Bruce MacAvaney openly barracking for Hawthorn in commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy is now a total flog and it's not just him it's the entire Channel 7 commentary.

It's disgusting the way they call games by 1) stating the bloody obvious e.g like "wow did you see that" or "I think the Dockers need a goal right now! Don't you?" 2) over enthusiasm e.g "jeez what a cleaver little kick by poppy" or "Cyril jeez how good was that" every time he touches the ball and 3) the worst most unprofessional thing they do is how they announce players nick names instead of there actual names. e.g hodgy, roughy, poopy, buddy, dusty, Joshy, Goodesy the list goes on and on.. So bloody irritating not only does it make them look like a joke but the game as well, imagine people from overseas watching? They'll think what the bloody hell is this crap!
You'll never hear commentary like that in say the EPL or American sports.

It's this stupid idea that the directors at seven think the commentary needs to be entertainment first, sports broadcastering second, it's that reality television mentality. What they fail to understand is the game is suppose to be the entertainment not the commentary.

It's a f@cking boys club over at channel 7 and I'm bloody sick of it!
Only good thing is when BT tries to whip out a smart Alec comment or pay out to Richo, love how Richo shuts him down

I found a new game to make the GF more interesting. I answered every time he asked a question. Rioli he's good isn't he? Yes Bruce. How good are the Hawks? Very good Bruce. You just knew he would do something special there didn't you? Yes Bruce. Etc. I recommend it.

I've been doing that for a long time, too.

Only difference is I try to comment before Bruce does: "...oh, isn't he marvellous?", I ask, every time Hodge is near the ball. Bruce then says something about how good Hodge is.

"Here's Cyril!" then Bruce says something weird about Rioli.

When Hodge belted Swallow, I asked, "Nothing to see there, Bruce?". Bruce actually said nothing about that one!

Pre-emptive commentary! :)

See what Bruce is doing for lounge room comedy?

Oh, did anyone pick up the moment when Hodge got sat on his ****? Bruce called it a good block/shepherd! :cry:

698687-1e53ba28-6d52-11e5-b070-3995a5e0f903.jpg

:D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...post-on-facebook/story-fni0fit3-1227561672032

Implying someone is a homesexual is nothing?

I've been doing that for a long time, too.

Only difference is I try to comment before Bruce does: "...oh, isn't he marvellous?", I ask, every time Hodge is near the ball. Bruce then says something about how good Hodge is.

"Here's Cyril!" then Bruce says something weird about Rioli.

When Hodge belted Swallow, I asked, "Nothing to see there, Bruce?". Bruce actually said nothing about that one!

Pre-emptive commentary! :)

See what Bruce is doing for lounge room comedy?

Oh, did anyone pick up the moment when Hodge got sat on his ****? Bruce called it a good block/shepherd! :cry:

Bruce probably said nothing because he doesn't commentate Saturday night games. Nice try though.

It's no different to the Geelong era, or when Channel 7 fawn over Rafa, Federer, Djokovic in the tennis.
Exactly.

It's cringeworthy to listen to with regard to Hawthorn, however he did the exact same with Geelong. The tennis is no different and it's just so frustrating to listen to that.

Defeats the enjoyment of watching if you ever want an underdog to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's no different to the Geelong era, or when Channel 7 fawn over Rafa, Federer, Djokovic in the tennis.

Just another thread full of buttthurt whining babies spilling their salty tears all over the pages of Big Footy.

Commentators love winners. You'd expect them to gush over a triple premiership team. It makes more sense than them gooing over the Essendon or Collingwood stars. At least it has some basis in reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah Bruce is one of the most impartial ones..he's actually professional.

He would of got just as hard about West Coast if they actually did something exciting or started coming back.

