Coach Buckley steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

They gave him a successful football team to coach when there was no need. A lot of players resented it (well documented) and IN MY OPINION blew our chances for having a dynasty like Richmond are having now. Is that Buckley's fault? No, it was the clubs fault.

Umm, yep. It is rumored that Nathan offered to postpone the failed succession plan, it is also rumored that the club Eddie declined Nathan's offer.

IMO if there is ever another chance at dynasty which we obviously had, we won't make the same mistake again.

Well, they got what they wanted, and can now move onto the next target.
Harvey has already been targeted. He is in a difficult position due to the preconceived belief by many that he is not a good coach. He finally has the opportunity to show that if there was a weak link among the assistants, it was not him.

If Buckley hadn’t taken over it would have been someone else.

Really? Do you really think that a team that went 20-2 with the 2nd highest % over the history of the comp would've just ousted MM regardless if Bucks didn't take the position?

That would be the height of naivety from a club Eddie that has the highest profile in the country if not the southern hemisphere.

Davis was cooked in 2010. He had two to three years of wonderful football around 2006 -2008. Malthouse loved him which is why he switched him into defense in 2011 but he really wasn't a defender and should have retired. Same situation as Colin Tully who was cooked by 1970 when Bob Rose decide to switch him to defense. These are the sorts of decisions that cost us premierships.
cooked in 2010?!! He was an AA defender in 2011. He dominated, and 'wished he hadve been moved back there sooner'. Because of his form, he demanded some decent coin to play on from memory, and we instead offered below market value due to salary cap limits. He was also missing home, and wanted to give it one last shot at playing in WA, but wasnt taken in the pre-season draft.... so ended up playing wafl footy.

I for one am not happy Bucks got the tap, we will rue this day, Bucks never ****ed us head office did.

We will be the next Carlton now, burn everything, we're done, money can't fix this.

Root of the problem? Ed simply stayed to long, he became conplacent which is why presidents have a use by date.

Last edited:
I for one am not happy Bucks got the tap, we will rue this day, Bucks never f’ed us head office did.

We will be the next Carlton now, burn everything, we're done, money can't fix this.

Root of the problem? Ed simply stayed to long, he became conplacent which is why presidents have a use by date.
McGuire - 1st ten years - tick. 2nd ten years - freakin disaster. Hubris, ego driven power trip littered with governance stuff ups.

The club has to deal with the hand it’s dealt, we can’t absolve the club just because not everything is ideal for them. Blaming Leon is a cop out.

Its entirely his fault. The club didnt want to burn promising careers or established mid 20's players just to keep a non-committal Leon for one more year. And thats an entirely reasonable stance given his 2010 form was so poor that he was dropped for the GF replay. T

The fact Leon finally turned his career around in 2011 was because Malthouse finally moved him to defence... and that happened partly because of the arrival of Krakouer. This begs the question of why Malthouse didnt try that years earlier. The same can be said for Tarrant who was played in defence for the first time when he was a Fremantle player.

Last edited:
I was a little shocked at first but I'm confortable with the announcement, timing and direction of the club.

I've been a Bucks supporter but the past two years are a disappointment, the club is going through a metamorphosis so the time is right.

I'm comfortable with Harvs having a crack too. It will be interesting to watch how he attacks the situation. I hope he plays it like he played his footy, sublime through traffic.

Exciting days!

This is a fantastic article on the Buckley decision by Jake Niall in The Age.

Key takeaways:
  • The decision was made by Wright following regular catch-ups with Bucks
  • The club believed they needed the 2022 coach to be there for a longer term than 2 years
  • This was decided because we don't believe we will be in premiership contention until 2024, we needed a longer term focus
  • Our next coach needs to be one that can commit to a further 3 years
  • Buckley had not lost the players but some felt worn out by the defense first mentality, they are sad he has left
  • Once the decision was made on Buckley's future, it was considered beneficial for Buckley to leave early rather than at seasons end, so that the club could openly pursue the next coach
  • It was also considered to be in Buckley's best interests so he wasn't coaching under the cloud of his pending departure and could spend time with his boys, following his marriage breakup.

I for one am not happy Bucks got the tap, we will rue this day, Bucks never f’ed us head office did.

As the week went on, I felt more and more impressed by the way in which Buckley's departure was handled.

The ousting of a club legend can spill poison which weakens the place for years, but the unfolding of events at CFC --that Buckley's exit came from open conversations between him and Wright, that Buckley realised the need for change and invited it, that the CFC has time in the season to put procedures in place and search for a replacement, that we have time to get a different look at the playing list, that the press conference was a respectful and straightforward production of the footy dept-- leaves me in no doubt that we're in the strongest possible position to build a better future.

It was the right outcome, achieved in the best possible way. To use a word not often associated with CFC in recent times, it was professional.

The only hiccup was Robbo's drunken mismanagement of face-to-face technology, but even that served to underscore Collingwood's competence.

Rebuilds (or what CFC has branded 'regeneration') are a painstaking, painful and ultimately uncertain business, but for the first time in a long time I'm feeling strangely optimistic that we're headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's - sadly - pretty clear you don't have the faintest idea.

Patellar tendinopathy isn't a bad knee injury. It's a relatively simple overuse condition that takes, in most people, around three/four months to fix (longer isn't uncommon).

