Preview Round 9, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon Bombers, Saturday 13th May, 7:25. Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could fill a book with what now would regarded as inappropriate things coaches have said to players. Before you started on the abusive things.

In this era we've gone too far the other way. I'm too scared to say anything other than the banal to my kids in case I upset their worries about the climate , the transgenders and the millions of other people they've never met or actually even know of who would be offended.

Historically public mores can change dramatically through the eras. We haven't had a war in a while , things like that usually reset what worries people.

Hopefully this eras repositioning make the world easier to navigate for those affected.

But back to footy if the players now who are around 5-10 years younger than my kids have a similar mindset they're well aware of what their 'rights' are and we now have different and more appropriate motivational tools . A man who came up in the old school like Fagan was quick to adapt to what worked now.
Topical... my grandson turned 18 during the week and there is a party tonight for him in a room at a local pub, lots of family and his friends will be there. I am doing the speech(it is my thing at weddings/funerals/birthdays), I always go heavy on the humour/sarcasm/sledging.

Anyway I decided to run through my speech with my daughter in law and she picked up on one of my attempted humour bits as being inappropriate for the many teenagers that will be there.

I still remember the booing and abused that the OG Libba copped at the Gabba after tried to claw out Craig McRae's eyes.

Think he'd done the same the year before to another Lions players and don't seem to recall anyone claiming the booing was because of a deep-seated racism towards Italians
Libba and that other grub Romero

Jarrod Berry is a saint. No idea how he didn’t lose his s**t in an interview with Dermott

Dermott’s on AFL360 tonight with Kath Loughnan.

he’s interviewing Jarrod Berry, and asking about the time when his mother passed away…

”at that time when your mother unfortunately expired…”

Expired….EXPIRED

Jim Carrey Omg GIF
It's a common term in Asia actually. My Indian co-worker in the MiddleEast always used that terminology.

Definitely can happen. Football is unpredictable. I would just hope the melts don’t get too bad on here if it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
TBF would be reasonably melt-worthy wouldn't it? I mean always depends how. But we are basically full-strength at the gabba, off a good break, playing a depleted Essendon traveling 2 weeks in a row in the midst of a horror patch in the draw. We are up and about and need to bank wins like this.

If the suns come out playing awesome footy and knocked us off - i wouldn't be happy but understandable.

Ditto crows the week after.

But this is an absolute must-win given the circumstances.

TBF would be reasonably melt-worthy wouldn't it? I mean always depends how. But we are basically full-strength at the gabba, off a good break, playing a depleted Essendon traveling 2 weeks in a row in the midst of a horror patch in the draw. We are up and about and need to bank wins like this.

If the suns come out playing awesome footy and knocked us off - i wouldn't be happy but understandable.

Essendons worst loss has been by 28 points having played 5 of the 6 top teams

Don't underestimate them

Essendons worst loss has been by 28 points having played 5 of the 6 top teams

Don't underestimate them
They've been good. I certainly hope the club is not underestimating them.

But they are at their weakest this weekend, 3 big outs including the best match-up for Cameron.

I am not setting the bench-mark as a monster win. I would like to be able to really restrict their scoring and gain some percentage, but if we manage a win by 3-4 goals so be it.

I do think a loss would be a terrible result all things considered.

There would have to be something seriously wrong with this team if they were to lose to an Essendon missing something like 12 players at the Gabba on a Saturday night. Just can't see it.

Well sure but we could also win games we don’t expect to win. We started 2-2 and the two wins and losses were the exact opposite of what everyone would’ve expected. I like to think if we lose this game somehow that it’ll be okay because we could pull off an upset against Melbourne or Collingwood away.

It sucked to lose against Essendon at the Gabba last year much like Richmond at the MCG. I like to think our two finals wins, especially the Melbourne one, were nice examples of us getting an upset back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am worried about being too confident too, just can't imagine Essendon winning on Saturday night if we bring our best game. Everything seems to have conspired against them 3 super important injuries from last week's squad, their backline was already depleted. They have a 2nd consecutive trip away and a 6 day back-up to boot!

We Lions on the other hand have a nearly full squad to pick from, an 8 days break and are seemingly working into some very good form, should Essendon somehow win it would be their best win for years. We Lions would rightly be feeling feral and be forced to take it out on those annoying Bomber uncles :)

Much more worried about the Suns next week who are showing some fight, but even they will be returning from a trip to Perth.

Hopefully we all have an enjoyable Saturday night.

If we are going to push forward as a team and be a legitimate contender, we have to learn to handle these kinds of games where there is all the opportunity in the world to relax and assume we will win. This is the kind of game where the boys should be sharpening their teeth and really going for a kill. Last time we thought it might be a bit easy we got stomped by Port.

Well sure but we could also win games we don’t expect to win. We started 2-2 and the two wins and losses were the exact opposite of what everyone would’ve expected. I like to think if we lose this game somehow that it’ll be okay because we could pull off an upset against Melbourne or Collingwood away.

It sucked to lose against Essendon at the Gabba last year much like Richmond at the MCG. I like to think our two finals wins, especially the Melbourne one, were nice examples of us getting an upset back.

Port were in bad form in the pre season but clearly a decent side with few injuries and playing away.

Dogs were smashed all week in the media, loomed as a huge danger game, again away from home.

Our Dons loss last year was poor but understandable, we had i think 10 players out for injury and covid? I remember hearing about the outs and checking the odds, Essendon were $3.50 or something wild. I loaded up with a heavy heart. I like an emotional hedge bet! I did the same for the dogs match this year. They were $2.70 or so. I was tempted by Port but my wife told me not to be too pessimistic!

I am totally prepared for losses where we are favourites / should win. Agree you can make them back later in the season.

I think this game given all the circumstances is not so much a 'should win' but 'how on earth did we lose that' if we did.

Anyway just my view. As you say bombers have been good. I just think we get them at their weakest.

I remember hearing about the outs and checking the odds, Essendon were $3.50 or something wild. I loaded up with a heavy heart. I like an emotional hedge bet! I did the same for the dogs match this year. They were $2.70 or so. I was tempted by Port but my wife told me not to be too pessimistic!
No shame: I do this every single game.

My biggest regret is not doubling down on the Tigers at half time at the MCG last year. Would have paid for my entire trip down. Lesson learnt.

I wonder if Hippy sticks with Am I ever gonna see your face.
He got away with it last time, mostly.
Saturday arvo bit different to a Saturday night game though.
Im with Aker in relation to the songs the players have chosen - alot of very average songs but thats probably my age - intersting the kids dont care for a lot either. Cant say I'm a country fan, but we love Charlie's Country Roads.

Would it have been a case that the club would have given them a list to choose from like at Karoke hence the restrictions?

I mean would the club let say a Bundy if they were doing it then let him play say a Slayer song?

If we lose I'll begrudgingly contribute to the post game melt as an act of contrition for getting too cocky.
I don't think we've got anything to worry about at the Gabba. But they've got nothing to lose and maybe not expecting a lot so I think it'll be a contest for a while.

Of course we all know that if your pressure's not there in the AFL anyone can beat you. We do know that by now.

No shame: I do this every single game.

My biggest regret is not doubling down on the Tigers at half time at the MCG last year. Would have paid for my entire trip down. Lesson learnt.
Ha glad it’s not just me! I got on the Tigers in that game at what about $8 half time? Still an awful feeling when we lost. That Mitch miss. The Linc disallowed goal. Ah memories…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back