Can we start a campaign to get AFL off Foxtel?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Foxtel need to release just an AFL package.. without all the added bullshit.

Majority of AFL fans enjoy other sport so they won't be downgrading their package (i wouldnt), but would pick up a lot of subscribers that just want Footy and can't justify the 50-60 a month it currently is.

Make it $15 a month.
$180 for every AFL game plus your AFL 360, On the Couch etc..

Would easily pick up 50,000 extra subscribers at $15 a month.
Equates to about 9 million dollars revenue per annum.

Considering they already do that internationally, it's not a stretch. But $15? lol good luck. They offer it now for about $30 a month internationally. They will never charge $15.

The thing that shits me about Foxtel, is there is limited choice. You either have the sports pack, the entertainment pack, the movie pack etc. So you may want 1 certain channel from the pack, but have to have the rest, while going well I want this channel in this pack too, that's not available in my current pack, so you get that pack as well. It would be so much easier and cheaper if they went $25 for 1-4 channels, $20 for 5-9 etc.

The thing that shits me about Foxtel, is there is limited choice. You either have the sports pack, the entertainment pack, the movie pack etc. So you may want 1 certain channel from the pack, but have to have the rest, while going well I want this channel in this pack too, that's not available in my current pack, so you get that pack as well. It would be so much easier and cheaper if they went $25 for 1-4 channels, $20 for 5-9 etc.
They would lose money hand over fist if they did that.
Just like if they made it so you didnt need the starter pack to begin.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

They would lose money hand over fist if they did that.
Just like if they made it so you didnt need the starter pack to begin.

I know, it's why I think the AFL should develop its own subscription network, free of Telstra. Streaming is more common place these days. If they do have a subscription network, should promote it better!

They currently have over 1m subscribers.

If they did that they'd have 1m subscribers to Sport and Showcase.

The only actual issue in play is value for money. People pay $9-15 a month for Netflix and don't watch the majority of what's available. Then go on BigFooty and complain that Foxtel won't let them pick and choose what they want for a reduced price.

Netflix... they are looking at branching into live sports streaming... what better way to start in Australia than with the AFL. Would charge around $5 extra a month for it too.

Netflix... they are looking at branching into live sports streaming... what better way to start in Australia than with the AFL. Would charge around $5 extra a month for it too.

Assuming every single Netflix subscriber got AFL (which they wouldn't), $5 month would bring in $108million, the rights alone cost Foxtel $250mil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rights for online streaming of AFL? or the telecast rights?

thats what foxtel pays for exclusive rights. If you want to stream in HD to Tv thats what you have to make up when Foxtel walks away.

thats what foxtel pays for exclusive rights. If you want to stream in HD to Tv thats what you have to make up when Foxtel walks away.
for exclusive streaming rights? or just broadcast rights? There is no reason why the AFL can't do what other sports around the world have done and auction of broadcast rights (TV) and streaming rights (internet) as seperate packages. As with everything else the AFL is behind what every other sport is doing, and once they catch up, we will all be the better for it.

Optus are offering pay TV channel packs (ranging from 5-15 channels) for $6/mth each on fetch TV. Admittedly, I don't know if Fetch is any good, but surely this sort of thing is the way of the future. No need to pay $30/mth for 40 channels you'll never use then pay some more for a few channels you will use and 20 horse racing channels.

Optus are offering pay TV channel packs (ranging from 5-15 channels) for $6/mth each on fetch TV. Admittedly, I don't know if Fetch is any good, but surely this sort of thing is the way of the future. No need to pay $30/mth for 40 channels you'll never use then pay some more for a few channels you will use and 20 horse racing channels.
They arent paying the production of any of them as well as they are cheap shows to purchase for the ch. Thats why the cost is so low.

They have a country of over 300 million people who are helping pay for the product, before they even look at on selling overseas.
Which is why they dont charge through the roof to the local streamers(who can then sell to customers cheaply)

AFL doesnt have 300 mil population base, or anywhere near, and it doesnt have an international presence like the American comps.

The Optus system is painfully slow and makes you want to hit your head against the wall.

It's putrid until that's fixed

They have a country of over 300 million people who are helping pay for the product, before they even look at on selling overseas.
Which is why they dont charge through the roof to the local streamers(who can then sell to customers cheaply)

AFL doesnt have 300 mil population base, or anywhere near, and it doesnt have an international presence like the American comps.

Obviously it's significantly cheaper, but it's bundled with almost 10 other channels for just $6/mth. It's for sure possible to get fox footy (or equivalent), on its own, for $10/mth. Don't forget there's revenue from ads as well to pay for the running costs.

Obviously it's significantly cheaper, but it's bundled with almost 10 other channels for just $6/mth. It's for sure possible to get fox footy (or equivalent), on its own, for $10/mth. Don't forget there's revenue from ads as well to pay for the running costs.
And? The providers/streamers here dont have to produce anything.
They are all premade elsewhere and they get it cheaper because its sold world wide.

Im sure it is possible to only sell Foxfooty but;
The tv deal would plummet downwards though as our population is not large and theres almost no international presence to onsell to for $$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back