chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Often an under trained part of the body, what do people usually do in the gym to work out their calves?

On top of this is it true that you can't over train your calves or is this rubbish just like it sounds>

BTW what are good exercises to do at the gym for your calves, if you lack Smith machines and a Donkey press or whatever its called?

This is one of the only times I'd use a Smith Machine to train, as i struggle to balance doing calf raises with a barbell on my shoulders.

A lot of people find that calves respond to really high reps (15-18 per set range).

If your gym doesn't have a seated calf or squat machine (this).

Could think of a few variations that might work:

- Leg press machine with your toes at the bottom hanging off the edge (this).
- Barbell rested on your knees while seated (this)
- Standing on an edge of machine or platform holding a plate/dumbbell (this).

A lot of people find that calves respond to really high reps (15-18 per set range).

If your gym doesn't have a seated calf or squat machine (this).

Could think of a few variations that might work:

- Leg press machine with your toes at the bottom hanging off the edge (this).
- Barbell rested on your knees while seated (this)
- Standing on an edge of machine or platform holding a plate/dumbbell (this).

Alright thanks I'm able to do most of those, I'm gyming 3 times a week, should I do one of these variations per session or do them all in one day in your opinion?

I've only ever done them once per week on leg day. Pretty sure they recover pretty quickly so you could possibly do them twice per week - but not sure you need to.

Also if you haven't trained them before, expect some pretty bad DOMS. I've been training them seated for years and a month ago moved to standing raises. For about 4 days afterwards i was still walking around on tip-toes due to the DOMS from the change of exercise.

I do calf raises after squats.

I just put a piece of wood I've got (a couple of plates would probably be fine) under the squat rack, put the bar on my back and stand with the balls of my feet on the wood.

Balancing is pretty hard to get used to, but I just stand sort of in the rack for safety.

I do calf raises after squats.

I just put a piece of wood I've got (a couple of plates would probably be fine) under the squat rack, put the bar on my back and stand with the balls of my feet on the wood.

Balancing is pretty hard to get used to, but I just stand sort of in the rack for safety.

I guess if you set the safety bars to near shoulder height - it wouldn't be as bad.

If you've got a skinny missus or gym partner then donkey raises are great for the calves. You can replicate it not quite as effectively with weight plates in a back pack. Otherwise Bog standard calf raises work well and just introduce weights on the squat rack as they become less effective over time.

I don't know if this is helping, possibly more toning them, but when I set the treadmill at an incline of 5% and do my walk for 5 mins at 6.2k/h followed by a 5 min jog at 9.2k/h I find my calves get a pretty good workout. Keep in mind I've recently started going to the gym so I'm not overly fit.

I don't know if this is helping, possibly more toning them, but when I set the treadmill at an incline of 5% and do my walk for 5 mins at 6.2k/h followed by a 5 min jog at 9.2k/h I find my calves get a pretty good workout. Keep in mind I've recently started going to the gym so I'm not overly fit.

Probably worth combining with some of the calf exercises that have been posted here mate.

I do nothing in the weight specifically for calves. I cycle and run intervals so they get a lot of work through those activities which is something to consider.

I find they get very good stimulation from pushing off in weighted dynamic lunges when I'm working out in the weight room though. Add those in I reckon and you'll be getting a very good total lower body workout, as well as trap, grip (no straps) and core development from holding monster weights while doing it.

Since I work out at home I just grab a dumbbell and hit them with sets of single leg raises 8-10 reps and then finish off with a set of double leg raises for as many reps as I can squeeze out. For the double leg set I alternate between toes pointed in or out from workout to workout. I hit them every 4 days on leg day.

I've heard calves can benefit from a mix of low and high reps. Don't know how true that is but I figure I might as well cover both bases anyway.

Agree with whoever mentioned the DOMS - I get DOMS far worse in my calves than any other bodypart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since I work out at home I just grab a dumbbell and hit them with sets of single leg raises 8-10 reps and then finish off with a set of double leg raises for as many reps as I can squeeze out. For the double leg set I alternate between toes pointed in or out from workout to workout. I hit them every 4 days on leg day.

I've heard calves can benefit from a mix of low and high reps. Don't know how true that is but I figure I might as well cover both bases anyway.

Agree with whoever mentioned the DOMS - I get DOMS far worse in my calves than any other bodypart.

Yeah, the worst DOMS are after BB lunges IMO. On that point do you guys prefer to do lunges with barbells or dumbbells?

I can't do them anymore, my knees are f**ked and they pull up really sore from lunges.

Always hated them anyway so it's a good excuse.

BTW what are good exercises to do at the gym for your calves, if you lack Smith machines and a Donkey press or whatever its called?

This is one of the only times I'd use a Smith Machine to train, as i struggle to balance doing calf raises with a barbell on my shoulders.

It's also the only thing I bother with the Smith Machine for as my gym doesn't have a standing calf raise, only the seated.

Try finishing off a leg press with some plantar flexion at the end of the movement for 3-4 sets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back