Preview GRAND FINAL - Collingwood Magpies vs Brisbane Lions • Saturday 30 September 2023 • 2:30 PM • Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1695618653731.png

The Prelim

Just under 4 minutes to go in a prelim, and regular finals hero Darcy Gardiner lets loose for a goal that will bring the entire Gabba to its feet. Out of nowhere, Lincoln McCarthy soars through the air to take a mark on the goal line and 30 seconds off the clock. It's not the first time in his career that he rewrites a script. He slots the goal and confirms a fact that we never thought possible for 19 long years. The Brisbane Lions are into the Grand Final.

Lincoln has given us so many gifts since he revived his career at the Lions, but this was perhaps the most special. 5 minutes to reflect on the journey that took us back to the greatest stage of football after experiencing the most bitter of lows. The atmosphere at the Gabba was that of pure Euphoria as we approached that final siren. Dom Fay described these moments beautifully on the Roar Deal Podcast this week, outlining how his mind meandered from moment to moment that brought us here. I am sure this experience rings true for many of us, and it certainly did for me. Dom outlined so many of those moments, from Vossy being sacked, to Cam Rayner missing a crucial point against North, to a heartbreaking GWS loss in 2019, to Froggy Lester reviving his career win the opportunity to show his stuff on the biggest day in football. I can think of a few more that ran through my head in those moments, and I am sure this is the same for all of you. Part of my goal in previewing the match this week will be to tell some of those key stories.

As the final siren went, and the stadium erupted, I also recognised something really special. We had oldies in the crowd hugging their mates to celebrate a grand final appearance that they might not have expected to see in their lifetime; to kids who have never known anything but a powerful Brisbane side celebrating their first Grand Final appearance. I resonated with those young fans the most, because 19 years ago, that was me. We had old Roy Boys, old bears fans and those who were captured by the three-peat alike to celebrate something undeniable- The Brisbane Lions were Back. There is something special about being a merger club I think, there is just so much shared history and love of the game that culminates in moments like the final siren going last Saturday.

I am so excited to share another one of those moments with all of you this weekend.

The Journey

I am sure every fans thinks this in the lead up to a Grand Final, but we have so many incredible stories to celebrate this week as we reflect on the journey that got us here. I know for me already this week, the nerves of a Grand Final can potentially override these stories, so please do take the moment to share your favourite stories this week to keep us focused on the moments that lead us here.

I won't be able to share them all, but here a few ones that are near and dear to my heart that typify our progress.

2017: Jarrod Berry signs a new contract

lKUFmDzU.jpg

This for me was the first tangible sign that the wheel was turning. In the aftermath of the Go Home Five and James Aish, the standard fare was that our gun draftees would run out that two year contract to much speculation, and if they did sign, it would be relatively late in their second year. Jarrod debuted against the Saints in April and by May, he had shown a level of confidence in the club that we hadn't seen for years, signing a new contract until the end of 2020.

It was such a special moment for me and bucked the trend of young players leaving. These days, it is fairly normal for us to hang onto young talent. It was an emphatic sign that we may actually be fixing our culcha.

So much of our success in the Fagan era has come off the back of buy in from young guns, and the environment that made Jarrod so eager to sign that contract is the same environment that has allowed players like Wilmot to debut in a final and Jaspa Fletcher to kick on from game one. It is about an environment where young players feel confident to express themselves and play their best footy.

Seeing Jarrod get to the last game of September is so special to me and many Lions fans. Jarrod was one of first young players in the Fagan era to express his total confidence in the club and I hope he enjoys the week. You were right Jarrod.

2017: Cam Rayner kicks a point against North Melbourne

The lions are charging forward for a rare win against top eight contenders North Melbourne. The ball lands in the hands of young superstar Cam Rayner. He is offered some words of wisdom from his more experienced team mates as he lines up for goal. Cam decides to play on, snaps the ball and kicks a point. North go on to win the game and Cam is inconsolable.

What follows is something that exemplifies Chris Fagan the coach. He walks up to Cam after the game, cool and calm as you like, and comforts the still devastated Rayner. Rayner mentioned this moment specifically in an SEN interview earlier in the month when recalling that care and empathy Fages has for all of his players.

The words that Cam still remembers to this day?

Don't worry, you will win us many more games in the future that are much more important than this one.

Fair to say, Fagan was right.

