Preview Finals Week 1 • Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide • Saturday 9 September 2023 • 7:25 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i
SUB - should be Fort in my view. Port have an extra tall compared to us. If Oscar goes down it would be a disaster having Lycett back. Honestly no idea what we would actually do. If we are getting beaten in the middle in this game i don't think Lyons would help that much - Port's weapon in there being speed

MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER - DUNKLEY - He has been a bit down on output recently. Break might have helped him freshen up as he does a lot of grunt work. He will be pivotal in making sure above all else Port don't get the easy centre clearances they got in round 1. If he can grab 5 clearances of his own in the process that would be great.

PLAYER I HOPE HAD HEALING CRYSTALS - JACK PAYNE - he was just phenomenal earlier in the season. Looked increasingly hobbled by the ankle. Did he just look a little bit better against the saints or was i imagining that? Suspect he will get Marshall who is a smooth-mover and good on the lead, and their best kick at goal. So it's crucial Payne is good to go. If we win him playing 1 game since round 24 should really have him primed for the last 2 weeks

THE PLAYER WE NEED AN ACTUAL PLAN FOR - ALIIR ALIIR - Midfield battle is what it is. But figuring out a plan for Aliir, and pulling it off, would mean we should be kicking a score. It's all the more important given we are down to 2 talls. Aliir loves freedom to fly for his marks. Agree with some others that we need someone really bodying him so he can't do that in an ideal world, although i am not sure who. Rayner? I want him free to attack and create. Maybe Hippy can defy his body shape and do a bit of it. If Aliir goes to Hipwood i'd be telling him to try to drag him up the ground a bit, then sprint back and get free out the back. Has the tank and pace to do it.

WILL BE A GOOD NIGHT IF - we get a good start. I really think confidence could flow from that and Port could be intimidated by a big one sided crowd

WILL BE A BAD NIGHT IF - Port are getting clean clearances. No side can defend that. Also wary of the kicking pandemic that spread through the team last week - the groans once we started missing. Very infectious!

Feeling confident ish now, but no doubt by the time the game starts i will having a bit of an insurance bet on port ha
I should add i really hope we have a plan if Neale is struggling to break a heavy tag. He seems to be left on his own and i really don't get it given how crucial he is for us. Drew will wear him like a glove i think

I agree about their midfielders Squizz89, which is why we only want hard tacklers in the middle.
The other thing that people tend not to mention when they talk about the need to win midfield and general clearances is the importance of Oscar McInerney. We really need Oscar to fire up big time. He does come in for some criticism from time to time does our Oscar, but his numbers look excellent in terms of clearances. He is right up there with some of our more celebrated midfielders.

View attachment 1796916

View attachment 1796918
Yes. This. Big men play big roles in big games. We saw the impact Cox had early last night against Gawn. We really need Oscar to get stuck in early and make physical statements that say "come with me boys". Within the rules of course.

Yes. This. Big men play big roles in big games. We saw the impact Cox had early last night against Gawn. We really need Oscar to get stuck in early and make physical statements that say "come with me boys". Within the rules of course.
He was instrumental in the start of that qualifying final against Richmond 3 years ago. He was even rewarded for HTB on Bolton I think early in that 1st quarter. It set the tone for the rest of our team that night.

This kind of concerns me a little bit.
The players on occasions have said that they tend to play better when Fages himself has a harder edge to him.
So I hope things aren’t a bit too relaxed.
Like before round 1

The players on occasions have said that they tend to play better when Fages himself has a harder edge to him.
Like before round 1
And people are already talking about a prelim against Melbourne or Carton. It's not automatically going to happen even though it's at the Gabba.

SUB - should be Fort in my view. Port have an extra tall compared to us. If Oscar goes down it would be a disaster having Lycett back. Honestly no idea what we would actually do. If we are getting beaten in the middle in this game i don't think Lyons would help that much - Port's weapon in there being speed

MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER - DUNKLEY - He has been a bit down on output recently. Break might have helped him freshen up as he does a lot of grunt work. He will be pivotal in making sure above all else Port don't get the easy centre clearances they got in round 1. If he can grab 5 clearances of his own in the process that would be great.

PLAYER I HOPE HAD HEALING CRYSTALS - JACK PAYNE - he was just phenomenal earlier in the season. Looked increasingly hobbled by the ankle. Did he just look a little bit better against the saints or was i imagining that? Suspect he will get Marshall who is a smooth-mover and good on the lead, and their best kick at goal. So it's crucial Payne is good to go. If we win him playing 1 game since round 24 should really have him primed for the last 2 weeks

THE PLAYER WE NEED AN ACTUAL PLAN FOR - ALIIR ALIIR - Midfield battle is what it is. But figuring out a plan for Aliir, and pulling it off, would mean we should be kicking a score. It's all the more important given we are down to 2 talls. Aliir loves freedom to fly for his marks. Agree with some others that we need someone really bodying him so he can't do that in an ideal world, although i am not sure who. Rayner? I want him free to attack and create. Maybe Hippy can defy his body shape and do a bit of it. If Aliir goes to Hipwood i'd be telling him to try to drag him up the ground a bit, then sprint back and get free out the back. Has the tank and pace to do it.

