Cars & Transportation Car Torque

Remove this Banner Ad

Holden (I'm not read up about recently but definitely in the 60s - 70s) had aspirations at the forefront of automotive development that were either roadblocked directly or indirectly by having some Yank reassigned out to Australia to head Holden up.
Torana GTR- X a great example of this.

GM basically deciding Holden didn't need to produce it as "they" had the Corvette.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Goot to have a drive of a big block '68 2 door Mustang once. Big brute was so effortless with a torque curve that felt linear. From anywhere to 100mph without any fuss. But to steal a Clarksonism - you got the impression that the steering wheel was in no way connected to the front wheels.

I too have a soft spot for E series holdens, although the EH is my fave. I once had a HZ with a 253 + M21. Liked the motor. Gearbox and clutch not so much.

Dream car - Model A hotrod.
My first car was going to be an EH Wagon, triple carbs and 4sp floor shifter. Was immaculate but the 3k asking price was just too much for 17yo Craigos.
Anyone had much experience with BMWs? The 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s with that sweet turbo 3.0 litre are getting quite affordable second-hand. I’ve only heard good things
I love the E30 6 cylinder coupe models. Was looking at buying one as a daily but was hard to justify their current price tags. Even the 4 cylinders are just getting too much.
E30s.JPG

I know people who work that have bought SUVs and 4x4 twin cabs because they travel on dirt in their commute. Not off-road so to speak, just unsealed road.

People can spend their earned however they like, but what is it said about fools and their money?

Dual cab utes actually kinda suck. Good for some things but if you don't regularly need the tray then they are pretty impractical. The back seat is small and usually uncomfortable and you have zero cargo space other than that. So if you are lugging around bales of hay or trail bikes or whatever then great, but if you have kid seats and the 17 bags of stuff that seem to go with ferrying kids around then pretty much all of it ends up in a tray exposed to the elements.

I'd say 9/10 people are better off with a wagon than a ute. Even something like a Toyota Hilux/Fortuner which are effectively the same car with a different body you're better off with the flexibility of the wagon. I've had a couple of wagons over the last 6-7 years after having a sedan and it's been great. I'd only ever buy a sedan again if it was a fun one. Saw a very sleek Mercedes C63 AMG the other day. If you didn't know what you were looking at you could think it was just a regular 4 door sedan. But the 19 inch rims, steering wheel sized brake rotors and 'V8 biturbo' badge on the quarter panel gave it away. But then that's about $180-200k worth of car...

Anyone had much experience with BMWs? The 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s with that sweet turbo 3.0 litre are getting quite affordable second-hand. I’ve only heard good things
They're great cars but I guess not that great if you're on a budget, particularly the the 35s and 40s which are a bomb to service and insure. My mate has a 335i and I looked long and hard at a 340i a year ago before I went to the other end of the scale and bought an F6. Personal taste mostly but I'm guessing you have a lot less Broadmeadows in you than I do.

They're great cars but I guess not that great if you're on a budget, particularly the the 35s and 40s which are a bomb to service and insure. My mate has a 335i and I looked long and hard at a 340i a year ago before I went to the other end of the scale and bought an F6. Personal taste mostly but I'm guessing you have a lot less Broadmeadows in you than I do.

Haha maybe. Nothing wrong with an F6 though.

Thoughts on Proton Jumbucks? Mate's old man reckons his deal of 2 grand to me's pretty good.

Silent Alarm you should get a license bro. A whole new world of generalisations and stereotyping you are missing out on over here.

The things you can pigeonhole because someone has a 2014 Audi A3. Window to the soul stuff.

Since when would that stop him? There's numerous topics where SA has blessed us with his input in many fields he has no experience in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once rated as the most unsafe vehicle in Australia

As Jeremy Clarkson once said, Proton may own Lotus but owning a guitar doesn't make me Jimmy Page.

You would have to pay me 2 grand to have a Jumbuck in the garage. Not joking. The Gen2 and other later hatches and sedans are alright, I suppose, but why go with them when there are literally dozens of others that are probably safer, have more features and don't invite public ridicule?

Back when I barely had two coins to rub together, I couldn't go past the humble AU Falcon. I had a white one with a bodykit that I thought looked the business.

It was mum and dad's family car, then a work car when I had to go on the tools to pay the bills. Folded the back seats down and you could fit a work platform in there, and 3 metres of whatever you had to carry would be resting up on the dash.

It really got us through some s**t, and apart from an alternator I can't remember using a spanner on the thing.

They still are reliable and rugged.

Just that it hasn't kept up with modern safety expectations.

Ha... I can tell you one thing that Jeeps are not, and that’s reliable.

Absolute heaps of s**t. Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Ram / Fiat / Alfa / Abarth / Maserati / whatever the * else they call their things these days have an appalling reputation for reliability, and deservedly so.

Which is a shame, cos some of them look great and go well.

The Wrangler is an absolute disgrace and wouldn’t be on the road if we had appropriate laws about new cars. Crash tests had front seat dummies colliding with the dash and A-pillar, the floorwell ruptured and basically folded, the pedals shot rearwards (leg shattering), and chest protection was rated weak.

These are frontal-offset crash tests at 60km/h that should really have occupants walking to the ambulance for a check-up. In the Wrangler they could well be killed.

It performed significantly worse than the old model which is just baffling.

Drove some Jeeps in Hawaii like the token tourist and god damn, hands down the worse car I have ever driven. Feels like it's going to fall apart at the first sight of a bump.

Dual cab utes actually kinda suck. Good for some things but if you don't regularly need the tray then they are pretty impractical. The back seat is small and usually uncomfortable and you have zero cargo space other than that. So if you are lugging around bales of hay or trail bikes or whatever then great, but if you have kid seats and the 17 bags of stuff that seem to go with ferrying kids around then pretty much all of it ends up in a tray exposed to the elements.

I'd say 9/10 people are better off with a wagon than a ute. Even something like a Toyota Hilux/Fortuner which are effectively the same car with a different body you're better off with the flexibility of the wagon. I've had a couple of wagons over the last 6-7 years after having a sedan and it's been great. I'd only ever buy a sedan again if it was a fun one. Saw a very sleek Mercedes C63 AMG the other day. If you didn't know what you were looking at you could think it was just a regular 4 door sedan. But the 19 inch rims, steering wheel sized brake rotors and 'V8 biturbo' badge on the quarter panel gave it away. But then that's about $180-200k worth of car...
There is a big advantage in 4 X 4 duel cabs in that they are exempt from FBT.
I have a V6 Amarok which is a great vehicle that suits me perfectly.
Kids are gone, great off-road, tows the boat well, drives well, throw the bike and the dog in the back.
No way I'd be getting a 4wd company vehicle without the FBT concession. Actually works out cheaper for the company over a 4 year lease than a Commodore.

Which model? Fair bit of difference between a Grand Cherokee and a Patriot.
Its a pity because a Wrangler is a good size and goes well offroad but poor reliability they feel horrible to drive.

Was different Wranglers. Whilst you have to be lenient due to it being a rental and coping undoubted abuse, one had very low miles and still drove like my old mans boat launcher series 2 Land Rover that had a red 202 and no brakes.
s-l400.webp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back