These learning moments from the past five years have culminated to the biggest game of the year. In the event that the day doesn't go our way, there is nobody on earth I'd want there more to comfort the players than Fagan.

2019: The Lions chant after a heartbreaking loss to GWS

2019 was the most enjoyable year of the rebuild for many, with our results far exceeding our expectations. Everything was just fun, from the moment we jumped the Eagles in Round 1 to our first ever final enhanced by the pre game failure of the PA system against Richmond.

It is late in the fourth quarter, and Mumford rugby passes it to Daniels as he runs away from Witherden at full speed to kick the winning goal. It was a heartbreaking night and I still remember the one GWS fan in QLD absolutely giving it to us in the members as we went down in heartbreaking fashion.

The run that year was over, but the journey was just beginning. On Saturday, we stayed back to sing the song to celebrate a prelim win, on that night, we stayed back to farewell a team that had given us everything, and had made us believe again.

As the players walked off, a massive lions chant erupted. We were all so grateful for the group of players and coaches who had brought us back to finals again, and continued to dream of a rare finals win.

I truly feel now that we knew what was to come.

2020: Hugh McCluggage kicks us into a Prelim

Our Qualifying Final win against Richmond was something special, breaking an 11 Year drought without a finals win to take us to our first prelim since 2004. Despite the fact that I was at that game, the commentary of that moments still sits there as a core memory for me as a Lions fans, which probably shows that I watched the replay of this moment hundreds of times.

I am still so happy it was Hugh. Drafting Hugh was one of the best things we ever did, and ever since he showed class well above his peers on a rainy afternoon in Ballarat against the dogs, he hasn't looked back and remains on of our classiest players. We are so lucky to have people like Hugh at the club.

This was such a special night for the club and again represented a moment of growth for the team. Ticking off new milestones every year as we approached the truly big one.

2022: Lever spins Melbourne to defeat as the Lions win a final at the MCG

This one last year was huge for us. Melbourne had spent so much time bullying us before this game, as recently as Round 23, and to go interstate and win a final at the MCG was such an important milestone for us to tick off.

Much like the Carlton Prelim, Melbourne came out of the blocks and absolutely smacked us. We showed the grit and determination to drag it back our way and come back for a famous win.

These are just a few of the moments that were running through my head as that final siren went. This moment was extended, and allowed for an in depth montage to play in my head as the siren rang for 65 seconds.

When we lay it all out like that, it really does seem like we've been building to this moment. I haven't even talked about Dayne Zorko's story as the boy from Benowa who refused to believe he wasn't AFL standard, or the countless ACL injuries our young guns have recovered from, or tragedies like Dan Rich falling off just before we get the chance to play in a Grand Final.

These are the stories that will get us through the week and the things that bind us together as fans.

The Grand Final

27431b4eebcc0dcd49d07a2a17014b19

Please forgive me, but I won't spend too much time trying to analyse the game. It feels like a genuine 50/50, slightly weighted towards a very good Collingwood team, and I don't believe I have any football knowledge that won't be outclassed by the countless articles of analysis we are due to see this week from the media and bigfooty experts alike.

I will take a moment to talk about Collingwood and what they have achieved over the last two years. If our journey has been a demonstration in the power of belief and team culture in dragging a team to new heights, then the Collingwood Football Club must surely be as strong a case for this notion.

Craig McRae has driven a team that relies equally on a relentless system as it does unwavering belief. We could be 70 points up at the start of the third quarter and this Collingwood team would still believe they could win it. They are a mix of skill and relentless effort and on grand final day, they will be charging in like there is no tomorrow. They are sure to give us our most difficult test of the year. They are truly primed to traumatise me.

Regardless of who emerges victorious on Saturday, it will be a testament to the value of belief in building a football club. I have no doubt in my mind that the loser of this match will continue to be a force for years to come, and will once again return to this day in the future.

I predict a intensely physical contest that remains even until late in the fourth quarter, where we kick away and emerge 3 goal winners. Cameron Rayner takes a Norm Smith Medal home with a 22 disposal, 4 goal game, fulfilling Chris Fagan's prediction from 2017.

Final Thoughts

I have truly enjoyed spending the last decade with all of you riding the highs and lows of this club as we've returned to the final day in September, and having this community to share the journey with like minded Lions fans has been such a privilege. I cannot wait to share this week with so many of you as we wait for the biggest game since 2004.

