Preview Round 10, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 20th May, 7:30. Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview
Aug 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coming off a confidence-boosting win against the Eagles and showing a ton of fight the week before against the Dees, the 4W, 5L Suns are showing some promising form in the absence of their illustrious leader Touk Miller.

Meanwhile, Brisbane is looking to make it 7 in a row to really cement their charge for another premiership on the 20th anniversary of their three-peat.

For QLD Footy, the Q Clash has often been a one-sided affair, but not without some niggle along the way (who can forget Steven May's hit on Stef Martin?) It's a game that doesn't attract great attention from the footballing fraternity, and as someone who wants to see more QLD Footy focus, it's a match I'd like to see be a close tussle.

Touk Can Play At That Game

Last time we met, Touk Miller made us work for a slim 17 point win, with 34 touches and 7 tackles; he was outdone only by the 50 hit outs to teammate Jarrod Witts. With Miller out injured, who picks up the slack? Enter Matt Rowell. With 29 possessions, a whopping 17 tackles and a goal against West Coast, he looks set to cause some headaches through the middle. With Witts still showing domination in the ruck and Anderson providing plenty of support, these three have the potential to provide ample opportunity for King and Chol up forward.

City to Coast

We've all enjoyed watching the Suns squirm awkwardly when Lyons and Zorko give them a reminder of what they missed out on, and on Saturday, Tom Berry will be looking to do the same to us. I think it's fair to say most of us admired his mongrel and were hoping to see it more in our colours, and I'm hoping we don't see him fill us with regrets when we face off. I might still stifle a wry smile if he lays a tackle on his brother.

The Contest

The Suns will be looking to flip the tables on what has been a dominant hold by the Lions in the Q Clash, having not lost since 2018. The Suns have shown some spirited performances recently but still don't look likely to threaten a finals position. On the other hand, Brisbane is poised to go deep in September, heck, all the way is most people's pass mark. With all 3 lines firing and (most of) our new inclusions clicking perfectly, the Suns will need to pull off something extremely special to get a win.

Changes

Lions –
Barring Big O soreness not expecting to see any changes, perhaps Ah Chee for Answerth

Suns – Suns will be hoping Ben Long gets over his back soreness and Casboult is likely included depending on the impending birth of baby Casboult

Result

Lions by 34 with Ashcroft collecting a Rising Star nomination and Neale putting a BoG performance.

Coming off a confidence-boosting win against the Eagles and showing a ton of fight the week before against the Dees, the 4W, 5L Suns are showing some promising form in the absence of their illustrious leader Touk Miller.

Meanwhile, Brisbane is looking to make it 7 in a row to really cement their charge for another premiership on the 20th anniversary of their three-peat.

For QLD Footy, the Q Clash has often been a one-sided affair, but not without some niggle along the way (who can forget Steven May's hit on Stef Martin?) It's a game that doesn't attract great attention from the footballing fraternity, and as someone who wants to see more QLD Footy focus, it's a match I'd like to see be a close tussle.

Touk Can Play At That Game

Last time we met, Touk Miller made us work for a slim 17 point win, with 34 touches and 7 tackles; he was outdone only by the 50 hit outs to teammate Jarrod Witts. With Miller out injured, who picks up the slack? Enter Matt Rowell. With 29 possessions, a whopping 17 tackles and a goal against West Coast, he looks set to cause some headaches through the middle. With Witts still showing domination in the ruck and Anderson providing plenty of support, these three have the potential to provide ample opportunity for King and Chol up forward.

City to Coast

We've all enjoyed watching the Suns squirm awkwardly when Lyons and Zorko give them a reminder of what they missed out on, and on Saturday, Tom Berry will be looking to do the same to us. I think it's fair to say most of us admired his mongrel and were hoping to see it more in our colours, and I'm hoping we don't see him fill us with regrets when we face off. I might still stifle a wry smile if he lays a tackle on his brother.

The Contest

The Suns will be looking to flip the tables on what has been a dominant hold by the Lions in the Q Clash, having not lost since 2018. The Suns have shown some spirited performances recently but still don't look likely to threaten a finals position. On the other hand, Brisbane is poised to go deep in September, heck, all the way is most people's pass mark. With all 3 lines firing and (most of) our new inclusions clicking perfectly, the Suns will need to pull off something extremely special to get a win.

