Preview Finals Week 1 • Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide • Saturday 9 September 2023 • 7:25 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane v Port Adelaide at the Gabba, 7.25pm AEST

BRISBANE

In:
L.McCarthy
Out: J.Lyons (omitted), K.Lohmann (sub)

R24 sub: Kai Lohmann

EMER: Lohmann, Lyons, Gardiner, Fort

PORT ADELAIDE

In:
T.McKenzie, T.Marshall, S.Lycett
Out: S.Hayes (omitted), F.Evans (omitted), T.Boak (omitted), T.Jonas (calf)

R24 sub: Dylan Williams

Last edited:

Brisbane v Port Adelaide at the Gabba, 7.25pm AEST

BRISBANE

In:
L.McCarthy
Out: J.Lyons (omitted), K.Lohmann (sub)

R24 sub: Kai Lohmann

EMER: Lohmann, Lyons, Gardiner, Fort

PORT ADELAIDE

In:
T.McKenzie, T.Marshall, S.Lycett
Out: S.Hayes (omitted), F.Evans (omitted), T.Boak (omitted), T.Jonas (calf)

R24 sub: Dylan Williams
In my opinion Lyons will be the sub....I dont see any value in Kai being the sub in this game over JL.

In my opinion Lyons will be the sub....I dont see any value in Kai being the sub in this game over JL.
Agree that would be the best option. Lyons can offer the most impact when he comes on. I'd personally prefer subs with a bit more positional flexibility, but there is probably enough in the team to cover that if push comes to shove.

don-king-portrait-2-213x300.jpg
GettyImages-105267705w.jpg

Getting less and less confident the closer we get to the game

Huge amount of pressure on Neale, Dunkley and Clug
IMO those 3 will thrive under the pressure.

We have been building to this game since the 2019 finals, we will show a steely resolve this finals series honed by the experience and disappointment of the the last 4 finals campaigns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO those 3 will thrive under the pressure.

We have been building to this game since the 2019 finals, we will show a steely resolve this finals series honed by the experience and disappointment of the the last 4 finals campaigns.

Agreed. Was watching highlights of 2019 finals series (what else are you gonna do during a week off) and noticed how young and green we seemed - kind of a "happy to be here" energy. While that energy can sometimes take you all the way, the 2023 version of the Lions seems much more mature and battle hardened for a serious flag tilt.

We should be OK Nathan. You are right that we are depending on our midfield, but we have players to step in there, including Lyons who should be sub. Zorko’s return to fitness is a super bonus for us and I’d expect him to get midfield minutes, along with Lincoln McCarthy whose tackling ability could see him playing the defensive midfield role when he bobs up in rotations. Dev Robertson adds defensive grunt in the middle too. Bailey is one who worries me a bit when he moves into the midfield, because he tends to get brushed off.

The only worries I have revolve around how we go in defence. Payne seems to have go back into his shell a bit and while he looks good in the air, his ground ball work has started to look a bit shaky. I’m sure he will bounce back. It seems that Starcevich, McKenna, Payne, and Wilmot, to a lesser extent, all have moments of poor judgement in games, usually resulting in goals. We can’t afford for that to happen in finals.

The two players I would be looking towards for a “lift” tonight are Rayner and Berry. When Berry plays to his potential, he is awesome and we all know what Cam Rayner can do in bursts. If he could do it consistently he could help break the game and Finals Series open for us.

Last edited:

I'm the opposite: feeling more confident. This team has belief, is healthy and absolutely primed for finals.

We should be OK Nathan. You are right that we are depending on our midfield, but we have players to step in there, including Lyons who should be sub. Zorko’s return to fitness is a super bonus for us and I’d expect him to get midfield minutes, along with Lincoln McCarthy whose tackling ability could see him playing the defensive midfield role when he bobs up in rotations. Dev Robertson adds defensive grunt in the middle too. Bailey is one who worries me a bit when he moves into the midfield, because he tends to get brushed off.

The only worries I have revolve around how we go in defence. Payne seems to have go back into his shell a bit and while he looks good in the air, his ground ball work has started to look a bit shaky. I’m sure he will bounce back. It seems that Starcevich, McKenna, Payne, and Wilmot, to a lesser extent, all have moments of poor judgement in games, usually resulting in goals. We can’t afford for that to happen in finals.

The three players I would be looking towards for a “lift” tonight are Rayner and Berry. When Berry plays to his potential, he is awesome and we all know what Cam Rayner can do in bursts. If he could do it consistently he could help break the game and Finals Series open for us.
I'm hopeful the couple of weeks off have helped Payne get over the ankle niggle he appeared to be carrying for the last part of the season and we see him back to his form from the first half of the year.

Their mids scare the hell out of me, as I've said previously they're everything our mids aren't - explosive/athletic etc. If we can handle them in there though, we should have more than enough firepower up front to kick a score against their defence. As Nathan Barley said, there is huge pressure on our midfielders tomorrow night. If they stand up we will be fine.