I am eternally thankful to everyone involved at the club for the relentless work they have done to bring us back to the top, and this weekend feels like the culmination of all of that. Part of what has made this year so nerve racking is that I want these players to win those premiership medals so badly so that the entire AFL world knows what an impact they have had. I want it to be indisputable that they have had an immeasurable impact on our club, and dragged us back into relevancy when this seemed all but impossible years ago.

When that final siren went on Saturday, I realised that all of that really didn’t matter, and that the AFL world will probably never get it like we do as fans. It’s nobodies fault, but these players that have taken us back to the big dance will always be more special to us as Lions fans. We will always understand the trials, tribulations and torment that lead to that siren going on Saturday, and that is all that matters.

It is freeing, because no matter what happens at the MCG on Saturday, these guys brought us back to the top.

That being said; let’s win the whole ******* thing.

Lions by 19 points

Grand Final Week Events

Brisbane

• Open Training @ Brighton Homes Arena: Tuesday 26th September from 9:30am
  • Grand Final Live Site: South Bank Parklands Thursday 28th September to Saturday 30th September.
  • Post Match Fan Day @ Brighton Homes Arena: Monday 2nd October 10am to 12pm

Melbourne

• Roar Deal Live Podcast @ Royal Derby Hotel: Thursday 28th September Thursday 4-6:30pm SOLD OUT
  • Captains Run @ Melbourne Cricket Ground: Friday 29th September Friday 9am
  • Grand Final Parade: Friday 29th September Friday 10:30am
  • Grand final March to MCG from Napier Hotel, Fitzroy: Saturday 30 September 12pm MOVED TO TAXI KITCHEN TO JOIN THE ROAR DEAL MARCH
  • Roar Deal Grand Final March from Taxi Kitchen to MCG: Saturday 30 September, 12pm
  • Grand Final After Party @ Palladium at Crown: Saturday 30 September, 7pm to Midnight, SOLD OUT
  • Post Match Fan Day @ Brunswick Street Oval, Fitzroy: Sunday 1st October 10am to 12pm

Last edited:
Grand Final Week Media

Last edited:

View attachment 1813287

The Prelim

Just under 4 minutes to go in a prelim, and regular finals hero Darcy Gardiner lets loose for a goal that will bring the entire Gabba to its feet. Out of nowhere, Lincoln McCarthy soars through the air to take a mark on the goal line and 30 seconds off the clock. It's not the first time in his career that he rewrites a script. He slots the goal and confirms a fact that we never thought possible for 19 long years. The Brisbane Lions are into the Grand Final.

Lincoln has given us so many gifts since he revived his career at the Lions, but this was perhaps the most special. 5 minutes to reflect on the journey that took us back to the greatest stage of football after experiencing the most bitter of lows. The atmosphere at the Gabba was that of pure Euphoria as we approached that final siren. Dom Fay described these moments beautifully on the Roar Deal Podcast this week, outlining how his mind meandered from moment to moment that brought us here. I am sure this experience rings true for many of us, and it certainly did for me. Dom outlined so many of those moments, from Vossy being sacked, to Cam Rayner missing a crucial point against North, to a heartbreaking GWS loss in 2019, to Froggy Lester reviving his career win the opportunity to show his stuff on the biggest day in football. I can think of a few more that ran through my head in those moments, and I am sure this is the same for all of you. Part of my goal in previewing the match this week will be to tell some of those key stories.

As the final siren went, and the stadium erupted, I also recognised something really special. We had oldies in the crowd hugging their mates to celebrate a grand final appearance that they might not have expected to see in their lifetime; to kids who have never known anything but a powerful Brisbane side celebrating their first Grand Final appearance. I resonated with those young fans the most, because 19 years ago, that was me. We had old Roy Boys, old bears fans and those who were captured by the three-peat alike to celebrate something undeniable- The Brisbane Lions were Back. There is something special about being a merger club I think, there is just so much shared history and love of the game that culminates in moments like the final siren going last Saturday.

I am so excited to share another one of those moments with all of you this weekend.

The Journey

I am sure every fans thinks this in the lead up to a Grand Final, but we have so many incredible stories to celebrate this week as we reflect on the journey that got us here. I know for me already this week, the nerves of a Grand Final can potentially override these stories, so please do take the moment to share your favourite stories this week to keep us focused on the moments that lead us here.