Changes

Lions – Barring Big O soreness not expecting to see any changes, perhaps Ah Chee for Answerth

Suns – Suns will be hoping Ben Long gets over his back soreness and Casboult is likely included depending on the impending birth of baby Casboult

Result

Lions by 34 with Ashcroft collecting a Rising Star nomination and Neale putting a BoG performance.

Wow, 2 rising star noms in a season for Ashcroft - what can't he do!

Last time we played the suns they weren't facing up to a Neale with friends in Dunkley and Ashcroft or a fully focused Andrews or feeling the Payne.

Squiggle has us Brisbane Lions 86 - 70 Gold Coast so obviously getting it right this time.

Gold Coast are building (again) but I don't think they are going to cut the mustard this time either.

GO LIONS!

will be a tough game sunny boys have improved and are playing good footy , we wont get a chance to ease up and coast as we do most weeks, its 100% all game or we will get rolled. conversion needs to step up from the last game but we have the class to win easily just need to show it all game. dont think its just a job of turning up for the win , suns will be tough very tough to crack

Was interested in the records...

Overall played 23, Lions have won 17 including the last 8 in a row. Suns best stretch was winning 4/6 games from 2014 to 2016.

Wonder if we will beat the record crowd of 27170?
I'd be disappointed if we don't. Mind you, on my observations, we're getting a heck of a lot more ticket holders staying away than what we're used to. Even sell-outs seem to have hit a ceiling of about 32-33k.

Was interested in the records...

Overall played 23, Lions have won 17 including the last 8 in a row. Suns best stretch was winning 4/6 games from 2014 to 2016.

Wonder if we will beat the record crowd of 27170?
Got a funny feeling I remember that particular day the club gave away something like 4-5 thousand tickets to junior football clubs in Brissie which helped to give the crowd numbers a boost for that game?

I'd be disappointed if we don't. Mind you, on my observations, we're getting a heck of a lot more ticket holders staying away than what we're used to. Even sell-outs seem to have hit a ceiling of about 32-33k.
Has capacity dropped to around the 35-36k mark?
So maybe not too bad.

Getting there may be a detraction. Rail works over the weekend is closing allot of lines and replacing with buses. I live in Everton Park, and is usually a 40min commute to get home (Gabba to Central by bus and then train to Mitchelton). On Sat, I didn't get home until Sunday (got in my car at 12:03 am)

Getting there may be a detraction. Rail works over the weekend is closing allot of lines and replacing with buses. I live in Everton Park, and is usually a 40min commute to get home (Gabba to Central by bus and then train to Mitchelton). On Sat, I didn't get home until Sunday (got in my car at 12:03 am)
Sounds s**t. Perhaps drive somewhere closer and get a bus?

We got 30,047 to the Demons game so will be pushing to break that 27k figure.
The Suns are playing better so more fans may make the trip north. I doubt it will be in large numbers though.
In last year's round 19 game, 21.5K attended on a Saturday 7.10pm.
Going into that round we were 3rd and they were 12th on the ladder. The Suns were only 1 game + % out of the 8 at that stage.
This year we are 3rd and they are 11th and also just 1 game out of the 8 + %.
Thinking 25/26K would be a reasonable turnout if the weather is fine.

This weekend looks okay unless something else pops up.

1684127344943.png

The Suns are looking much better this year but at home we should be too strong. Should run out a 4 goal win.

I would expect unchanged but the big question mark is still Gunston. He might be a great on field coach but he isnt scoring and he isnt defending enough. Not sure we should keep playing him.

Fullerton I have never been a huge fan of but seems to have improved a lot this year. I am uncertain on his leading and forward craft (too often would end up front and centre in the wrong spot). Can we give him a few games to see where he's at?

Fort is the other obvious option. Has done zero wrong every time he's played. Allows Oscar to get a bit more rest as well. Although means Joe does least ruck work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a bit of thinking, I would not be averse to see Ah Chee given a go at Gunston's role. He is smart enough, skilled enough, and big enough to succeed. Fullarton and Fort are a different type of player, and I like the Joe that owns the 2nd ruck possie

Him in the forward line frees up Rayner to play the role he did last week which helps his game, and - IMO - helps the coaches manage Ashcroft's time.

10 years ago when I used to go with mates, we used to park near the Storey Bridge Hotel and have a few and then get the free bus from there to the ground and then they pick you up at the same spot to bring you back to the pub afterwards. Good times - no idea if it still going, been a while since we did that.

