Club Focus Carlton 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

He’ll be in line for a decent haircut.
Depends what his priorities are,
Money or helping to build a contending team …
Can't imagine he'd be on a big wage anywhere next contract, pushing 30, huge injury risk.

I'd hope we give him short rolling contracts, his main reason to leave would be security imo not dollars

Can't imagine he'd be on a big wage anywhere next contract, pushing 30, huge injury risk.

I'd hope we give him short rolling contracts, his main reason to leave would be security imo not dollars

Agreed,
He’s had his big contract.
Carlton’s offer should be short term performance based contract with the carrot being the chance to be part of a contending team.
If that’s not acceptable to him he’s free to test the market.
Any club offering him a long term contract must fancy Russian roulette …

Not that I want to lose him, but the Blues should seriously be in Ginnivan’s ear. If he’s not in our best side come finals, and I don’t think he will be, the Blues can offer him a 3 or 4 year deal and say “you’ll be our best small and play every single week” and that might be enough for him to tell the pies it’s the best move for my career.

I also think they should let De Koning walk and let Goldstein play on in navy blue for a year or two while they sort their sh*t out and find a good young ruck prospect. They need a ruck with mitts. Matt Flynn could be an option too.

Not that I want to lose him, but the Blues should seriously be in Ginnivan’s ear. If he’s not in our best side come finals, and I don’t think he will be, the Blues can offer him a 3 or 4 year deal and say “you’ll be our best small and play every single week” and that might be enough for him to tell the pies it’s the best move for my career.

I also think they should let De Koning walk and let Goldstein play on in navy blue for a year or two while they sort their sh*t out and find a good young ruck prospect. They need a ruck with mitts. Matt Flynn could be an option too.
Not the worst Oppo analysis tbh but not Goldy, he's cooked.

Ginivan has been surpassed by hill and others and if he can get his first instinct to duck out of his game is worth it for most teams

How much is paddy dow worth? Early 3rd?

Cripps. He'll be 29 at the start of next season and it's looking increasingly likely his finals drought will extend this season. Would anyone blame him if he jumped ship before his banged up body totally gave out?

Where would he go? What's he worth?

The obvious destination has always been WA but going to West Coast for finals atm makes no sense whilst I don't know if Freo have the currency to get him, Carlton would want more than their future first.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps. He'll be 29 at the start of next season and it's looking increasingly likely his finals drought will extend this season. Would anyone blame him if he jumped ship before his banged up body totally gave out?

Where would he go? What's he worth?

The obvious destination has always been WA but going to West Coast for finals atm makes no sense whilst I don't know if Freo have the currency to get him, Carlton would want more than their future first.
We wouldn't take him. Not in an 'opposing player is shit' kinda way, he's a gun, just that our list demographic has moved away from where he is, and quietly I reckon Matt Johnson may be as big a contested beast in a year or so. West Coast would just be for a massive pay day and provide leadership; he'd be better staying at the Blues.

If Richmond listened to outside noise at the end of 2016 so called experts saying we need to "rebuild" we would not have won 2017, 2019, 2020 premierships.

Carlton needs to hold their nerve sacking another coach will only set them back further.

Herald Sun's Sam Landsberger is speculating that Carlton could seek inspiration from the Bowes trade, and offer a smaller Victorian club Williams with their first rounder.
Do they say to North Melbourne or St Kilda – here, take our No. 6 pick plus Williams and we will use the $800,000 saved to sign players who can help win the 2024 flag?

Williams, who turns 29 this year, signed a six-year $5 million contract. Halfway through that deal he will have played 23 games.

Next year he will be coming off an ACL while the Blues should be in premiership mode. So do they cut their losses and dump that salary?

The Blues will save a bundle next year when Mitch McGovern’s $700,000 deal expires – whether they trade him or re-sign him for half that price.

But they are bracing for more than one of De Koning, Jack Silvagni, Paddy Dow and McGovern to go.
Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/52be6aa15c062e7a182daef7e7b76603

Reckon most North fans would take that deal every day of the week.

Would cancel my membership if after the year we've had, we sent off our first pick which could be up to pick 5 to get rid of Williams

That is the absolute one thing they can’t do. Their first rounder is currently their only pick likely to be used, and they need an influx of good youngsters

It won’t happen but they should seriously look at parting with Cripps, and he should look at parting from them. He may lead by example in terms of ability, but he is no leader or director. If you think it may destroy Carlton’s culture, I say what culture? What they’ve had for so long is not a successful culture. Cripps may not be responsible for that, but they’ve got to look at options.

We wouldn't take him. Not in an 'opposing player is s**t' kinda way, he's a gun, just that our list demographic has moved away from where he is, and quietly I reckon Matt Johnson may be as big a contested beast in a year or so. West Coast would just be for a massive pay day and provide leadership; he'd be better staying at the Blues.

It would make sense if Fyfe bailed. Like for like but a couple of years younger.

Both captains ex catptain so a big call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back