I won't be able to share them all, but here a few ones that are near and dear to my heart that typify our progress.

lKUFmDzU.jpg

This for me was the first tangible sign that the wheel was turning. In the aftermath of the Go Home Five and James Aish, the standard fare was that our gun draftees would run out that two year contract to much speculation, and if they did sign, it would be relatively late in their second year. Jarrod debuted against the Saints in April and by May, he had shown a level of confidence in the club that we hadn't seen for years, signing a new contract until the end of 2020.

It was such a special moment for me and bucked the trend of young players leaving. These days, it is fairly normal for us to hang onto young talent. It was an emphatic sign that we may actually be fixing our culcha.

So much of our success in the Fagan era has come off the back of buy in from young guns, and the environment that made Jarrod so eager to sign that contract is the same environment that has allowed players like Wilmot to debut in a final and Jaspa Fletcher to kick on from game one. It is about an environment where young players feel confident to express themselves and play their best footy.

Seeing Jarrod get to the last game of September is so special to me and many Lions fans. Jarrod was one of first young players in the Fagan era to express his total confidence in the club and I hope he enjoys the week. You were right Jarrod.

The lions are charging forward for a rare win against top eight contenders North Melbourne. The ball lands in the hands of young superstar Cam Rayner. He is offered some words of wisdom from his more experienced team mates as he lines up for goal. Cam decides to play on, snaps the ball and kicks a point. North go on to win the game and Cam is inconsolable.

What follows is something that exemplifies Chris Fagan the coach. He walks up to Cam after the game, cool and calm as you like, and comforts the still devastated Rayner. Rayner mentioned this moment specifically in an SEN interview earlier in the month when recalling that care and empathy Fages has for all of his players.

Don't worry, you will win us many more games in the future that are much more important than this one.

These learning moments from the past five years have culminated to the biggest game of the year. In the event that the day doesn't go our way, there is nobody on earth I'd want there more to comfort the players than Fagan.

2019 was the most enjoyable year of the rebuild for many, with our results far exceeding our expectations. Everything was just fun, from the moment we jumped the Eagles in Round 1 to our first ever final enhanced by the pre game failure of the PA system against Richmond.

It is late in the fourth quarter, and Mumford rugby passes it to Daniels as he runs away from Witherden at full speed to kick the winning goal. It was a heartbreaking night and I still remember the one GWS fan in QLD absolutely giving it to us in the members as we went down in heartbreaking fashion.

The run that year was over, but the journey was just beginning. On Saturday, we stayed back to sing the song to celebrate a prelim win, on that night, we stayed back to farewell a team that had given us everything, and had made us believe again.

As the players walked off, a massive lions chant erupted. We were all so grateful for the group of players and coaches who had brought us back to finals again, and continued to dream of a rare finals win.

Our Qualifying Final win against Richmond was something special, breaking an 11 Year drought without a finals win to take us to our first prelim since 2004. Despite the fact that I was at that game, the commentary of that moments still sits there as a core memory for me as a Lions fans, which probably shows that I watched the replay of this moment hundreds of times.

I am still so happy it was Hugh. Drafting Hugh was one of the best things we ever did, and ever since he showed class well above his peers on a rainy afternoon in Ballarat against the dogs, he hasn't looked back and remains on of our classiest players. We are so lucky to have people like Hugh at the club.

This was such a special night for the club and again represented a moment of growth for the team. Ticking off new milestones every year as we approached the truly big one.

This one last year was huge for us. Melbourne had spent so much time bullying us before this game, as recently as Round 23, and to go interstate and win a final at the MCG was such an important milestone for us to tick off.

Much like the Carlton Prelim, Melbourne came out of the blocks and absolutely smacked us. We showed the grit and determination to drag it back our way and come back for a famous win.

These are just a few of the moments that were running through my head as that final siren went. This moment was extended, and allowed for an in depth montage to play in my head as the siren rang for 65 seconds.

When we lay it all out like that, it really does seem like we've been building to this moment. I haven't even talked about Dayne Zorko's story as the boy from Benowa who refused to believe he wasn't AFL standard, or the countless ACL injuries our young guns have recovered from, or tragedies like Dan Rich falling off just before we get the chance to play in a Grand Final.

These are the stories that will get us through the week and the things that bind us together as fans.

The Grand Final

Please forgive me, but I won't spend too much time trying to analyse the game. It feels like a genuine 50/50, slightly weighted towards a very good Collingwood team, and I don't believe I have any football knowledge that won't be outclassed by the countless articles of analysis we are due to see this week from the media and bigfooty experts alike.

