Preview Finals Week 1 • Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide • Saturday 9 September 2023 • 7:25 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1693802483315.png

The big one is finally here !!!!
2 vs 3 !!
Quali at the Gabba !!
Saturday night lights !!

Both teams hold a significant advantage if they get to play prelim in their home turf so there'll be some heat when this one unfolds.

H2H:
Overall H2H looks pretty even but the stats change as expected when you flip it to Gabbatoir. Simply put, it'll take a mighty effort to take the win of Lions at Gabba, that too on a 11-0 home and away record in 2023 which has never happened before.

1693807996903.png

1693808031425.png

Midfield:
Round 1 when we got smacked we had Dunkley and Ashcroft still working out where they fit and we were largely on the round 1 mulligan mode. Fast forward to Round 24, there is a clear top 3 in the middle with Neale/Dunkley roving the Big O taps. McCluggage has stepped up his numbers to take on Ashcroft's role and between Bailey/Zorko/Deven/Rayner we have our fringe acts.

Port's spread appears a bit more even across Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis, Wines, Drew and Finlayson. Their ruck cover seems a bit patchy over the last few weeks but Lycett has played SANFL and expected to take his spot back in first 22. Between Houston and Drew they have 2 players to shutdown Neale so the rest of Brisbane midfield needs to step up and pick up the slack.

Big O will have a big say on how our fortunes fare in the middle. I'm comfortable with Daniher against Finlayson, both will try their unconventional methods to compete/not-compete in a ruck contest and try to mop up in the follow through.

1693806141363.png
1693806365447.png

Likely 22s:

AFL website has forecasted as many as 3 or 4 changes for Port with Dixon, Lycett, McKenzie and Marshall. Ours is a straightforward McCarthy in for Lyons. I personally don't like the idea of swapping that many tall timber just prior to qualifying final but if Port goes for it and we get an advantage out of it, by all means. Change every single one of them :D

1693807392406.png

1693807431994.png

Way to win:
Multiple teams have tried it and even Richmond did it with Noah Balta in the last round. Aliir does not like being tagged and wrestled, we have to put some time into him and keep him engaged. It clearly goes a long way into nullifying Power's defense and whether it's Hipwood or Daniher or one of the smalls, they need to keep him engaged and not float across our forward line. I'm sure Power are thinking to do the same to Neale in the middle, he's our firestarter/barometer and him having a big game will set us up a long way in this Qualifying final.

Verdict:
Expect Power to push us hard but we've been playing the 2-3 goal margin well and keeping opposition off from running us down at Gabba.

Gabba factor, sold out home crowd, Lions primed with all healthy and available - I am hoping for a statement win with our forward line landing a 4 quarter blow. I'd love a bit of payback for that Round 1 game as well so Lions by 5+ goals.

Lllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssss!
savage-lion-tongue-licking-ik1olevrx1ifx3gz.gif

Although I would have welcomed an underdone Dixon, it will hopefully force them to play someone that isn’t quite up to negating Andrews like the StKilda marvel game with Caminiti.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they aren't Melbourne but will there be guards on the surrounding transformers during the fourth quarter?

It’d be cannibalism for port to kill the power

If anyone watches 360 and The Couch, please let us know if it's worth watching or if it's the usual garbage we've grown to expect.

Isn’t papa fages meant to be on tonight. I’ve just tuned in. Will keep you updated.

Isn’t papa fages meant to be on tonight. I’ve just tuned in. Will keep you updated.

Ty! Not watching live but if worth watching I'll check out the replay. I appreciate you taking the bullet for us.

Ty! Not watching live but if worth watching I'll check out the replay. I appreciate you taking the bullet for us.

He’s not on tonight. Abort.

Fages was on the couch - worth watching for some good analysis - looking at you Bucks.

360 was cringengly comical - talk about Robbo's ego out of control. Was forcing myself to watch the whole thing, but bailed half way through.

Just checked round 1 stats and he bloody kicked 4.1
Marshall doesn't look much but he's one of those guys who seems to bob up against us and kick straight whereas whenever else I watch him he shanks it half the time.

No Charlie and Marshall coming in off an injury you think we would handle easily.

Don't ask me why but I've got a funny feeling about this game. It doesn't worry me overly ,the long route with an away prelim could be easier than the weight of expectation with the home prelim.

Having said that putting my personal emotions aside we should win this match comfortably enough. On paper.

Fages was on the couch - worth watching for some good analysis - looking at you Bucks.

360 was cringengly comical - talk about Robbo's ego out of control. Was forcing myself to watch the whole thing, but bailed half way through.
Wtf with these stupid charts that they put up on On The Couch.

It shows that the best teams that perform really well during the year are likely to win the flag.

Who knew.

Last edited:
Wtf with these stupid carts that they put up on On The Couch.

It shows that the best teams that perform really well during the year are likely to win the flag.

Who knew.
Did one of the carts say there will be 9 winners and 9 losers through the finals series and only 1 team can win the flag.... astounding stats analysis.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back