Poll Can-Am 2021 - Week 3

Vote for your favourite in each match, DO NOT vote for yourself.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
nF0eX8z.png

Welcome to Week 3 of the 2021 Can-Am season.

This weeks Big Ticket game sees the Can-Am 2 take precedence with the titanic matchup of the INDIANAPOLIS DRIVE vs the PALM SPRINGS FOOTBALL CLUB.

Eastern Conference

Toronto FC
r6lQIqp.jpg

@ DC Jurassic
5k2V5a2.jpg

Philadelphia Surge
Jcuw1oF.png

@ New York Nationals
HlqZsvh.png

Norfolk Pilots
9weiuhP.png

@ Winnepeg Silverbacks
6M8P1Jn.png

Western Conference

SoCal Sharks
NYgMj0w.jpg

@ The Valley Football Team
Y11DqjW.jpg

Vancouver Stags
eFVJaAI.jpg

@ Sacramento Rush
sBr68Qn.png

San Jose Bytes
1An9QIC.jpg

@ Colorado Bighorns
QCFQ3tE.png

Can-Am 2

24lw2AJ.png

Indianapolis Drive (Indiana Bluebirds)
nGFbG0y.jpg

vs Palm Springs Football Club (Los Angeles Bears)
3V2TnLH.png

Thoughts on The Nats?
I really was really happy with both of these and personally thought they were a chance but 3 weeks in Im not feeling that way any more. Without looking I dont think I polled a vote last week against Indiana and Im going particularly well this week again.

Short of doing the realistic template ala Scorch, magpienato and caloschwaby what would you say is lacking?

nats pres ignite upload.png nats spirit pres upload.png

Both are really good. I think the away is stronger, the skyline probably works better as the base colour shaping a yoke above, as it comes across a little thin on the home imo. Looking through last seasons, the addition of red adds nicely to the Nationals moniker though. Out of interest, was the use of the older NY skyline purposeful?

Thoughts on The Nats?
I really was really happy with both of these and personally thought they were a chance but 3 weeks in Im not feeling that way any more. Without looking I dont think I polled a vote last week against Indiana and Im going particularly well this week again.

Short of doing the realistic template ala Scorch, magpienato and caloschwaby what would you say is lacking?

View attachment 1175250View attachment 1175251

It was a pretty close vote for me this week, you'd definitely have gotten my vote if you were in your blue based kit. The skyline just sort of floating mid-chest doesn't quite work as well as having it extend up from the body colour. I think you're probably falling behind in terms of presentation a bit as well, the Surge presentation is really nice.

I really like your home kit, I think it's really well executed.

Thoughts on The Nats?

I think maybe you need to focus less on the skyline and do something awesome with the Statue as your hero element, make it cool and stylised, etc. It's unique to your team so it my be beneficial to lean into that.

Edit: I also noticed your skyline has the twin towers, intentional?

Thoughts on The Nats?

I'd echo what El Scorcho said, I also prefer the blue kit to the white kit.
The "The Big Apple" wordmark/font just does nothing for me, a straight palette swap of the blue kit would be an improvement imho.

Thoughts on The Nats?

In my experience of dealing with red/white/blue colour schemes, I find the design has to do a lot of the heavy lifting simply because it is such a common colour scheme we see in not only sports but our daily lives. So psychologically, it's takes that little bit extra in order to 'wow' people which is where the design comes into it. So that just might be something to keep in mind in the future, some designs magically look better in other colour schemes.

I think the Home leaves a bit to be desired, A skyline-based design has its merits and it has worked in the past, but I think on yours it's sorta just there, needs a bit more to make it feel like it belongs if that makes sense. I actually really like you going with the wordmark on your home, but I think just keeping it to either 'Nats' or 'New York' would have worked better.

All in all there are definitely some improvments to be made, but it's not entirely as bad as you are probably thinking. You have played a couple of tough opposition so I wouldn't have your head down yet :)

Thoughts on The Nats?

Mate, if the team were real, you would have nailed it (specially the dark kit). However, this is a competition that values those bold and daring. It’s necessary to take risks.

