to just “ go for it “ .

Those of you that think McStay brings it to ground have a look at the second quarters of last years finals and see how many times he pullls out of contests. On display in two final games: McStay does not impact contests.

several of these annoyed the hellout of me when he could have made a physical statement but stopped at thr last instant and watched the contest.

if he gets a game he should be told to just “ go for it “ .
I've never got this he makes a contest story ,I rarely saw that. Avoided the contest regularly.

But I do believe free running higher up the ground and one on one against smaller players he could be quite valuable.

If he 'goes for it' as his body and athleticism suggests he should.

I've done my Squiggle ladder predictor BRAB , it all works out in the end ;)

It turns out we're first after the bye. We go on a massive winning streak.

I think it’ll be more interesting the see what the teams still playing with a similar style to us do to actually combat it.

This is actually true. If all teams are looking shaky by the bye it probably shows it was a rule change thing.

Scores are already dropping a bit from week 1.
Defenses are going to get better and slow those teams down. There is always a period of adjustment.
it was noted in the commentary during our game that teams are already starting to kick long down the line more again because the defence of teams is slowing down the ball movement.

I also noticed the game slowing down a bit but wasn't sure if I was reading too much into it early.

Delighted we are back to our regularly scheduled McStay argument here.
It's not an argument . So some of us just pipe up every now and then after the vast majority wax lyrical about his importance ,whatever every time he comes up.

But the way the game is now he could be very valuable if he can play the way he has on occasions during games when he's in clear space around the wings. That's what we need right now . His A game . And some clean penetrating kicks into the forward 30m. Not expecting miracles ,he's been out a while so might take a couple of games to settle in.

McStay brings good vibes. We need him back!

I reckon Sharp is a chance for selection too. Might be given a role on someone like Cox.

In Ballenden to replace Harris Andrews......He looks like he's not enjoying the game and in a couple of contests he looked scared...Not him at all. I hope he's doing OK.

After a couple of weeks of rest Harris should come back in to play at full forward.

In Ballenden to replace Harris Andrews......He looks like he's not enjoying the game and in a couple of contests he looked scared...Not him at all. I hope he's doing OK.

After a couple of weeks of rest Harris should come back in to play at full forward.

I've seen some ridiculous posts, but this takes the cake.

I've done my Squiggle ladder predictor BRAB , it all works out in the end ;)
firefox_2021-04-12_14-45-36.png
Says a lot about society or something.

I've apparently got over that four year block in which I did not tip Carlton to win a single game, but not by much. Still feel deeply uncomfortable about doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with Mitch Robinson is he goes to ground almost every time he's in a contest. He throws his body in and we all love him for that. He applies pressure and presence but he still goes to ground and more often than not his opponent doesn't and when they win the ball they either dish it off or run off and poor Mitch is left sprawled on the ground. Even marking contests he often goes to ground.

I would be looking to play Zorko forward of centre and when we win the ball across the back line he should be the outlet. We need quicker ball movement and pace through the middle. Bailey often tries to do this but gets caught with the ball too often.

We should play a lot better on our home deck and despite losing to Swans in round 1 we have a really good record at the Gabba in last few years.

The issue with Mitch Robinson is he goes to ground almost every time he's in a contest. He throws his body in and we all love him for that. He applies pressure and presence but he still goes to ground and more often than not his opponent doesn't and when they win the ball they either dish it off or run off and poor Mitch is left sprawled on the ground. Even marking contests he often goes to ground.

I would be looking to play Zorko forward of centre and when we win the ball across the back line he should be the outlet. We need quicker ball movement and pace through the middle. Bailey often tries to do this but gets caught with the ball too often.

We should play a lot better on our home deck and despite losing to Swans in round 1 we have a really good record at the Gabba in last few years.

So who are we bringing into our midfield who can do a better job than Robbo and Zorko is at the moment?

So who are we bringing into our midfield who can do a better job than Robbo and Zorko is at the moment?

I think the bolded part is important. Clearly they are our best in their current roles on our list, but at some point we need to invest in our youth to take over as both don't have long left.

Ideally I'd say we try and give Bailey as much time as possible in the 'Zorko role' and guys like Smith and Tom Berry in Robbos role.

I think the bolded part is important. Clearly they are our best in their current roles on our list, but at some point we need to invest in our youth to take over as both don't have long left.

Ideally I'd say we try and give Bailey as much time as possible in the 'Zorko role' and guys like Smith and Tom Berry in Robbos role.

So tank?

Lol way to be overdramatic.

If we're deliberately not playing our best side then we might as well go all out.

Our we can continue to try and win each week. Hopefully finish 5th to 6th and try and win a couple of finals. Leaving Bailey to gradually learn the midfield role and ESmith to earn his place in the team.

If we're deliberately not playing our best side then we might as well go all out.

Our we can continue to try and win each week. Hopefully finish 5th to 6th and try and win a couple of finals. Leaving Bailey to gradually learn the midfield role and ESmith to earn his place in the team.

I literally never said we should leave Zorko and Robbo out. The fact of the matter is though, we need to give the likes of Bailey as much time as possible to develop in the Zorko role so when Zorko retires he can take over. That doesn't mean entire games worth mate, but a reasonable amount of time. Ditto for someone like Tom Berry in Robbos role and Ely if he can get a spot in the team.

I literally never said we should leave Zorko and Robbo out. The fact of the matter is though, we need to give the likes of Bailey as much time as possible to develop in the Zorko role so when Zorko retires he can take over. That doesn't mean entire games worth mate, but a reasonable amount of time. Ditto for someone like Tom Berry in Robbos role and Ely if he can get a spot in the team.

But you admitted they wouldn't do as good a job at the moment so it would be making the team worse.

Playing kids have already hurt us this year. Probably cost us the Geelong game (Tuohy vs Sharp) being one of the most one sided matchups of all time.

How about we focus on making the finals and giving guys like Bailey finals experience. In the meantime if he plays well enough in the middle he'll be rewarded with more time there.

And then there is this!

You are one of the people who has been critical of Robbo being in the side? Have you changed your opinion? No one has said take Zorko out just make minor adjustments like all teams do.

Ely Smith needs to get a game sometime soon provided his form is good in reserves. This is his 3rd year and we haven't seen if he up to it. I would hope he is seeing as we used a first round pick on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back