Opinion Brownlow Medal 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who doesn't like Bruce needs to lighten the **** up

The only thing that stopped an adoring Bruce from lovingly and extendedly ? Embracing Dusty was a fear of rejection in the form of a stiff forearm fend off.
Bruce is deeply enamoured with all things Richmond.

Things we learned from the Brownlow
  • Disposals mean everything, even if you do nothing with them and don't hurt the opposition. See Mitchell, T.
  • Footballers should never do comedy skits or read autocues. Never.
  • Bruce McAvaney should realise the whole "is he gay?" schtick has now moved on to be more like a creepy primary school bus driver.
  • Fan-voted awards are s**t popularity contests. See Daniher, J.
  • For Rounds 13-23, it's almost pointless reading out the votes for clubs whose players aren't going to bother the podium, because Gilligan's voice just sounds like the fine print at the end of a bank ad.
  • Watching half-cut footballers pull faces at the camera whenever they get a vote gets really old after about 45 minutes.
  • Jack Hombsch might play for Port Power FC, but he's a quality bloke.
  • The fact that Matt Crouch will poll more votes next year because "the umpires will know him now" shows how much of a crock of s**t the Brownlow can be.
  • I've now seen complete despair, and it's Tex Walker and Dusty Martin drinking water in Grand Final week.
  • Apart from nailing his "I've just died so I'll lie here for a while" signature move, Patrick Dangerfield isn't good at acting.
  • Jeremy Howe isn't either.
  • But Ken Hinkley is.
159550484449e4c96a448ac34b2cc5fb

But the main thing:
  • Based on their spread of votes - and ours, I think they need to be more worried about shutting down our stars than we do.

Last edited:
Based on their spread of votes - and ours, I think they need to be more worried about shutting down our stars than we do.

A quick analysis:
Adelaide polled 88 votes vs Richmond 78
14 Adelaide players polled, vs Richmond's 10
Average votes per player: Adelaide 6.3, Richmond 7.8
Exclude Sloane and Martin, and average votes per player becomes 5.2 for Adelaide, 4.7 for Richmond

And of course, there's a graph:

Brownlow Medal 2017 Graph.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quick analysis:
Adelaide polled 88 votes vs Richmond 78
14 Adelaide players polled, vs Richmond's 10
Average votes per player: Adelaide 6.3, Richmond 7.8
Exclude Sloane and Martin, and average votes per player becomes 5.2 for Adelaide, 4.7 for Richmond

And of course, there's a graph:

View attachment 420818

Nice analysis. You're already over-qualified for the AFL Media.

Here's another stat.

Martin represented 46% of Richmond's votes.
Sloane represented 23% of ours.

Tag Rory! Tag Rory!

Was it just me or did anyone else get the feeling Bruce is past his used by date for such a job and starting to really give off a "Creepy Uncle" vibe?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Channel 7 are really struggling for AFL commentators.

Commetti has retired & Basil just isn't a patch.
Bruce needs to start phasing out as he is not what he was.
The CEO' brother is passable but not a #1 commentator.
Did I mention Basil Fawlty just needs to bigger off as is terrible with all his prepared "comedy".
Taylor is OK, but should just tone down his "package", etc as better when he doesn't go over the top.
Ling is terrible & must go.

They need to find some decent commentators. Jason Bennett would be a good start as he did a few games & is actually a quality caller.

Ps. Someone like Whately should be hosting the Brownlow.

Matt Crouch highlighting the usual Brownlow flaw.

Unless you’re an established player or have a significant media profile, you’re no chance.
Imagine if Bontempelli or Pendlebury have good seasons next year. They'll both set new records based on how many they got this year.

Channel 7 are really struggling for AFL commentators.

Commetti has retired & Basil just isn't a patch.
Bruce needs to start phasing out as he is not what he was.
The CEO' brother is passable but not a #1 commentator.
Did I mention Basil Fawlty just needs to bigger off as is terrible with all his prepared "comedy".
Taylor is OK, but should just tone down his "package", etc as better when he doesn't go over the top.
Ling is terrible & must go.

They need to find some decent commentators. Jason Bennett would be a good start as he did a few games & is actually a quality caller.

Ps. Someone like Whately should be hosting the Brownlow.
Half the problem is their obsession with having "personalities" over commentators. Adam Papalia is a great commentator, but not a personality, so he gets relegated by Fox to a single game each week. This is where they made the mistake pairing up Bruce and BT, because they're both these over the top, totally excitable play callers and it just feels like you're being yelled at for 2 hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back