I will take a moment to talk about Collingwood and what they have achieved over the last two years. If our journey has been a demonstration in the power of belief and team culture in dragging a team to new heights, then the Collingwood Football Club must surely be as strong a case for this notion.

Craig McRae has driven a team that relies equally on a relentless system as it does unwavering belief. We could be 70 points up at the start of the third quarter and this Collingwood team would still believe they could win it. They are a mix of skill and relentless effort and on grand final day, they will be charging in like there is no tomorrow. They are sure to give us our most difficult test of the year. They are truly primed to traumatise me.

Regardless of who emerges victorious on Saturday, it will be a testament to the value of belief in building a football club. I have no doubt in my mind that the loser of this match will continue to be a force for years to come, and will once again return to this day in the future.

I predict a intensely physical contest that remains even until late in the fourth quarter, where we kick away and emerge 3 goal winners. Cameron Rayner takes a Norm Smith Medal home with a 22 disposal, 4 goal game, fulfilling Chris Fagan's prediction from 2017.

Final Thoughts

I have truly enjoyed spending the last decade with all of you riding the highs and lows of this club as we've returned to the final day in September, and having this community to share the journey with like minded Lions fans has been such a privilege. I cannot wait to share this week with so many of you as we wait for the biggest game since 2004.

I am eternally thankful to everyone involved at the club for the relentless work they have done to bring us back to the top, and this weekend feels like the culmination of all of that. Part of what has made this year so nerve racking is that I want these players to win those premiership medals so badly so that the entire AFL world knows what an impact they have had. I want it to be indisputable that they have had an immeasurable impact on our club, and dragged us back into relevancy when this seemed all but impossible years ago.

When that final siren went on Saturday, I realised that all of that really didn’t matter, and that the AFL world will probably never get it like we do as fans. It’s nobodies fault, but these players that have taken us back to the big dance will always be more special to us as Lions fans. We will always understand the trials, tribulations and torment that lead to that siren going on Saturday, and that is all that matters.

It is freeing, because no matter what happens at the MCG on Saturday, these guys brought us back to the top.

Lions by 19 points

Best preview I’ve read on here. I am fizzing. Hell yeah.

The Brisbane Lions Supporters Facebook group has organised a march to the MCG from the Napier Hotel in Fitzroy for those who are interested.

Do you know when it starts? I'll add it to the list.

great read. so many special memories along the way to this week that regardless of the result, the ride has delivered highs that would have been unthinkable of in the leppa / end of voss era

for me, neale (and to a lesser extent JL) requesting a trade here was where it all started to feel like we were on to something. a gun player with no connection to queensland in his prime under contract requesting to come to us was such a surprise at the time. now it is something we almost take for granted with daniher and dunkley doing so in subsequent years. really showed that players around the comp were taking notice that we were building something special under fagan

Wonderful post BRAB. I jumped on the Lions at the start of 2010, my allegiance captured by the 09 EF comeback. With a team boasting two of the best key forwards in the league, it seemed like the right time to buy in. Had I known the years of pain to come however, I may have thought twice.

On Saturday night I sat next to a lovely old lions supporter, she told me she had been to the four GFs in 01-04. We exchanged a hug on the final siren knowing the team was back there again.

Still a job to be done this Saturday, but it’s a great time to reflect and bask in just how far we have come.

View attachment 1813287

The Prelim

The Journey

lKUFmDzU.jpg

The Grand Final

Final Thoughts

Lions by 19 points

OMG you made me cry.

The lows were low, but no expectations had a certain charm. THAT I NEVER WANT TO RETURN TO.

Carlton jumping us has a silver lining - we are primed for the gf opening bounce and we know we can come back from whatever is thrown at us.

We got this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1813287

The Prelim

The Journey

lKUFmDzU.jpg

The Grand Final

Final Thoughts

Lions by 19 points

Saved the best for last mate.

Wonderful preview. So pumped for this game - bring on the last Saturday in September! Go Lions!

That was quality, BRERB.

Some stories stand out for me. Zorko and Lester finally making the big day are among them, after all of their struggles and criticism and perseverence through some pretty shitful days.

Rich, even longer suffering, just misses out in the scale of a 15 year career. Genuinely heartwrenching for him.

