Preview Round 9, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon Bombers, Saturday 13th May, 7:25. Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh my. From 1-2 to 6-2 … in the blink of an eye.

We overcame a little test on Friday night, even if the narrative will be about Carlton underperforming. As a Melbourne based supporter, I have seen my fair share of primetime flops. So it was a really solid win on a Friday night, enriched by the disdain of Blues’ supporters.

We started the match with great intent. Carlton fought back in the first quarter to make it a high scoring one. In the second, things were much tighter and we failed to capitalise on territory with some disappointing misses. But in the third, we were able to use Charlie deeper, piling on five goals to none that set up a great win. Although we didn’t close things out, the game was largely in control.

What’s Hot

Charlie Cameron: There's no unique insight here. Charlie is kicking lots of goals right now (26 for the season). It seems for Brisbane, our best way to avoid inaccurate goal kicking is to get it to Charlie within 15m of the goal line.

1683505442523.png

Josh Dunkley: Goodness gracious, what a superstar performance (33 disposals, 13 tackles). His presence when the ball was in contest was huge (!). And to go have such an impact in his close out role. Another bonus with Dunkley is his overhead marking, which we used as a bail out more than once.

Andrews and Payne: This was a premier defensive performance against the premier tall forward line in the league. Before the game, we felt if we could keep McKay and Curnow to less than half a dozen goals we should be able to kick a winning score - and the key backs delivered. We all know how Payne has been building. Many forgot how well his kicking performed in the combine; he just needed more experience to improve his decision making. Both players were very noticeable at the game.

Honourable mentions; Bailey (with four goals) and McCluggage (27 touches) both had a few more elite moments. It’s been a slow ‘build’, but things are getting better each week.

Growth Areas

Brain fades: Yet again, we let what was a comfortable win become a little tense. We’ve seen this with Melbourne this year (and games like Richmond and Carlton last) where we can have huge leads run down. A win’s still a win, but I don’t want opposition to have belief late in clutch games.

Aerial work: With the exception of Payne and Andrews, live at the game it felt like we were beaten in the air many times going forward. I don’t have any stats to back this up. Danniher and Hipwood seemed solid, but I would sleep easier if we could clunk a few more contested marks.

Follow up, follow up, follow up: Our defensive pressure and ability to break up handball chains was great. However a few times we’d done really well to half the contest when they were building through the middle, only to let them out easily again (exposing our backline).

Opposition Watch

And on to Essendon now, who we will meet for the first time with their new coach: old mate Brad Scott.

1683505492895.png

After a poor season last year, Essendon have the luxury of playing with little to lose. Scott seems to have focused on the defence, with turnovers less costly than they were last year. The midfield seems to have better structure and cohesion, buoyed by Stringer who is fit and the newly added Setterfield. Draper and Phillips (created from the DNA of Francis before he left) have formed a strong ruck combination, both able to drift forward and cover the loss of Wright.

Essendon made a good start winning three of their first four (albeit over Gold Coast, GWS and Hawthorn), followed by a big win against Melbourne. Since then though, they have had honourable ANZAC day loss, were exposed early against Geelong (before fighting back to stay with them) and close loss to Port.

Recent and/or memorable* match ups against the bombers

* As defined by what I remember.

Lions 13.12 (90) vs Bombers 15.10 (100) | 10th Jul 22 | Gabba

The second time we played last year, we knew Essendon were pretty shizen. But we were decimated by Coronavrius and injury and had to make upteen changes. The frustrating thing was that our midfield was not that impacted, and yet we were totally smashed in the middle. They had a bunch of easy centre clearance wins that resulted in goals. The highlight was Michael Carter’s goal.

Bombers 10.15 (75) vs Lions 15.7 (97) | 26th Mar 22 | Marvel

The first time we played last year, expectations were high of Essendon and we didn’t yet know they were shizen. In retrospect it looked like an ‘easier’ win. They were good in the first and didn’t take their chances. We fought back in the second but then my 4yo had a melt down and I was pretty distracted. Luckily, my wife took him home and the lions got a four goal win.

Bombers 17.10 (112) vs Lions 9.11 (65) | 13th Apr 19 | MCG

We had started the season so well (3-0) and we headed to the ‘G with a sense of wonderment and excitement. Then McDonald-Tipungwuti kicks 7 and it was an utter shellacking. (We lost to Collingwood the next week before having a great run home).

Bombers 12.14 (86) vs Lions 14.12 (96) | 18th May 13 | Colonial Stadium

I know this was a while ago but I was getting used to seeing the Lions lose in Melbourne and then we pulled out this unexpected win. Zorko stars and Brent Staker makes his comeback, scoring the winning goal.