WILL BE A GOOD NIGHT IF - we get a good start. I really think confidence could flow from that and Port could be intimidated by a big one sided crowd

WILL BE A BAD NIGHT IF - Port are getting clean clearances. No side can defend that. Also wary of the kicking pandemic that spread through the team last week - the groans once we started missing. Very infectious!

Feeling confident ish now, but no doubt by the time the game starts i will having a bit of an insurance bet on port ha
We don't want to see Port players streaming out of the centre square unattended.

I'm a little worried about Powell-Pepper always seems to play his best against us... their midfield is stacked with high impact players, at least we have a few who can perform lockdown roles if needed eg. Berry, Dunkley, Robertson.

Like before round 1
And people are already talking about a prelim against Melbourne or Carton. It's not automatically going to happen even though it's at the Gabba.
If we go into the game cocky with our intensity down I will be flabbergasted and extremely disappointed > :cry:

Like before round 1

I think Fagan has admitted he underestimated his effect on the teams psyche

Assuming he's acting differently internally or will as the game gets closer or that he senses the team are already too on edge and need to tone it down

I think Fagan has admitted he underestimated his effect on the teams psyche

Assuming he's acting differently internally or will as the game gets closer or that he senses the team are already too on edge and need to tone it down
Round 1 was a lack of intensity

I don't think finals have been- more lack of composure. Forgetting about gameplan, blind bombing long, silly free kicks (gws first quarter) because we are wound up

Being more relaxed beforehand should help i think

Like before round 1

I think the harder edge this year is him challenging the players. No more we're still on our learning journey. It seems to be the message is now, you are good enough, this is it, win.

I agree about their midfielders Squizz89, which is why we only want hard tacklers in the middle.
The other thing that people tend not to mention when they talk about the need to win midfield and general clearances is the importance of Oscar McInerney. We really need Oscar to fire up big time. He does come in for some criticism from time to time does our Oscar, but his numbers look excellent in terms of clearances. He is right up there with some of our more celebrated midfielders.

View attachment 1796916

View attachment 1796918
Oscar is definitely underrated for when the ball hits the ground. He can definitely impact and win clearances on his own as well as almost any ruck in the comp.

He just gets a bit exposed in the air (both marking and boundary throw-ins). The biggest and best rucks (Gawn, etc) do bother us on this front. For the finals just needs to keep at least neutralising the opposition and not letting them get too on top. It doesnt matter too much if he loses the taps just dont let them do as they please

Round 1 was a lack of intensity

I don't think finals have been- more lack of composure. Forgetting about gameplan, blind bombing long, silly free kicks (gws first quarter) because we are wound up

Being more relaxed beforehand should help i think

True for the close losses but maybe not the bigger losses

True for the close losses but maybe not the bigger losses
I'm trying to think of them

Richmond in the 2019 QF - we came out pretty hot then, great first quarter. Let them get out the back too much. I thought our intensity was pretty good?

Geelong 2020 - this one we started okay but i agree intensity was an issue. We just seemed incredibly flat having had the week off.

Melbourne 2021 was not a big loss, also thought our intensity fine, played a good side, lost McStay, tough game

Geelong 2022 - we looked a bit done. would agree we lacked some intensity as soon as the cats got on top

So yeah on balance - a decent point. especially given that geelong game was our last final!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to think of them

Richmond in the 2019 QF - we came out pretty hot then, great first quarter. Let them get out the back too much. I thought our intensity was pretty good?

Geelong 2020 - this one we started okay but i agree intensity was an issue. We just seemed incredibly flat having had the week off.

Melbourne 2021 was not a big loss, also thought our intensity fine, played a good side, lost McStay, tough game

Geelong 2022 - we looked a bit done. would agree we lacked some intensity as soon as the cats got on top

So yeah on balance - a decent point. especially given that geelong game was our last final!
Even the 2019 game against Richmond, thought we played really well in general play. More shots at goal says as much. Kicking 8-17 however is a little unhelpful.

Even the 2019 game against Richmond, thought we played really well in general play. More shots at goal says as much. Kicking 8-17 however is a little unhelpful.
And the odd throw or 2 from Dusty and howlers of free kicks to Riewoldt. And so on and so on.

We don't want to see Port players streaming out of the centre square unattended.