If I hadn't watched the game and read the changes thread I would have assumed we had lost by some of the proposed changes in there...

Big O has easily won the last three ruck matchups with two of them being against a two ruck setup that has been praised highly. As others mentioned his hitout stats I have to say I don't care much for them when hes the top clearance winner for rucks in the league. We are also the top clearance team for the league so I have a hard time believing his low hitout to advantage % is somehow hindering the team's performance.The interesting stat in that he averages way more stoppage clearances than centre clearances. Neale tops the centre clearances in the league and Oscar is tied seventh for stoppage clearances in the entire league. I don't see how he is anything but one of the better stoppage rucks in the league.

Gunston is not quick and I can see how it can be a weakness against a team who may look to exploit it. However, I think we should wait and see an actual team do it and succeed before we panic. We beat Collingwood with Gunston who are the quickest and also the best team in the league. We dominated Carlton who have arguably the fastest halfback line and basically completely denied Saad and Newman from being able to run and carry. Redman got some space on the weekend, especially in the third quarter, yet it was Essendon's lowest scoring quarter and they lost the inside 50 count 68-38. Their three goals in the second didn't come from Gunston's man running loose of the halfback. They had a spare in defence that helped them capitalise from our very weak forward 50 entries which allowed them to slingshot for two goals. The other came from a 50 metre penalty.

While maybe Fullarton could provide some more pressure, I don't see him playing better than Gunston in literally every other facet of the game. I could see Fort maybe clunking an extra contested mark but he isn't exactly quicker or better than Gunston in the other aspects either.

Much like the talk around dropping McCarthy, I don't see why we need Gunston to be kicking more. Charlie is fourth in the Coleman while Daniher is tied fifth. Daniher had seven scoring shots on goal and Charlie had five but only managed to score 0.1. Clugs and Bailey also had three shots each. We had 32 shots at goal compared to 18. Genuinely, I don't see how either Fort or Fullarton makes those numbers better.

If I hadn't watched the game and read the changes thread I would have assumed we had lost by some of the proposed changes in there...

Big O has easily won the last three ruck matchups with two of them being against a two ruck setup that has been praised highly. As others mentioned his hitout stats I have to say I don't care much for them when hes the top clearance winner for rucks in the league. We are also the top clearance team for the league so I have a hard time believing his low hitout to advantage % is somehow hindering the team's performance.The interesting stat in that he averages way more stoppage clearances than centre clearances. Neale tops the centre clearances in the league and Oscar is tied seventh for stoppage clearances in the entire league. I don't see how he is anything but one of the better stoppage rucks in the league.

Gunston is not quick and I can see how it can be a weakness against a team who may look to exploit it. However, I think we should wait and see an actual team do it and succeed before we panic. We beat Collingwood with Gunston who are the quickest and also the best team in the league. We dominated Carlton who have arguably the fastest halfback line and basically completely denied Saad and Newman from being able to run and carry. Redman got some space on the weekend, especially in the third quarter, yet it was Essendon's lowest scoring quarter and they lost the inside 50 count 68-38. Their three goals in the second didn't come from Gunston's man running loose of the halfback. They had a spare in defence that helped them capitalise from our very weak forward 50 entries which allowed them to slingshot for two goals. The other came from a 50 metre penalty.

While maybe Fullarton could provide some more pressure, I don't see him playing better than Gunston in literally every other facet of the game. I could see Fort maybe clunking an extra contested mark but he isn't exactly quicker or better than Gunston in the other aspects either.

Much like the talk around dropping McCarthy, I don't see why we need Gunston to be kicking more. Charlie is fourth in the Coleman while Daniher is tied fifth. Daniher had seven scoring shots on goal and Charlie had five but only managed to score 0.1. Clugs and Bailey also had three shots each. We had 32 shots at goal compared to 18. Genuinely, I don't see how either Fort or Fullarton makes those numbers better.
I just don't get it with Gunston. He loses nearly every 1 on 1 and gets outrun every time you need to run.

Just because the team is winning mightn't be anything to do with him.

I understand he won't get dropped and one day he'll kick 4 or 5 which will seal his spot till the finals but unless a different Gunston turns up to the one I've seen, which is always a possibility if he's carrying something ,then be exploited he will be when the real pressure's on. He was soundly beaten by the two guys who played on him Saturday. I respect what you say but would love to see Rayner or Ah Chee play the third tall . Or Fort for some aerial dominance. Fullarton I'm not sold on till he performs at Senior level but even prepared to give him a go.