Bombers 12.10 (82) vs Lions 15.18 (108) | 29 Sep 01 | MCG

It was a grand final baby! We faffed around in the first half, but played a premiership quarter in the third. 🏆

What to expect

As always we don’t expect huge changes after a win. Fagan obviously wanted Harry Sharp’s running on Friday. He made some large errors early but got better as the game went on. Answerth had great attack in defence (at both ends) but his disposal is still iffy. Lyons may be closing to starting in the 22 and having another player as the sub (and then getting a bunch of the ball Saturday morning). Lester has looked settled in the battle for the third tall (with Joyce and Gardiner). Matho and Fort were big again in the 2s, Lohmann had impact and Dev is always pushing for selection. Tunstill and Prior were a bit quiet.

With Zorko and Rich still a few weeks away, my prediction is Robertson for Sharp. But I have no idea. 🤷

I think we will win. I really do. Putting aside that strange one last year, we’ve had the wood on Essendon during our strong period and I see no change.

Lions by 27.

Great preview!

I think with teams like Essendon even if they jump us they aren’t experienced enough to keep good teams at arms length across four quarters.

Looking forward to Saturday night.

Great preview WheildonTheAxe.
Hopefully a big crowd get to the game Saturday evening.
Essendon have had a solid start to the year sitting just a 1/2 a game out of the 8 and have a big following.
We are equal 2nd and need to stay in that position at least for the next 2 weeks of home games.
A crowd number somewhere between the Demons 30,047 and the Pies 33,565.
Broncos play away on a Thursday so that may help also.

I am glad Brad Scott got the gig at the Bombers but for a different reason than people may think.
We he coached North and his brother was at Geelong i initially got confused as to who was where.
I then remembered by thinking Chris coaches at the Cats. The other twin coaches North.
Now i can add Brad is a Bombers coach.
Anything to help my fading memory.

Hopefully they ignore Zorko's "I’ll be putting my hand up for selection this week,” comment like they did last time.

Zorko is listed at 2-3 weeks on the injury list but has put his hand up to play this weekend.

“I’m going really, really well. Fingers crossed the strength and conditioning staff are listening to this conversation because I’ll be putting my hand up for selection this week,” he said.

“I had a really good week on the track. Started a bit slow, but since then we knew it was going to be an injury that recovers really quickly and I’ve done everything right over the weekend and got through a mountain of work on Saturday morning.

“We’ll go all systems ahead as if I’m playing this weekend. Clearly any setbacks or niggles will stamp that out, but for me, I’ll be preparing to play.”

Zorko putting his hand up for this week.

Might have to be held back? Not taking the bombers lightly but i think the Suns looms as the harder match-up.

Bombers played Sunday and back to back travel which Vic clubs not used to. Very hard run for them: Melbourne / Essendon / Geelong / Port away / Lions away...

What has been noted by others and in the media and is so great to see finally is, forward pressure. The amount of times over the years where teams would just easily take it out was mind numbing. Watched the Port game yesterday for most of it and they just waltzed it out of the middle yesterday. Oscar will have to have a big day IMO in at least nullifying their rucks. I want this one because of last year, sucked being there as they kicked our depleted ass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has been noted by others and in the media and is so great to see finally is, forward pressure. The amount of times over the years where teams would just easily take it out was mind numbing. Watched the Port game yesterday for most of it and they just waltzed it out of the middle yesterday. Oscar will have to have a big day IMO in at least nullifying their rucks. I want this one because of last year, sucked being there as they kicked our depleted ass.
Pretty much killed our top 4 chance last year.
That and the Melbourne game in the last round.

Ridley out with concussion so that hurts their defense.
Already missing is 2022 B&F winner Wright, Guelfi 3rd & Laverde 6th in the B&F.
A 6-day break for Essendon returning from a close interstate loss.
Lions return from a win in Melbourne and have an 8-day break.

I think the Carlton game blew away the notion that we need Zorko in order to maintain elite pressure for long enough

Would still be handy but we've just about moved passed him IMO
7NvC.gif

I doubt we go 2 rucks no need to really.
Draper & Phillips make Essendon a bit slow even though both were applauded in their early wins this year.
Oscar will need to be at his best particularly with Draper playing some good footy, he’s is one that’s hard to stop when he is on.
But I will back Oscar in.

One swallow does not a summer make.
Yep, I would be hoping we don't play Zorks this Saturday night, we need to be ultra cautious with injuries to the older players... but a fit Zorko is a massive plus for our side, ups the pressure we saw v the Blues to an even higher level, not to mention the energy and class with ball in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back