Preview Round 10, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 20th May, 7:30. Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really makes me wonder what goes on in the selection committee meetings? Sitting around playing tiddly winks with the pet magnets already up on the board? Do they even listen to the sage advice of the fans? Doesnt sound like it. Smarten up selectors. No fans, no club!

It's like they don't even consult BigFooty before selecting the team. Pfffftttt.

They need to take a page out of Jon Ralph's or Tom Browne's book. Big Footy is your first go to!!!!!!!

It's like they don't even consult BigFooty before selecting the team. Pfffftttt.

They need to take a page out of Jon Ralph's or Tom Browne's book. Big Footy is your first go to!!!!!!!

How dare they not treat BF's opinions as their guiding light.

Lions selectors making a mockery of democracy again

I don't mind players getting an extended run. I don't think we see the best of them if it's only one week in & one week out.

What would you have preferred Irish?
I'm not saying what I'd prefer but here's one thing I notice.

When we play someone who's not quite up to it the first week we say well he made a few mistakes but what do you expect. The second week he doesn't make as many and sort of fits in. The third week on is where you start to see if they can hold their spot.

I think this week is a good opportunity for Harry ,at the Gabba in a match which will be competitive but we should win.

Disposals, mainly field kicking is an area where Harry needs improvement.

But gee, the boy really can run like the wind......... and both ways.

We've been crying out for two way runners

Worth persevering with , at least for another game or two
God I hope we dont take him to Adelaide- we possibly can hide him playing against the Suns, but surely we dont expose against the Crows on there deck.

God I hope we dont take him to Adelaide- we possibly can hide him playing against the Suns, but surely we dont expose against the Crows on there deck.

So are you saying that we are "hiding" him against the Suns????

Seriously, why do you think that the selection committee would pick a player they are trying to hide in the first place?

I'm not saying what I'd prefer but here's one thing I notice.

When we play someone who's not quite up to it the first week we say well he made a few mistakes but what do you expect. The second week he doesn't make as many and sort of fits in. The third week on is where you start to see if they can hold their spot.

I think this week is a good opportunity for Harry ,at the Gabba in a match which will be competitive but we should win.

I think this is a massive risk game.

Suns are good. If they get their head right we will need to bring our best to beat them. If we don't, my mate could go home happy instead of me.

So are you saying that we are "hiding" him against the Suns????

Seriously, why do you think that the selection committee would pick a player they are trying to hide in the first place?
Poor choice of words on my part - personally I just dont see it with Harry, never had even at many reserves games ive seen in the flesh. I thought he was so far out of his depth against Carlton it wasnt funny and whilst he was a tad better last week, his disposal is pretty poor. Lets see if he can impact the game this week, feel like hes the weakest link in the team and i think he ll get exposed versus the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disposals, mainly field kicking is an area where Harry needs improvement.

But gee, the boy really can run like the wind......... and both ways.

We've been crying out for two way runners

Worth persevering with , at least for another game or two
its not often you get to draft someone as athletically gifted as sharp

could be a very serious weapon for us if he blossoms into the player the coaches think he can become

Poor choice of words on my part - personally I just dont see it with Harry, never had even at many reserves games ive seen in the flesh. I thought he was so far out of his depth against Carlton it wasnt funny and whilst he was a tad better last week, his disposal is pretty poor. Lets see if he can impact the game this week, feel like hes the weakest link in the team and i think he ll get exposed versus the Crows.

Role playing and "impact" are two totally different things.

If he has a poor game this week, he won't see the light of day against Adelaide.

Let's see how he goes this week before we decide how he'll get "exposed" next week

Suns would be pleased Lyons isn’t in.

On team selection, we have the healthiest list in the AFL and we are winning games. The majority of our team picks itself and we have about 2 or three spots where we have multiple highly credentialed and capable players to choose from. Under those circumstances what Fagan is doing now makes perfect sense. At some point, expect Fullerton to get a run in the seniors and don’t be shocked to see Tunstill or Lohmann out there with the seniors before too long. I have changed my view on this, because from a list management perspective, Fagan is seeing what players have got before we have to make the inevitable decisions about contracts, delistings and draft choices. Naturally, because we are passionate supporters and we get attached to players, we all develop OUR pets and whipping boys and we feel for players who are not getting a regular run in the Seniors. Questioning selection is a part of what supporters do, always has been. There are probably those who maintain that Cain wouldn’t have slew Abel if God had given him a regular game in the forward line.

Bottom line is that footballers who are smart will realise that they are part of a club that is getting set for a solid tilt at a Premiership this year and with every reason to be upbeat about the next five years. We have the players to cover injury and if people put the club first, like Ryan Lester has, they will get their chance. If not, they can leave on good terms and nobody will begrudge them that.

