finrod

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Not a bad effort at all tonight with 4 goals (although one of them belonged to Ablett). Do we drop him next week against the Roos to make way for Chapman? Or does he deserve to keep his spot? Any thoughts?

Unhappy with Gardiner tonight.
His kicking was bad as ever and I was disappointed to see his petulant dummy spit when Ottens (wisely) would not pass it off to him.

LongBomb said:
Unhappy with Gardiner tonight.
His kicking was bad as ever and I was disappointed to see his petulant dummy spit when Ottens (wisely) would not pass it off to him.
Now c'mon, Gardiner setup that 7 point play during the 3rd quarter. (I would have been more happier if Hunt went for a big bomb 60 out on the flank :D)

charlie works pretty hard, we need his run in the half foward line along with Henry's they cover alot of ground.

changed our tune eh cats ! those of you who slagged him of when he was drafted i have a message for you ! you were wrong !!! the kid can play dont worry about that, always could just needed the chance

He'll stay in the side. Chapman is still no certainty to play this week, although the chances are he probably will. It'll be hard to find someone to go though. Charlie was ordinary last night, but he's been pretty good before that (eg. Round 6).

Whoever is dropped, I doubt it should be Thurley.

JUBJUB said:
He stays,Charlie goes.

Agreed but are we talking this week or are we talking about at the end of the year. Guys like Thurley & Ottens are setting a new standard for set shots. I donte expect pefection by any means but Gardnier totally shanks them, not on good contact. Playfair will get away with mashing his kicks because he is a legit tall marking option. Gardnier, McCarthy,Haynes and the rest must realise they must improve or start talking to North Ballarat for a gig next year.

guys like playfair and gardiner are ok with their kicking at goal as long as they stay at the half forward line. they are both top marks and arent too bad kicks in general play so if they can present at half forward and pass to a player closer to goal it works ok.

Difficult call to make. Bringing in a small (Chappie) for a player who we play as a tall (Gardiner) means that we need basically a full game from Henry across half forward and for King to bulk the majority of the game. Not too sure if this is wise, but given Charlies last two games it may be the way to go.

As for Thurley, he is still getting used to the speed of AFL, and those few sheepish goals he jagged at the end of the night definetely saved him. I dare say that hell stay in the team as you cannot really drop him, but next week Charlie would/will play better than him in the AFL. Just a hunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following up on nananana catman's thoughts, bringing in another small forward for a taller option IMO upsets the balance of the forward structure.

Ottens is best played one out from the goalsquare, and Kingsley will always run to his pockets, hardly deferring from the forward 50.

H is our big target at CHF, and Charlie generally plays the role of the link man between the wing movement to the flanks. He'll be the one leading out to the wings when H is covering the corridor. Johnno has the ability to play that role as well, but I have gut feeling he's best left free to do what he pleases.

Chapman, Ablett, any resting midfielders (predominantly the likes of Kelly etc), and now Thurley are our smaller forwards. Chapman, and to an extent Thurley can play as leading small forwards (as opposed to the traditional goalsneak forwards) but I'd much rather leave them closer to the goals than play them in the same manner of Charlie (really leading into the spaces as a floating flanker).

If Chapman is brought back in at the expense of Charlie, we'll have lost that linking forward flanker. The current forward rotation and mix of talls/smalls Bomber has got going is working nicely right now, and I'd hate to see it being chopped and changed too much at this point in time. I suppose we could always play Johnno more as that presenting option across the flanks, though.

What about Steve Johnson? I hate to say this but he has been looking a little underdone - like he cant run out the game. He is a star - a deadset champion - but maybe a run in the VFL?

fishman said:
What about Steve Johnson? I hate to say this but he has been looking a little underdone - like he cant run out the game. He is a star - a deadset champion - but maybe a run in the VFL?
He kicked two goals irrespective. He's too good for the VFL standard, he needs AFL match time to get back to full fitness and form. He did a few things on the weekend that he thought he could get away with, but not in the AFL - he needs game time.

Gotta say it's been a great relief these last couple of weeks watching Thurley in front of goals. Any half-aware cat fan should be able to remember countless times in the last few years when our backs and midfielders have busted a gut winning contested possessions to set up scoring opportunities only for the likes of Gardiner, Playfair, Haynes, Kingsley, McCarthy, etc [I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them mid-rant] to waste the chances with woeful kicking. Wastefulness in front of goal has been one of our worst problem areas in recent years, and bad kicking affects the morale of the whole team. Let the guy stay and do his thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back