Cal Ah Chee also coms to mind. I can't think of another trade in the current team who has improved his game and his standing more. He is a genuine gun, so skillful, extremely courageous and tough as nails. An incredible story.

Fantastic Preview BRAB
Love the passion and a wonderful trip down memory lane.
One thing that we all share on here is our Love for this Football Club and of our boys who have taken us to the first Grand Final in 20 years.
Win lose or Draw that love will not fade and we will be back to go through it all again next year.
Love talking footy with all of you guys on here and can’t wait for this weekend.
Go Lions 🦁 I have an unbelievable amount of confidence in this group to go all the way.

Edit: would be great if we could organise a catch up whilst down in Melbourne

Fantastic Preview BRAB
Love the passion and a wonderful trip down memory lane.
One thing that we all share on here is our Love for this Football Club and of our boys who have taken us to the first Grand Final in 20 years.
Win lose or Draw that love will not fade and we will be back to go through it all again next year.
Love talking footy with all of you guys on here and can’t wait for this weekend.
Go Lions 🦁 I have an unbelievable amount of confidence in this group to go all the way.

Edit: would be great if we could organise a catch up whilst down in Melbourne
I am feeling strangely very confident as well and not anxious at all, that will probably all change on the drive to the airport Friday morning when reality bites.

I might not make it out of the MCG alive if the Grand Final is still anyone's game half way through the last quarter.

Brab that was a wonderful , well thought out and emotional preview .
As an older fan who experienced our 3 peat and loved that era of boys so much .
I realised recently I loved this group as much if not more .
It’s been like a jigsaw coming together and I am grateful to have the opportunity to maybe watch another group of amazing young man do it all again .
Go Lions 💖

This is genuinely a fantastic preview and story which shows our journey from rock bottom to the grand final. Amazingly told BRAB.

The Cam Rayner upset after the North game has always stuck with me as a beautiful moment on our journey.

Epic preview BRAB.

A lot of us have sat through the years where we were languishing at the bottom, and personally there were times where I wasn't sure there was light at the end of the tunnel.

The board spill, Swann, Noble and Fagan coming on board, players starting to come in instead of constantly leaving, the new training facilities out in Springfield etc. all feel like moments that have culminated in this, regardless of the result.

I started the trade/draft summaries 10 years ago and it's been a shift from trade periods when we've scavenged what we could for recent first round picks (what is Jayden Post up to these days), to bringing in players like Dunkley, McKenna, Ashcroft and Fletcher in the same off season.

Thought I'd pop up a thread to track the list changes this season.

Departures
Senior List (10 out)
Niall McKeever (delisted) (source)
Aaron Cornelius (delisted) (source)
Jesse O'Brien (delisted) (source)
Simon Black (retired) (source)
Todd Banfield (delisted) (source)
Sam Docherty (traded to Carlton)
Jared Polec (traded to Port Adelaide)
Elliott Yeo (traded to West Coast)
Patrick Karnezis (traded to Collingwood)
Billy Longer (traded to St. Kilda)

Rookie List (3 out)
Richard Newell (delisted) (source)
Callum Bartlett (delisted) (source)
Stephen Wrigley (delisted) (source)

Draft Picks
Pick 29 (to GWS, Polec trade)
Pick 45 (to Port Adelaide, Polec trade)
Pick 41 (to Geelong, West trade)
Pick 48 (to St. Kilda, Longer trade)

Arrivals
Free Agency/Trades (3 in)
Pick 22 (Polec trade)
Pick 25 (Longer trade)
Pick 28 (Yeo trade)
Pick 33 (Docherty trade)
Pick 34 (Polec trade)
Pick 41 (Longer trade) traded to Geelong (West trade)
Pick 48 (Polec trade) traded to St. Kilda (Longer trade)
Jackson Paine (Karnezis trade)
Trent West (traded for pick 41)
Luke McGuane (Delisted Free Agent) (source)

National Draft (7 in)
Pick 7 - James Aish
Pick 22 - Darcy Gardiner
Pick 25 - Daniel McStay
Pick 28 - Lewis Taylor
Pick 33 - Tom Cutler
Pick 34 - Nicholas Robertson
Pick 63 - Jonathan Freeman (Academy) (source)

Rookie Draft (3 in)
Pick 6 - Isaac Conway
Pick 23 - Zac O'Brien
Pick 69 - Archie Smith