But I'm biased. I thought getting him was a backward step ,two Hawthorn tragic acqaintences of mine told me he was gone last year and now I'm copping the I toldya's.

So maybe I'm just looking for fault. But not had much trouble finding it.

Charlie let slip in a post much that Jack doesn't train during the week so maybe there's a fitness issue that they're working on.

I just don't get it with Gunston. He loses nearly every 1 on 1 and gets outrun every time you need to run.

Just because the team is winning mightn't be anything to do with him.

I understand he won't get dropped and one day he'll kick 4 or 5 which will seal his spot till the finals but unless a different Gunston turns up to the one I've seen, which is always a possibility if he's carrying something ,then be exploited he will be when the real pressure's on. He was soundly beaten by the two guys who played on him Saturday. I respect what you say but would love to see Rayner or Ah Chee play the third tall . Or Fort for some aerial dominance. Fullarton I'm not sold on till he performs at Senior level but even prepared to give him a go.

I wouldn’t mind the idea of Ah Chee but depending on the size of the opposition defence he could easily be out marked on a 1on1.

I just rewatched the game and only saw Gunston lose a single 1on1. He never outright won one but he always brought the ball to ground otherwise. He tops the club for marks on the lead which also means that he’s beaten his opponent to the point of not needing to win a 1on1. He also has been top goal scorer for us in two of the games this year and didn’t even play in our highest scoring game of the year against North.

His leading creates space for our other forward as well and not sure why we’d go with Fort who would just be a stationary body in comparison would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But I'm biased. I thought getting him was a backward step ,two Hawthorn tragic acqaintences of mine told me he was gone last year and now I'm copping the I toldya's.

Charlie let slip in a post much that Jack doesn't train during the week so maybe there's a fitness issue that they're working on.
Wouldn't surprise me if he has a back injury - he has history and his movement and flexibility looks seriously compromised.

I wouldn’t mind the idea of Ah Chee but depending on the size of the opposition defence he could easily be out marked on a 1on1.

I just rewatched the game and only saw Gunston lose a single 1on1. He never outright won one but he always brought the ball to ground otherwise. He tops the club for marks on the lead which also means that he’s beaten his opponent to the point of not needing to win a 1on1. He also has been top goal scorer for us in two of the games this year and didn’t even play in our highest scoring game of the year against North.

His leading creates space for our other forward as well and not sure why we’d go with Fort who would just be a stationary body in comparison would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I accept all that but Ah Chee is a much better high mark than Gunston and gets a long way off the ground.

If Fort and Gunston set off in a sprint on anything I've seen this year I'd back Fort. Wouldn't be much in it.

It's not that hard to find someone to bring the ball to ground , Ah Chee would do that better than Jack if that was his brief , likewise leading patterns and taking the opposition away from the contest ,yeah ,whatever , but it's really just an excuse for not having much impact. The opposition isn't going to be too worried with Gunston leading wide whereas someone like Rayner would be a different proposition.

Went through the same thing with McStay having no impact but all the reasons in the world why he was valuable and he did more than Jack has . And at least he could run when he put his mind to it and a great kick up the ground.

I don't understand that - he kicked 32 in 16 games and was easily their best forward. Made perfect sense in terms of a cheap replacement for McStay.

I've been underwhelmed so far but I'm not seeing him losing nearly every 1 on 1, and I can remember quite a few that he has won.

For mine I know what Fort is and apart from against the dees I'm keeping Joe as the second ruck, so I can't see value in picking him. Just gotta hope Gunston can turn it on a few times in big matches I think.

I don't understand that - he kicked 32 in 16 games and was easily their best forward. Made perfect sense in terms of a cheap replacement for McStay.

I've been underwhelmed so far but I'm not seeing him losing nearly every 1 on 1, and I can remember quite a few that he has won.

For mine I know what Fort is and apart from against the dees I'm keeping Joe as the second ruck, so I can't see value in picking him. Just gotta hope Gunston can turn it on a few times in big matches I think.
I'm hoping too but he can't run. If you look at Hawthorn's forwards he was the only one you would kick it to and think he might kick a goal.

I've been too burnt thinking guys who don't go all that well in humdrum games are going to just turn it on in big games .Especially near the end.

Likewise don't get why Fort is so underrated. He's never let us down wherever he's played whenever he's been selected.

I'm done on this , said too much already and not going to convince anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back