Expansion Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Lavington has just been refurbished, and they are pushing for AFL games, but it is the middle of nowhere and Albury would have been better off making Albury Sports Ground (next to the CBD) the main stadium. They could draw 20K to AFL games. Close enough for people to drive up from Melbourne and a perfect secondary home city for a Canberra team. Tas 2025. Canberra next media deal 2031.

In a place where everyone would drive to the ground, they're better off having it in an outer suburb where there's space for parking. CBD stadiums are only really good for public transport purposes, which doesn't mean much in a city with virtually no public transport (outside a few buses. and they can go anywhere anyway).

In a place where everyone would drive to the ground, they're better off having it in an outer suburb where there's space for parking. CBD stadiums are only really good for public transport purposes, which doesn't mean much in a city with virtually no public transport (outside a few buses. and they can go anywhere anyway).
If the ground was walking distance from accomodation, everyone would not have to drive. It would boost numbers and result in more people staying in town. 100K in Albury Wodonga. They have a decent bus service. No a huge amount of parking at Lavington. If it was a night game (once the shops are closed), there would be more spots available in town.

I think Cricket ACT may own Phillip Oval now, or at least be the primary tenets and so have a say in how it’s developed. Also, they are a lot of apartments being built in the area so you may have similar issues as Manuka.

There is one location that doesn’t get a lot attention but maybe worth investigating and that is along the Tuggeranong Parkway near the Cotter Road overpass. It’s currently empty, is close to two main arterial roads and nearly dead centre in the middle of the city.

I like that you're thinking outside the box, the problem is that area is not planned to be serviced by light rail, unless they eventually build one to Coombs. Areas with poor public transport and nothing around them are rarely good locations for stadia. Maybe a bit further up Cotter Rd, one of the fields around the Mint would be a good location, although I doubt the locals will be happy about the loss of open space.

I hadn't actually thought of anywhere outside of the ones mentioned in the news, but I like these ideas!

Building a new stadium across from the Mint would also put it directly on the light rail line to Woden, too.

Canberra United have got the lime green too.

I think blue and gold are the preferred colours for Canberra teams, but I wouldn't mind a bit of green as a clash. Like Woodville West-Torrens in the SANFL.
Probably would need a third colour, can't see West Coast being very happy about another team in just blue and yellow.

I hadn't actually thought of anywhere outside of the ones mentioned in the news, but I like these ideas!

Building a new stadium across from the Mint would also put it directly on the light rail line to Woden, too.
You won't get a stadium built anywhere near the Mint, I believe there are some heavy restrictions in that area, both environmental and infrastructure.

That said, I think there may be some environmental restrictions on the site I was thinking of near the Parkway.

Probably would need a third colour, can't see West Coast being very happy about another team in just blue and yellow.

It'd be a bit of a darker blue, but I agree there'd be a bit of competition for colours.

The AIS teams are also blue, yellow and green and they look pretty decent. We'd have to keep green a tertiary colour though because you'd assume Tasmania will use it as their primary.

I think blue and gold are the preferred colours for Canberra teams, but I wouldn't mind a bit of green as a clash. Like Woodville West-Torrens in the SANFL.
I have to say, I like Canberra United's early jerseys when they wore Dark Green and Black. The Lime Green doesn't look as good.

It'd be a bit of a darker blue, but I agree there'd be a bit of competition for colours.

The AIS teams are also blue, yellow and green and they look pretty decent. We'd have to keep green a tertiary colour though because you'd assume Tasmania will use it as their primary.

Yeah the more navy but modern blue with the gold of the New Orleans saints would be very different to west coast and would look good. Actually notre dame have those colours. Also a northern states team needs blue as all the others are red, orange, maroon. So that would look cool, or just the black and gold of New Orleans.

Otherwise the dark blue, silver and bright green of my Seattle seahawks would be original and look awesome too. Green needs to be a secondary colour though as tassie should be predominantly green.

Yeah the more navy but modern blue with the gold of the New Orleans saints would be very different to west coast and would look good. Actually notre dame have those colours. Also a northern states team needs blue as all the others are red, orange, maroon. So that would look cool, or just the black and gold of New Orleans.

Otherwise the dark blue, silver and bright green of my Seattle seahawks would be original and look awesome too. Green needs to be a secondary colour though as tassie should be predominantly green.

Exactly! If you check out the Brumbies or CBR Brave, they're a much darker blue than the Eagles. There's already three teams with variations of red, blue and yellow and three teams with blue and white, so a darker blue should be enough of a difference.

The actual gold colour as opposed to calling yellow gold is definitely underutilised in Australian sport and would stop any clashes.

I had a go at some jerseys designs last night.

A possible home jersey, incorporating the Blue and Gold that are Canberra's sporting colours with some green to differentiate them from West Coast.

5 Home.JPG

And also an away jersey that is predominately gold.

5 Away.JPG

I also created some others with colours that are closer to other teams I follow, but trying to stay away from common AFL combinations.

The Two Blues of the Parramatta Rugby Union Club (now know as Western Sydney)

19 Home.JPG

Or Canberra United, our female Soccer team.

27 Home.JPG

Attachments

• 22 Home.JPG
    22 Home.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 29

A possible home jersey, incorporating the Blue and Gold that are Canberra's sporting colours with some green to differentiate them from West Coast.

View attachment 1056915

And also an away jersey that is predominately gold.

View attachment 1056920

I also created some others with colours that are closer to other teams I follow, but trying to stay away from common AFL combinations.

The Two Blues of the Parramatta Rugby Union Club (now know as Western Sydney)

View attachment 1056923

Or Canberra United, our female Soccer team.

View attachment 1056925

Nice work! The green addition to the ACT colours works well with the "bush capital" nickname.

I am a fan of the Canberra United scheme too, but assuming Tasmania come at a similar time there'd be a bit of a clash. More black like Western United might work well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice work! The green addition to the ACT colours works well with the "bush capital" nickname.

I am a fan of the Canberra United scheme too, but assuming Tasmania come at a similar time there'd be a bit of a clash. More black like Western United might work well.
I actually gave that a go, but I didn't like it as much.
27 Third.JPG

Last seasons Swansea City away jersey was one of the best jersey's I've seen, so I tried to emulate it, but the limitation of the website I used didn't allow it.
32 Home.JPG

I got a little hooked on designing jersey, I made about sixty last night and this morning, most weren’t that good though. :)

Last edited:
Something like this style might also look alright. Obviously in a singlet version and different logo. Combines blue, green, yellow.

Screenshot_20210213-170951_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 1056915
Could you please try one replacing the blue with more green? (full Woodville Warriors)

I’d think we’d see a third WA or SA side before we saw a Canberra team

I don't know if SA could sustain three teams. Even Port struggled with crowds earlier on and they were by far the strongest team in the SANFL. I can't see where the support for a third team would come from.

A bit biased, but I would prefer a team in Canberra before either of those two options. We're currently getting three games a year, while they're both getting 22 games a year.

A Canberra team would actually help grow the game too. Everybody playing tackle codes in SA and WA already plays footy. Footy is strong in Canberra, but a team would help it compete at the grassroots level against union (it's actually already smashing league at grassroots).

Participation, especially amongst the youth, winning kids away from the rugby codes. I'm not sure what tourism has to do with growing the game.
If there was a Canberra team and my club was playing there, but I was only going to head interstate twice a year, it wouldn’t be to Canberra.

Tourism has a big part to play in getting continuous crowds and support, particularly on new regions that are not footy heartlands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back