Completed Trades
Sam Docherty to Carlton for #33
(source)
Jared Polec, #29 and #45 to Port Adelaide/GWS for #22, #34 and #48 (source)
Elliott Yeo to West Coast for #28 (source)
Patrick Karnezis to Collingwood for Jackson Paine (source)
Billy Longer and #48 to St. Kilda for #25 and #41 (source)
#41 to Geelong for Trent West (source)

Current Draft Picks
7, 22, 25, 28, 33, 34, 63*

List Housekeeping
Current List
Senior List (40 players currently)
1. Luke McGuane
2. Ryan Harwood
3. Brent Moloney
4. James Aish
5. Jack Crisp
6. Josh Green
7. Jed Adcock
8. Rohan Bewick
9. Ash McGrath
10. Daniel Rich
11. Pearce Hanley
12. Stefan Martin
13. Trent West
14. Brent Staker
15. Dayne Zorko
16. Jonathan Brown
17. Claye Beams
18. Nicholas Robertson
19. Jordan Lisle
21. Daniel Merrett
22. Marco Paparone
23. Matthew Leuenberger
24. Joel Patfull
25. Daniel McStay
26. Tom Cutler
27. Darcy Gardiner
28. Lewis Taylor
29. Andrew Raines
30. Jack Redden
31. James Polkinghorne
32. Sam Mayes
33. Michael Close
34. Jonathan Freeman
35. Ryan Lester
36. Matt Maguire
37. Patrick Wearden
38. Tom Rockliff
39. Jackson Paine
41. Mitch Golby
42. Justin Clarke

Rookie List (currently - 3 category A players, 3 category B players)
40. Isaac Conway
43. Nick Hayes
47. Zac O'Brien
44. Archie Smith (category B - QLD zone)
45. Jordan Bourke (category B - QLD zone)
46. Sam Michael (category B - QLD zone)
1 category A position vacant

NB: Senior list size = 38-40 players. Rookie list size = 4-6 category A (dependent on number on senior list), 3 category B (QLD zone, international)

Elevations
Justin Clarke to senior list (source)

New Numbers
Luke McGuane - #1
James Aish - #4
Jack Crisp - #5 (formely #47)
Trent West - #13
Nick Robertson - #18
Daniel McStay - #25
Tom Cutler - #26
Darcy Gardiner - #27
Lewis Taylor - #28
Jonathan Freeman - #34
Jackson Paine - #39
Isaac Conway - #40
Archie Smith - #44
Zac O'Brien - #47

Available Numbers

Compared to 2022:

Previous editions:
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Departures
Senior List (7 out)
Mitch Robinson (retired)
Ely Smith (delisted)
Daniel McStay (free agent to Collingwood)
Thomas Berry (traded to Gold Coast)
Connor McFadyen (delisted)
Nakia Cockatoo (delisted; to be re-rookied)
Ryan Lester (delisted; to be re-rookied)

Rookie List (2 out)
Deividas Uosis (delisted)
Mitch Cox (delisted)

Draft Picks
Pick 15
Pick 21
Pick 25
Pick 36

Pick 40
Pick 46
Pick 48
Pick 50
Pick 56
Pick 63

2023 1st round
2023 2nd round
2023 2nd round (GWS)
2023 3rd round (WB)
2023 3rd round (Mel)

2023 4th round
2023 4th round (Geelong)

Arrivals
Free Agency/Trades (2 in)
Jack Gunston (traded from Hawthorn)
Josh Dunkley (traded from Western Bulldogs)

National Draft (2 in)
Pick 2 - Will Ashcroft
Pick 12 - Jasper Fletcher

Rookie Draft (5 in)
Ryan Lester (Brisbane Lions)
Nakia Cockatoo (Brisbane Lions)
Conor McKenna
Darryl McDowell-White Jnr (category B)
Shadeau Brain (category B)

Draft Picks
Pick 21
Pick 25

Pick 35
Pick 36
Pick 38
Pick 41
Pick 48
Pick 50

Pick 52
Pick 55
Pick 56
Pick 63

2023 2nd round (Geel)
2023 2nd round (GWS)
2023 3rd round (WB)
2023 3rd round (Mel)

2023 3rd round (Geel)
2023 4th round (Freo)
2023 4th round (Geel)

Draft picks (pre-draft)
Pick 34 (542)
Pick 35 (522)
Pick 36 (502)
Pick 38 (465)
Pick 55 (207)
Pick 73 (9)
Total points = 2247

