Strategy Crows 2023 Forwards vs 2017 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of the forward line I think Tex coming to the end is biggest concern.

If we were a genuine contender it wouldn't matter but with such a young side it feels like we are not really setting anything up until he moves on.

In terms of the forward line I think Tex coming to the end is biggest concern.

If we were a genuine contender it wouldn't matter but with such a young side it feels like we are not really setting anything up until he moves on.
Tex is an interesting case study, because if you look at his stats over the last 3 years he's seemingly getting better rather then dropping off. In fact his last 2 seasons have showed improvement in almost every category. So i'm certainly not predicting he's about to drop off due to age, because his play simply hasn't shown any indication of it.... Yet.

Keep in mind he's 2 years younger the Tom Hawkins who is still playing at his peak as well.

If he plays 20 games or more, then i'm predicting a 50+ goal season for Tex.

I think its a bit harsh on the 2017 FWD line to call it a weakness.

Scored 110 points per game, 2 goals more then any other team that year, and a average score higher then any team since, and any team in the 5 years prior with exception of the Hawthorn teams that won the threepeat.

It might not have been a contested unit, but if its primary job is converting play into scoreboard impact. It was pretty much the gold standard
I’ll rephrase it to big game weakness

And it wasn’t just the forward line fault but alot to do with the method

We were the highest scoring team from D50 for a couple of years but that type of football while very attractive isn’t really sustainable when the pressure goes up

Tex is an interesting case study, because if you look at his stats over the last 3 years he's seemingly getting better rather then dropping off. In fact his last 2 seasons have showed improvement in almost every category. So i'm certainly not predicting he's about to drop off due to age, because his play simply hasn't shown any indication of it.... Yet.

Keep in mind he's 2 years younger the Tom Hawkins who is still playing at his peak as well.

He could easily have 2 good years in him

By then Thilthorpe be coming into the start of his prime

Your right and as I said if we were at the top of the ladder it wouldn't be an issue but I suspect we will have to see a big reworking of the forward line when he goes. It's one player but our best player.

He may have three more years, hard to judge.

I’ll rephrase it to big game weakness

And it wasn’t just the forward line fault but alot to do with the method

We were the highest scoring team from D50 for a couple of years but that type of football while very attractive isn’t really sustainable when the pressure goes up
It was exactly that football that got the winning goal against the Dogs in a final.

He could easily have 2 good years in him

By then Thilthorpe be coming into the start of his prime
TBH that's what I see. This year very good. Next year still better then most KPFs but with signs of slowing down. With 2025 being a wait and see.

The next year or 2 he starts going past some big names on the all time goal kickers list as well. Might be enough to motivate him to keep going on a personal level.

Tredrea, Gehrig, Maddern, Roughhead, Modra, Neitz, Fevola, Lynch maybe Eddie Betts all in his grasp if he plays 2 more seasons at this level.

It looked like a silly question back then, but maybe not so silly now. 2024 might look quite comparable to the forward line of 2023, yay or nay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back