Both are really good. I think the away is stronger, the skyline probably works better as the base colour shaping a yoke above, as it comes across a little thin on the home imo. Looking through last seasons, the addition of red adds nicely to the Nationals moniker though. Out of interest, was the use of the older NY skyline purposeful?
Thanks :) Yeh the white guernsey could have been a bit better. Back to the drawing board for next season. Nah the use of the pre 9/11 skyline was not at all intentional
It was a pretty close vote for me this week, you'd definitely have gotten my vote if you were in your blue based kit. The skyline just sort of floating mid-chest doesn't quite work as well as having it extend up from the body colour. I think you're probably falling behind in terms of presentation a bit as well, the Surge presentation is really nice.

I really like your home kit, I think it's really well executed.
I had all three designs locked in aaagess ago but I forgot about this comp a bit and then stocktake in a Automotive Parts Department that you have recently taken over is no fun when the deadline for Can-Am is drawing near so the pres definitely got neglected and hasnt been a regular strong point of mine anyway.
I think maybe you need to focus less on the skyline and do something awesome with the Statue as your hero element, make it cool and stylised, etc. It's unique to your team so it my be beneficial to lean into that.

Edit: I also noticed your skyline has the twin towers, intentional?
The Statue of Liberty hero element is tucked away in the idea box for next year.
The skyline was not intentional and a massive oversight on my behalf.
I'd echo what El Scorcho said, I also prefer the blue kit to the white kit.
The "The Big Apple" wordmark/font just does nothing for me, a straight palette swap of the blue kit would be an improvement imho.
Thanks :) Being a North American based design comp the wordmark was to make it more like a NBA jersey. While I do agree with the palette swap being an improvment the reason I didnt go that way is because I felt it lacked in orginallity between home and away for a comp like this.
In my experience of dealing with red/white/blue colour schemes, I find the design has to do a lot of the heavy lifting simply because it is such a common colour scheme we see in not only sports but our daily lives. So psychologically, it's takes that little bit extra in order to 'wow' people which is where the design comes into it. So that just might be something to keep in mind in the future, some designs magically look better in other colour schemes.

I think the Home leaves a bit to be desired, A skyline-based design has its merits and it has worked in the past, but I think on yours it's sorta just there, needs a bit more to make it feel like it belongs if that makes sense. I actually really like you going with the wordmark on your home, but I think just keeping it to either 'Nats' or 'New York' would have worked better.

All in all there are definitely some improvments to be made, but it's not entirely as bad as you are probably thinking. You have played a couple of tough opposition so I wouldn't have your head down yet :)
Yeh I feel that re the colour scheme so a new one might have to be on the table for next season! The home design might have to go the way of the Footscray 1935 guernsey (one and done)
Thanks! the reason it was 'The Big Apple' was inspired by Buzz City and The Valley in the NBA.
Mate, if the team were real, you would have nailed it (specially the dark kit). However, this is a competition that values those bold and daring. It’s necessary to take risks.
Thanks GP :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks :) Yeh the white guernsey could have been a bit better. Back to the drawing board for next season. Nah the use of the pre 9/11 skyline was not at all intentional

I had all three designs locked in aaagess ago but I forgot about this comp a bit and then stocktake in a Automotive Parts Department that you have recently taken over is no fun when the deadline for Can-Am is drawing near so the pres definitely got neglected and hasnt been a regular strong point of mine anyway.

The Statue of Liberty hero element is tucked away in the idea box for next year.
The skyline was not intentional and a massive oversight on my behalf.

Thanks :) Being a North American based design comp the wordmark was to make it more like a NBA jersey. While I do agree with the palette swap being an improvment the reason I didnt go that way is because I felt it lacked in orginallity between home and away for a comp like this.

Yeh I feel that re the colour scheme so a new one might have to be on the table for next season! The home design might have to go the way of the Footscray 1935 guernsey (one and done)
Thanks! the reason it was 'The Big Apple' was inspired by Buzz City and The Valley in the NBA.

Thanks GP :)
What I'd usually do is just make a few concept drawings for next seasons based on the feedback here while it's still fresh in your mind. Doesn't need to be overly detailed but I've found just having that launch pad for next season can be really helpful and motivate you when next season rolls around.

What I'd usually do is just make a few concept drawings for next seasons based on the feedback here while it's still fresh in your mind. Doesn't need to be overly detailed but I've found just having that launch pad for next season can be really helpful and motivate you when next season rolls around.
Yeh thats what the plan was for the weekend!

Back