Bruce MacAvaney openly barracking for Hawthorn in commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

His performance at the end of the '15 grand final in particular was seriously unprofessional. It made the final 15 minutes nigh on un-watchable.

Yes, maybe there's a bit of bias coming through on my behalf there, and I'm sure Hawks fans listening didn't mind it! But, to anyone else it crossed the line between measured admiration for what is undoubtedly a great team that achieved an amazing feat to downright fan boi guff.

Bruce was far better in the 90's but he still got a few one liner's in from time to time

eg: 1991 grand final "I don't know where Chris Lewis is, but he's certainly not at VFL Park" :D
That's actually, funny. Not manufactured, barracking garbage as is his norm today.

His performance at the end of the '15 grand final in particular was seriously unprofessional. It made the final 15 minutes nigh on un-watchable.

Yes, maybe there's a bit of bias coming through on my behalf there, and I'm sure Hawks fans listening didn't mind it! But, to anyone else it crossed the line between measured admiration for what is undoubtedly a great team that achieved an amazing feat to downright fan boi guff.

That's actually, funny. Not manufactured, barracking garbage as is his norm today.

It happens with any successful side though and I guess it's opposition fans not enjoying it as much as the supporters of the team that's being highlighted ?

I wanted to hurl with Tim Lane's gushing about Geelong's era.
But yet I loved it when the media were all about the Brisbane Lion's 01 - 04 run.

Again...what else was Bruce supposed to get excited about? it was a walk over...If West coast had of of come back he would of got wet over them.

Again...what else was Bruce supposed to get excited about? it was a walk over...If West coast had of of come back he would of got wet over them.
What else?

Who says he needs to get excited or waxing as much lyrical as he did at all?

It ceased to be commentary and more a verbal love dedication. It was rubbish commentary.

What else?

Who says he needs to get excited or waxing as much lyrical as he did at all?

It ceased to be commentary and more a verbal love dedication. It was rubbish commentary.

Maybe.....But he nailed the conclusion to the 2014 Grand final:

"And this great team, the best team of the modern era, produces it's masterpiece....They've never been better than this."

Gotta Louvre that.;)

Who says he doesn't? I quite enjoyed it...

U would be loving it if he was getting off over the Dons...
Probably.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned here but I just think a commentator should keep it in check a bit more than he did that day. It's a bit like Slater or Healy when commentating any game Australia are involved in.

Who says he doesn't? I quite enjoyed it...

U would be loving it if he was getting off over the Dons...

^funny that.

Funny also that the posters supporting Bruce are Hawks fans, and those thinking he needs to reel it are fans of the other clubs.

You're blind if you can't see how biased Bruce's commentary is.

The guy is an absolutely shithouse commentator these days and it's a myth that he 'used' to be good in the 90s or whatever, he's always been pretty rubbish.

He needs to stop poisoning the footy coverage and finally take up his lifelong dream job at Hawthorn as one this trainers that gets to rub down their players' quad muscles on the sidelines.

The guy is an absolutely shithouse commentator these days and it's a myth that he 'used' to be good in the 90s or whatever, he's always been pretty rubbish.

He needs to stop poisoning the footy coverage and finally take up his lifelong dream job at Hawthorn as one this trainers that gets to rub down their players' quad muscles on the sidelines.
I don't think it's a myth he was good in the 90s.

You only need to watch some games from them to see how different he was... but that said the entire commentary teams then were better.. they just called the game and didn't need to be 'entertaining'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Press red for Ed.

And yet Ed is very open about his bias, and created Press Red for Ed entirely for that purpose.

I would have no problem with Bruce if he came out and said "Im a Hawks fan, I will be biased"

And yet Ed is very open about his bias, and created Press Red for Ed entirely for that purpose.

I would have no problem with Bruce if he came out and said "Im a Hawks fan, I will be biased"
Did you catch Bruce when Geelong were winning?

You would swear on a stack of bibles he was a Geelong fan.

What was poor old Bruce mean't to do at the end of last years grand final? It was the Hawks 4th GF in a row, 3rd Flag in a row, 2nd Absolute flogging they had given a team in the GF in a row, Cyril was on fire. Hard to not heap praise on the Hawks. West Coast & Sydney in the last couple of GF's haven't given the commentary team anything to talk about.

What was poor old Bruce mean't to do at the end of last years grand final? It was the Hawks 4th GF in a row, 3rd Flag in a row, 2nd Absolute flogging they had given a team in the GF in a row, Cyril was on fire. Hard to not heap praise on the Hawks. West Coast & Sydney in the last couple of GF's haven't given the commentary team anything to talk about.
All very good points.

I have always liked Bruce, I like him more now he is a Hawk.

Phark offffff :rolleyes:

I listened to Brucey scream himself hoarse with multiple orgasms over Essendon for the best past of 15 YEARS… Close games, mind you… Two teams out there… and Ol' Bomber Brucey was calling the action like he was that Fogdog Flog from the #StandbyHird army

McAvaney was AWFUL from 1999 to 2001 when Essendon was kicking everyone's arses. He reminded me of a 12yo nerdboy reading stats from the AFL Record. You could actually hear him drooling as he peeled off the arcane facts & stats that would even embarrass the most one-eyed Bomber fanboy.

"Gee, he's a champion, Heffernan. Do you realise that Essendon have won EVERY game when Heff has racked up more than 26 disposals? He's the BAROMETER!! And now Barnard gets it, gives it off to Caracella… and it's another goal to the BOMBERS!!!! WOO-HOO!!! If they weren't already premiership favourites with the bookies, then they are TONIGHT!!!"

:rolleyes:

So what's your problem if Brucey wants to blow some smoke up the butts of the 3peat champions during a boring last quarter of a one-sided GF?? Big deal! No different to any one-sided GF from the past when the result was known before 3/4 time. What else is he gonna do for those 25 minutes? Bag the s**t out of West Coast players? Who does that ?!? (besides Robert Walls)

The funny thing is, over the last 6 or 7 years, Hawthorn has received WAY less of the gushing fanboy praise from TV commentators than Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney or West Coast, yet we've won more premierships than all of them. Geelong haven't won a final since 2011, yet Darcy and the boys still refer to them as the "reigning champs", etc…:D Collingwood enjoyed "flash in the pan" dominance in Mick's final 2 years, yet they were hyped up as an unbeatable super team. Constantly overrated and overhyped by the media for the past 4 years with Buckley.

If any team WAS entitled to be fawned over, it would be these 3peat Hawks. If anything, they haven't been singled out for enough praise. The last 30 minutes of the season doesn't really make up for the previous 6 months where they were underestimated by media and regarded as 2nd or 3rd favourites behind Freo and WCE (or Sydney in 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back