2023 (post-draft)
2023 2nd round (Geel)
2023 3rd round
2023 3rd round (Geel)
2023 4th round (Fre)
2023 5th round

Completed Trades/Free Agency movements
#Player(s)/Pick(s)Traded fromTraded toTraded for
1Band 3 (pick 35)Free agentBrisbane LionsDaniel McStay
2Pick 21 + FR2 (GWS)GWSBrisbane LionsPick 15
3Pick 25 + 36 + 56Gold CoastBrisbane LionsTom Berry + 46 + FR2 (GWS)
4Pick 38 + 48 + 55 + FR2 (Geel) + FR4 (Geel)GeelongBrisbane LionsPick 25
5Jack GunstonHawthornBrisbane LionsPick 48 + FR4
6Josh Dunkley + FR3 (WB) + FR3 (Mel)Western BulldogsBrisbane LionsPick 21 + FR1 + FR2 + FR4 (Geel)
7FR4 (Fre)AdelaideBrisbane LionsPick 56
8Pick 41 + 50 + 52 + 63HawthornBrisbane LionsPick 36 + FR3 (WB)
9Pick 40North MelbourneBrisbane LionsPick 63 + FR3 (Mel)
10FR3 (Geel)AdelaideBrisbane LionsPick 50

List Housekeeping
Current List
Senior List (36 players - year contract ends)
1. Kai Lohmann - 2023
2. Deven Robertson - 2023

3. Joe Daniher - 2025
4. Callum Ah Chee - 2023
5. Josh Dunkley - 2028
6. Hugh McCluggage - 2024
7. Jarrod Berry - 2024

8. Will Ashcroft - 2026
9. Lachie Neale - 2026

10. Daniel Rich - 2023
11. Lincoln McCarthy - 2024
13. Blake Coleman - 2023
14. James Madden - 2023
15. Dayne Zorko - 2023

16. Cameron Rayner - 2025
17. Jarryd Lyons - 2024
18. Keidean Coleman - 2024
19. Jack Gunston - 2024
20. Jaxon Prior - 2024

21. Tom Fullarton - 2023
22. Harry Sharp - 2023

23. Charlie Cameron - 2025
24. Marcus Adams - 2023
25. Henry Smith - 2024
27. Darcy Gardiner - 2025
28. Jasper Fletcher - 2024
29. James Tunstill - 2025
30. Eric Hipwood - 2023
31. Harris Andrews - 2025
32. Darcy Fort - 2024
33. Zac Bailey - 2024
37. Brandon Starcevich - 2024
40. Jack Payne - 2024
43. Noah Answerth - 2024

44. Darcy Wilmot - 2025
46. Oscar McInerney - 2024

Rookie List (currently - 6 category A player, 2 category B players)
12. Nakia Cockatoo - 2023
26. Conor McKenna - 2023
34. Shadeau Brain - 2023 (category B)
35. Ryan Lester - 2023
36. Rhys Mathieson - 2023
39. Carter Michael - 2023

45. Kalin Lane - 2024
50. Darryl McDowell-White Jnr - 2023 (category B)

NB: Senior list size = 36-38 players. Rookie list size = 4-6 category A (dependent on number on senior list), 2 category B (QLD zone, international). Maximum list size = 44. Rookies are required to be delisted or upgraded at the end of their third year

New Numbers
#5 - Josh Dunkley (new)
#8 - Will Ashcroft (new)
#13 - Blake Coleman (previously 34)
#19 - Jack Gunston (new)
#25 - Henry Smith (previously 19)
#26 - Conor McKenna (new)
#28 - Jaspa Fletcher (new)
#34 - Shadeau Brain (new)
#50 - Darryl McDowell-White (new)

Available Numbers
38, 41, 42

When those first young guns chose to stay instead of just us feeding them to other clubs it was a watershed moment.

When the likes of Charlie and Lachie chose to come here wow and all those other quality folk that have joined us ... we may not have an official no di**heads policy but we seem to be working along the same lines.

Feeling confident for this weekend... hey we have already met my pre-season hopes and this year just feels different ... we did not sneak or Bradbury our way in we are part of the last dance because we damn well belong there and our boys know it!

Of course the fact that we have the opportunity to crush the hearts of the Pies once more is just gravy 😁

GO LIONS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back