Suns would be pleased Lyons isn’t in.

On team selection, we have the healthiest list in the AFL and we are winning games. The majority of our team picks itself and we have about 2 or three spots where we have multiple highly credentialed and capable players to choose from. Under those circumstances what Fagan is doing now makes perfect sense. At some point, expect Fullerton to get a run in the seniors and don’t be shocked to see Tunstill or Lohmann out there with the seniors before too long. I have changed my view on this, because from a list management perspective, Fagan is seeing what players have got before we have to make the inevitable decisions about contracts, delistings and draft choices. Naturally, because we are passionate supporters and we get attached to players, we all develop OUR pets and whipping boys and we feel for players who are not getting a regular run in the Seniors. Questioning selection is a part of what supporters do, always has been. There are probably those who maintain that Cain wouldn’t have slew Abel if God had given him a regular game in the forward line.

Bottom line is that footballers who are smart will realise that they are part of a club that is getting set for a solid tilt at a Premiership this year and with every reason to be upbeat about the next five years. We have the players to cover injury and if people put the club first, like Ryan Lester has, they will get their chance. If not, they can leave on good terms and nobody will begrudge them that.
That was an awfully balanced and reasonable post there ... did someone hack your account? ;)

I also like it when they get a chance to play 3-5 games in a row not just in for a game (or a quarter) and out again without having time to adjust!

Lions team pics for this weekend >
large-collection-of-dogs-in-different-position.jpg

Who will Fullerton take over from? He's no Joe or Whipwood and he's not the type we need to replace Gunston.

HIMO he will just get in the way of our two key forwards. Maybe Whipwood or Joe will need a rest and he can play a game in their stead.

Why do we have to have the exact same players playing the exact same roles each week?

We do occasionally change our structure. We had Rayner as a third tall defender earlier in the season, played Fort for Gunston one week, played 2 rucks plus the 3 key forwards one week as well

It's not Gunston is the same forward McStay was. Another genuine tall forward could work, especially when Joe rucks

Forget Adelaide, I think the Suns will make us pay if we give them the footy.
I still think we bang it on the boot to quickly , last week was very bad .
I get it , what do you do in conjestion , handball it to someone else that could get tackled or caught or bang it on the boot.
I personaly would prefer a handball to someone close and that player should be able to find another player in more open space, (Should).
So what , take the tackle , reset.
Should have a more controlled style imo. rather than a lucky dip kick.

BRISBANE LIONS v GOLD COAST SUNS

Saturday May 20, 7:30pm at The Gabba

Lion’s burning question: Is Joe Daniher on his way to another All-Australian blazer?

Joe Daniher’s form has him firmly in the conversation of one of the best key forwards in the game this season. The spearhead currently sits sixth in the Coleman Medal race with 24.13 to his name; just a couple shy of the number he was at the same point in the season the last time he was All-Australian in 2017, where he had kicked 26.18 after nine rounds on his way to 65.39 for the season. With goals in all but one game so far this season and with the Lions connection across the ground firing and coming into a dynamic forward line, Daniher will be looking to once again overawe the Suns pair Sam Collins and Charlie Ballard and continue his hot run of form.
Joe Daniher’s form has him firmly in the conversation of one of the best key forwards in the game this season. The spearhead currently sits sixth in the Coleman Medal race with 24.13 to his name; just a couple shy of the number he was at the same point in the season the last time he was All-Australian in 2017, where he had kicked 26.18 after nine rounds on his way to 65.39 for the season. With goals in all but one game so far this season and with the Lions connection across the ground firing and coming into a dynamic forward line, Daniher will be looking to once again overawe the Suns pair Sam Collins and Charlie Ballard and continue his hot run of form.

Suns’ burning question: Is this the Suns’ best chance to break the drought?

The Suns have lost the previous eight QClashes but arrive at the Gabba better placed than they’ve ever been to break the drought over their Queensland rivals. Having won three of the past four matches - their only loss by under a goals to Melbourne and with all their key leaders in form - they appear as likely as they’ve ever been to get one back on the star-studded Lions. Midfield duo Matt Rowell, who is returning to his contested best and adding layers to his game each week, and his best mate Noah Anderson - who Fox Footy’s David King believes is on track to becoming one of the best midfielders in the competition - are stepping up big time in the absence of co-captain Touk Miller. Ben King has built into the season off his ACL injury to be the strong focal point up forward, and defensive posts Sam Collins and Charlie Ballard are keeping their direct opponents in check most weeks. While they face a highly fancied opposition on a big winning run, the opportunity for the Suns to give the best account of themselves in this fixture for some time is there, with a win at the end of it now a realistic proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back