What about in the 2010 Draw? Towards the end with Goddards hanger, Collingwood kicked it out on the full and Sharrod Wellingham had it, threw it back but threw it straight up in the air, looked at Razor Ray put his hand up, went screaming over the mark and caught it then threw it back. Not once was this ever brought up anywhere, should've been 2 50m Penalties at the time. I encourage everyone to try and find the footage and look for yourself. Oh and let's not forget at the start of the 2009 GF Chrome Dome Ablett being chicken winged and then just placing the ball on the ground, Razor Ray again.
Was the correct call by the ump. Would have been the most dreadful decision to pay a 50m penalty for the ball slipping out of someone's hand as he tries to throw the ball back. In the end about 3 seconds was wasted, Wellingham acknowledged his error and the game went on as it should have.

Was the correct call by the ump. Would have been the most dreadful decision to pay a 50m penalty for the ball slipping out of someone's hand as he tries to throw the ball back. In the end about 3 seconds was wasted, Wellingham acknowledged his error and the game went on as it should have.
Do you actually know the rules of the game or what?

Just another thread full of buttthurt whining babies spilling their salty tears all over the pages of Big Footy.

Commentators love winners. You'd expect them to gush over a triple premiership team. It makes more sense than them gooing over the Essendon or Collingwood stars. At least it has some basis in reality.

For those thinking Bruce was openly barracking for Hawthorn, get a copy of the game, and watch the first 20 minutes of the third quarter. The entire commentary team, Bruce included, were so excited about the thought West Coast may be getting into the game and were willing them to keep going.

Face it people. The Hawks were good, the commentators called it as they saw it, and because you didn't want the Hawks to win, you've decided to whine about it like immature little brats.

For those thinking Bruce was openly barracking for Hawthorn, get a copy of the game, and watch the first 20 minutes of the third quarter. The entire commentary team, Bruce included, were so excited about the thought West Coast may be getting into the game and were willing them to keep going.

Face it people. The Hawks were good, the commentators called it as they saw it, and because you didn't want the Hawks to win, you've decided to whine about it like immature little brats.

Commentators tend to pump up the 'comeback' before it is really on, trying to convince us all that it's actually a contest going on. The worst for this is Dwayne Russell. 50 points down and the losing team kicks two goals and he'd be hyping it up as the biggest comeback since Essendon v North 2001. Um, no, they are still six goals down you twat.

Bruce jumps on any team going well. I remember him drooling and blowing loads when we won our last flag. He has form not for a particular team however.

Network 7 need to tap Bruce on the shoulder and tell him his time is up. Doesnt even try to disguise his clear bias for Hawthorn.

I suppose if you are raised on pure WA bias to your states teams every week, even neutral commentary may seem anti WA

But if you are right, onya Bruce

Network 7 need to tap Bruce on the shoulder and tell him his time is up. Doesnt even try to disguise his clear bias for Hawthorn.

Does that mean the AFL need to tap umpires that umpire West Coast games in Perth on the shoulder and tell the their time is up...

Bruce probably said nothing because he doesn't commentate Saturday night games. Nice try though.
If i could like this a million times, i would. Glad someone pays attention to detail in here. GetDimmaBack, the commmentators on the hawks roos game where hodge got swallow were the usual saturday night clowns in BT and Darce.

I agree bruce seems to have become lazy, expecially when compared with his commentary from the 1990's and earlyish 2000's. But whereas he was good and has deteriorated, the 'newer' commenatators are almost universally all s&@" to start with. Dwayne, BT, darce, hame and basil are all unlistenable.

Despite all bruce's faults, i dont detect bias. As an example he gushed all over collingwood in round 3 when they destroyed st kilda, going so far as to emphasise that "collingwood will sit at the top of the ladder after tonight", which whilst factually correct, failed to mention they had a 2-1 record and teams like crows and dockers were unbeaten and still to play. And he loves geelong, especially selwood, (just listen to amy of his commentary of cats with stevie j, and uncle paully chapman) and also buddy, and yes cyril and hodgey. And he pumps up fyfe, and damn dangerfield gets a good run. And eddie betts. And nic nat.

So he says good things about good players. Surprise, hawks have some good players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back