On another note hasn't these last 2 weeks been a drag? Can't wait for tomorrow night! These next 36 hours will feel the longest though!

I'm hopeful the couple of weeks off have helped Payne get over the ankle niggle he appeared to be carrying for the last part of the season and we see him back to his form from the first half of the year.

Their mids scare the hell out of me, as I've said previously they're everything our mids aren't - explosive/athletic etc. If we can handle them in there though, we should have more than enough firepower up front to kick a score against their defence. As Nathan Barley said, there is huge pressure on our midfielders tomorrow night. If they stand up we will be fine.

On another note hasn't these last 2 weeks been a drag? Can't wait for tomorrow night! These next 36 hours will feel the longest though!
I agree about their midfielders Squizz89, which is why we only want hard tacklers in the middle.
The other thing that people tend not to mention when they talk about the need to win midfield and general clearances is the importance of Oscar McInerney. We really need Oscar to fire up big time. He does come in for some criticism from time to time does our Oscar, but his numbers look excellent in terms of clearances. He is right up there with some of our more celebrated midfielders.

IMG_6649.png

IMG_6650.png

I'm the opposite: feeling more confident. This team has belief, is healthy and absolutely primed for finals.
Agree.

The preparation coming into this finals series couldn't be better & with two finals at The Gabba along with argueably the best team available ready to run out Saturday night, the stage is set. I also feel good in the fact we have real experience this finals series and most of our list have played finals, only 4 have played under 50 games & we are still young in terms of age.

Keeping it simple, we execute our game plan & we win.

Agree.

The preparation coming into this finals series couldn't be better & with two finals at The Gabba along with argueably the best team available ready to run out Saturday night, the stage is set. I also feel good in the fact we have real experience this finals series and most of our list have played finals, only 4 have played under 50 games & we are still young in terms of age.

Keeping it simple, we execute our game plan & we win.
Spot on. The stability of our team is an important factor. We are going in with our absolute best 22 and having Lyons as our likely SUB adds that extra dose of strength and experience. When you look at our team, there is a perfect blend of youth, experience, running capacity, tackling ability, marking power and flair. More importantly, every member of this side have earned their place. You just look at our line up and it makes sense.

IMG_6651.png
IMG_6652.png
P.S. - That forward line looks absolutely fantastic. Port Adelaide and whoever else we play in this finals series would be deeply worried about how they are going to stop us from blasting them off the park with a forward line like that.

Last edited:
It certainly seems like there’s been a change in the public persona from Fages, the last 2 weeks in particular.

Personally, I like it. All good teams have confidence about them. Now go and back it up.
Leigh Matthews on The Front Bar this week was asked are you the best player of all time, he said Wayne Carey was the best player he has seen.... he then went on to say yer I am probably the best.

SUB - should be Fort in my view. Port have an extra tall compared to us. If Oscar goes down it would be a disaster having Lycett back. Honestly no idea what we would actually do. If we are getting beaten in the middle in this game i don't think Lyons would help that much - Port's weapon in there being speed

MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER - DUNKLEY - He has been a bit down on output recently. Break might have helped him freshen up as he does a lot of grunt work. He will be pivotal in making sure above all else Port don't get the easy centre clearances they got in round 1. If he can grab 5 clearances of his own in the process that would be great.

PLAYER I HOPE HAD HEALING CRYSTALS - JACK PAYNE - he was just phenomenal earlier in the season. Looked increasingly hobbled by the ankle. Did he just look a little bit better against the saints or was i imagining that? Suspect he will get Marshall who is a smooth-mover and good on the lead, and their best kick at goal. So it's crucial Payne is good to go. If we win him playing 1 game since round 24 should really have him primed for the last 2 weeks

THE PLAYER WE NEED AN ACTUAL PLAN FOR - ALIIR ALIIR - Midfield battle is what it is. But figuring out a plan for Aliir, and pulling it off, would mean we should be kicking a score. It's all the more important given we are down to 2 talls. Aliir loves freedom to fly for his marks. Agree with some others that we need someone really bodying him so he can't do that in an ideal world, although i am not sure who. Rayner? I want him free to attack and create. Maybe Hippy can defy his body shape and do a bit of it. If Aliir goes to Hipwood i'd be telling him to try to drag him up the ground a bit, then sprint back and get free out the back. Has the tank and pace to do it.

WILL BE A GOOD NIGHT IF - we get a good start. I really think confidence could flow from that and Port could be intimidated by a big one sided crowd

WILL BE A BAD NIGHT IF - Port are getting clean clearances. No side can defend that. Also wary of the kicking pandemic that spread through the team last week - the groans once we started missing. Very infectious!

Feeling confident ish now, but no doubt by the time the game starts i will having a bit of an insurance bet on port ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back