Preview Round 9, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon Bombers, Saturday 13th May, 7:25. Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't be playing him if he wasn't fit and we are so far away from the end of the season that it doesn't matter if he does another soft tissue now. We can't just keep him in cotton wool until then.

Or can we?
Hopefully you and the Club are right.
Lyons was obviously fit to play late last year too.
So, they don't always get it right.
It was only a month ago Fagan said they would be taking a Geelong approach in regard to older players coming back from injury.

Just hope he gets through this game and up to the bye round.

Jarrod Berry is a saint. No idea how he didn’t lose his s**t in an interview with Dermott

Dermott’s on AFL360 tonight with Kath Loughnan.

he’s interviewing Jarrod Berry, and asking about the time when his mother passed away…

”at that time when your mother unfortunately expired…”

Expired….EXPIRED

Jim Carrey Omg GIF
It was truly cringeworthy...full credit to Jarrod!

Hopefully you and the Club are right.
Lyons was obviously fit to play late last year too.
So, they don't always get it right.
It was only a month ago Fagan said they would be taking a Geelong approach in regard to older players coming back from injury.

Just hope he gets through this game and up to the bye round.

"Fit to play" really just means "it won't make it worse" in most cases. Lyons met that standard, because I don't think it deteriorated over the year, but he didn't meet the standard of "is there no one in the reserves that can do better" once he had said injury.

In the Covid ravaged 2020 season and when Richmond played Geelong in the GF at the Gabba, I had the pleasure of sitting next to a very pleasant gentleman who was a Bombers supporter.

Before that, I had this almost pathological hatred of all things Essendon.

There are good and bad supporters in every club.

I hope you have the good grace to console your good mate after we take his team to the cleaners
To be fair I now have a soft spot for the bombers and find myself almost cheering then on when they play. Obviously want us to slaughter them tomorrow tho haha. Funny how footy works.

But yeh I will be cautious. Maybe won't sing country roads after the 5th time tomorrow night just not to rub it in haha.

Gawd, the Bombers have ALWAYS been one of my least favourite sides and I don't see that changing however they play. Must be a function of having been a Pies supporter for my first 20-odd years.

That, and having a Bomber-supporter best mate who used to rub it in with every Essendon win in the 80s. Funny thing is, we've both now been Brisbane fans for the last 35 years.

Doesn't seem any point at all playing Zorko in a game like this unless he was 100% so can only presume he is.

I'm fully on the Sharp and Lester bandwagon now. The selectors have twisted my arm.

They've got some big outs. Don't see how we don't massacre them.

I suppose stranger things have happened but nothing presently springs to mind.
Tomorrow night will become known as the Massacre on Grass.

Got a feeling this is going to be a demolition job. We are relentless at the moment and Essendon have some key players missing. Our forward line is a massive mismatch against their under manned defence and if we get enough entries we will kick a big score.

Lions by 78.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but we've been up for 5 weeks in a row. Would be unbelievable to continue this form again

Maybe it'll just be a win that we bank and reset for a big QClash the following week
Probably the more likely outcome given that however thoroughly we're prepared ,with the extra days off mentally the players could switch off and coast. It's not a game where everyone will be full throttle.

That often backfires but we should be able to find another gear if it gets interesting.

Gawd, the Bombers have ALWAYS been one of my least favourite sides and I don't see that changing however they play. Must be a function of having been a Pies supporter for my first 20-odd years.

That, and having a Bomber-supporter best mate who used to rub it in with every Essendon win in the 80s. Funny thing is, we've both now been Brisbane fans for the last 35 years.
Still remember the Lloyd’s a w***er chants from the 2001 grand final at the G.

Some very quiet bombers fans on the day

To be fair I now have a soft spot for the bombers and find myself almost cheering then on when they play. Obviously want us to slaughter them tomorrow tho haha. Funny how footy works.

But yeh I will be cautious. Maybe won't sing country roads after the 5th time tomorrow night just not to rub it in haha.
You guys are crazy.

Essendon supporters are easily among the most arrogant of all.

It’s only because they’ve been down for so long - look out if they actually make/win a final in the next 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still remember the Lloyd’s a w***er chants from the 2001 grand final at the G.

Some very quiet bombers fans on the day
Imagine the uproar from the media these days if a chant like that happened again.
Just flat out bullying would be the cry.
Can’t booo anymore without claims of racial abuse or bullying.

Imagine the uproar from the media these days if a chant like that happened again.
What about some of the things coaches used to say to players, eg. Blight re Pittman and Barassi's bloody weak as piss comment.:eek:

I still remember the booing and abused that the OG Libba copped at the Gabba after tried to claw out Craig McRae's eyes.

Think he'd done the same the year before to another Lions players and don't seem to recall anyone claiming the booing was because of a deep-seated racism towards Italians

we could argue the truth defence re: chanting lloyd is a w***er

I still remember the booing and abused that the OG Libba copped at the Gabba after tried to claw out Craig McRae's eyes.

Think he'd done the same the year before to another Lions players and don't seem to recall anyone claiming the booing was because of a deep-seated racism towards Italians
I remember him doing it to Black, but turns out that was a teammate of his. However apparently Libba did do it to Lawrence the year before McRae.

When I was a kid growing up in Melbourne my father and all his generation of my relatives were Essendon surporters ... myself, the siblings and all my cousins ended up going for Richmond partly becuase they were doing well and partly because they were NOT Essendon.

So any time the Dons are down, embarresed, pilloried, slaughtered or otherwise put into their rightful place of irrelevance and despond is fine by me :)

What about some of the things coaches used to say to players, eg. Blight re Pittman and Barassi's bloody weak as piss comment.:eek:
You could fill a book with what now would regarded as inappropriate things coaches have said to players. Before you started on the abusive things.

In this era we've gone too far the other way. I'm too scared to say anything other than the banal to my kids in case I upset their worries about the climate , the transgenders and the millions of other people they've never met or actually even know of who would be offended.

Historically public mores can change dramatically through the eras. We haven't had a war in a while , things like that usually reset what worries people.

Hopefully this eras repositioning make the world easier to navigate for those affected.

But back to footy if the players now who are around 5-10 years younger than my kids have a similar mindset they're well aware of what their 'rights' are and we now have different and more appropriate motivational tools . A man who came up in the old school like Fagan was quick to adapt to what worked now.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but we've been up for 5 weeks in a row. Would be unbelievable to continue this form again

Maybe it'll just be a win that we bank and reset for a big QClash the following week

Definitely can happen. Football is unpredictable. I would just hope the melts don’t get too bad on here if it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back