Patella injuries are often chronic problems eg. O’Meara - he has never regained his previous highs, and missed a lot games. His career will be sadly cut short because of that injury.

Jolly was cooked.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic article on the Buckley decision by Jake Niall in The Age.

Key takeaways:
  • The decision was made by Wright following regular catch-ups with Bucks
  • The club believed they needed the 2022 coach to be there for a longer term than 2 years
  • This was decided because we don't believe we will be in premiership contention until 2024, we needed a longer term focus
  • Our next coach needs to be one that can commit to a further 3 years
  • Buckley had not lost the players but some felt worn out by the defense first mentality, they are sad he has left
  • Once the decision was made on Buckley's future, it was considered beneficial for Buckley to leave early rather than at seasons end, so that the club could openly pursue the next coach
  • It was also considered to be in Buckley's best interests so he wasn't coaching under the cloud of his pending departure and could spend time with his boys, following his marriage breakup.

Adam Treloar and Kim Ravallion will see some irony in the club making decisions based on their perception of employee welfare in their private lives

As the week went on, I felt more and more impressed by the way in which Buckley's departure was handled.

The ousting of a club legend can spill poison which weakens the place for years, but the unfolding of events at CFC --that Buckley's exit came from open conversations between him and Wright, that Buckley realised the need for change and invited it, that the CFC has time in the season to put procedures in place and search for a replacement, that we have time to get a different look at the playing list, that the press conference was a respectful and straightforward production of the footy dept-- leaves me in no doubt that we're in the strongest possible position to build a better future.

It was the right outcome, achieved in the best possible way. To use a word not often associated with CFC in recent times, it was professional.

The only hiccup was Robbo's drunken mismanagement of face-to-face technology, but even that served to underscore Collingwood's competence.

Rebuilds (or what CFC has branded 'regeneration') are a painstaking, painful and ultimately uncertain business, but for the first time in a long time I'm feeling strangely optimistic that we're headed in the right direction.
Unless Browne has a surprise move, it looks like Korda has out manoeuvred him. Hately’s EGM has been effectively stalled, and member unrest subdued.

As previously stated, I don’t like Korda or Browne, and would much prefer Murphy. I just hope the club gets the new coach right. It’s about time we put this s**t of a year behind us.

Graham Wright, savvy operator type
I'll take the CCP view of who won WW11 re Wrighty at this stage, far too early to tell.
Decision makers are great, those who make the right decision most often are worth their weight in gold.
With what has been thrown up over the past year and more, he just has to nail the new coach.

Adam Treloar and Kim Ravallion will see some irony in the club making decisions based on their perception of employee welfare in their private lives
One thing for sure is that if Treloar knew Buckley was going, Sam Edmund would have run with the story a week ago

Unless Browne has a surprise move, it looks like Korda has out manoeuvred him. Hately’s EGM has been effectively stalled, and member unrest subdued.

As previously stated, I don’t like Korda or Browne, and would much prefer Murphy. I just hope the club gets the new coach right. It’s about time we put this sh*t of a year behind us.

I don't think that Korda has 'outmaneuvered' Browne at all. Buckley's end wasn't the result of board-level politics; it was the product of mutual agreement between Buckley and Wright.

If Jeff Browne still has a worthwhile agenda, or if he can make a case that he's the right person to lead us into the future, then the members will listen. But yes, he'll have a hard time trying to position himself as the 'change' candidate.

I like Murphy, you like Murphy, but that seems irrelevant to the circumstances.

It is a s**t time for Collingwood, but crisis can be opportunity and my hope is that we're building the right foundations for future success.

I don't think that Korda has 'outmaneuvered' Browne at all. Buckley's end wasn't the result of board-level politics; it was the product of mutual agreement between Buckley and Wright.

If Jeff Browne still has a worthwhile agenda, or if he can make a case that he's the right person to lead us into the future, then the members will listen. But yes, he'll have a hard time trying to position himself as the 'change' candidate.

The cynic in me thinks that Browne's one play for power with a chance of succeeding was going to revolve around Buckley, so I wouldn't be surprised if the board expedited the decision.

The cynic in me thinks that Browne's one play for power with a chance of succeeding was going to revolve around Buckley, so I wouldn't be surprised if the board expedited the decision.

I agree in relation to Browne, that Buckley's demise takes the wind out of sails.

And nothing would surprise me about the board, but there's no evidence to reasonably suggest that the coach's departure was orchestrated or in any way advanced by the board.

Its entirely his fault. The club didnt want to burn promising careers or established mid 20's players just to keep a non-committal Leon for one more year. And thats an entirely reasonable stance given his 2010 form was so poor that he was dropped for the GF replay. T

The fact Leon finally turned his career around in 2011 was because Malthouse finally moved him to defence... and that happened partly because of the arrival of Krakouer. This begs the question of why Malthouse didnt try that years earlier. The same can be said for Tarrant who was played in defence for the first time when he was a Fremantle player.

Leon was fabulous in 2011, but his best season was his first AA year, when he had finally got himself fit enough to play around the ball in what is now known as the high half forward role. He was always inconsistent in that deep forward role where he played most of his career, due to fitness necessity. I'd say that 2010 gave him the kick up the arse needed to get his fitness back up to being able to play a role where he needed and got to run more.

I think this is different because it involved open conversations between Wright and Bucks that resulted in a shared view and decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back