I'm a little worried about Powell-Pepper always seems to play his best against us... their midfield is stacked with high impact players, at least we have a few who can perform lockdown roles if needed eg. Berry, Dunkley, Robertson.
Yes. Some matchups I would like to see:

Robertson on any of Butters, Horne-Francis or Rozee. Question will be whether we want to stop them at the source or on the break. And that may only be best determined once the game starts. But I think he should start on someone as I think a good start to the game is crucial, particularly for Port, being away from home. So I'd start him on Butters but assess after 15 minutes and at quarter time.

If we do need to lock down on multiple guys I'd be looking at Berry to Rozee.

In defence, I'm looking at Payne going to Marshall, and actually being switched on this time. I remember from the first quarter of Round 1 him being outbodied on the goal line by Marshall to concede a long range goal that definitely should have been spoiled through. A classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" moment. Come to play Jack.

Lester to Finlayson. Giving away 5cm but would like to see him given first crack, but can roll Andrews in to him if needed.

Andrews on Lord nominally, but floating to impact. Lord a decent player tho and shouldn't be underrated or ignored.

Starcevich on Powell-Pepper. This one could decide the game.

No real preference here but that leaves McKenna/Coleman/Wilmot on Byrne-Jones, Rioli and McEntee. We look to have them covered for height and overhead marking capacity here... whether they can beat us on the deck could be crucial.

Up front we probably need to do something about Aliir. We've all talked about sending Rayner to him, and I agree that's something we could look at. But looking at the lineups I'd actually prefer to see Ah Chee go to him if we need to shut him down. He's a frac shorter than Cam but he plays tall, is a decent overhead mark and I really think if he can make life hard for Aliir, it frees Cam up to do Cam things. Cal certainly has the mindset and probably the discipline to give this a red hot crack.

Gawn was the only player who kept Melbourne in the game in my opinion. Dominated the ruck against anyone Collingwood put up against him.
Oscar is not an outstanding ruckman in my opinion but you can be assurred that he will give it everything every time he plays....not so sure he is a "come with me boys" type like a Lachie Neale or Andrews can be.

Gawn was the only player who kept Melbourne in the game in my opinion. Dominated the ruck against anyone Collingwood put up against him.
Oscar is not an outstanding ruckman in my opinion but you can be assurred that he will give it everything every time he plays....not so sure he is a "come with me boys" type like a Lachie Neale or Andrews can be.
Melbourne lost the hit outs pretty convincingly I thought

Midfield support acts (ie: everyone outside of Lachie) need to play out of their skins. That happens, we win. Easily.

Any blind kicks down Aliir’s throat will result in tantrums.

Apart from that, controllable I want to see: sticking of tackles; keeping of feet; strictly no stopping and appealing for free kicks WHILE THE BALL IS STILL IN PLAY 😡; backmen killing the ball (and not taking each other out in the process); discipline.

Last edited:
I really get the sense that the players are “owning” this finals series. The group seem to be much more intrinsically motivated. Given the age / experience profile of the group, they shouldn’t NEED Fagan to be giving them a rev up or a bake. I think a lot of people are going to stop and take notice of the Lions after Saturday night. 🦁

Yes. Some matchups I would like to see:

Robertson on any of Butters, Horne-Francis or Rozee. Question will be whether we want to stop them at the source or on the break. And that may only be best determined once the game starts. But I think he should start on someone as I think a good start to the game is crucial, particularly for Port, being away from home. So I'd start him on Butters but assess after 15 minutes and at quarter time.

If we do need to lock down on multiple guys I'd be looking at Berry to Rozee.

In defence, I'm looking at Payne going to Marshall, and actually being switched on this time. I remember from the first quarter of Round 1 him being outbodied on the goal line by Marshall to concede a long range goal that definitely should have been spoiled through. A classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" moment. Come to play Jack.

Lester to Finlayson. Giving away 5cm but would like to see him given first crack, but can roll Andrews in to him if needed.

Andrews on Lord nominally, but floating to impact. Lord a decent player tho and shouldn't be underrated or ignored.

Starcevich on Powell-Pepper. This one could decide the game.

No real preference here but that leaves McKenna/Coleman/Wilmot on Byrne-Jones, Rioli and McEntee. We look to have them covered for height and overhead marking capacity here... whether they can beat us on the deck could be crucial.

Up front we probably need to do something about Aliir. We've all talked about sending Rayner to him, and I agree that's something we could look at. But looking at the lineups I'd actually prefer to see Ah Chee go to him if we need to shut him down. He's a frac shorter than Cam but he plays tall, is a decent overhead mark and I really think if he can make life hard for Aliir, it frees Cam up to do Cam things. Cal certainly has the mindset and probably the discipline to give this a red hot crack.
Yep I agree on Cal over cam for the job. I didn’t think of that before and you’re right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back