Grade your team's draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoenmaker brought some of his underage team mates a beer ( oh no the horror) it's not like he got his neighbours cat pregnant or something ... he'll be fine ..and most probably will end up a steal ...until the Tassie team comes in that is
I tried mixing human and goat DNA once ..... but they threw me out of the Petting Zoo

I'll get my coat

Or that if the crows picked wilson or leake or o'sullivan, it left both curtin and caddy there at geelongs pick and they were content with which one geelong didn't take...or were expecting geelong to take curtin leaving caddy.

Once we took curtin, they were dead worried cats take caddy or maybe cats trade the pick to a side that would take caddy..so they jumped and traded up and to be fair if they really rated caddy, then it was the right move to eliminate the rest of the competition from pulling the rug out from under them.
Yeah thought it was pretty clear that they thought Geelong would take Curtin if available but if not that we'd take caddy. Hence the reaction to taking Curtin was purely that they then expected Caddy to be off the table.

Makes sense that we'd target Caddy too on paper given the age of Hawkins/Cameron compared to SDK/Kolo

Curtin is a severe flight risk, was not going to stay in Melbourne after his 3 year initial contract is up.

Adelaide is considerably closer to Perth than Melbourne, so the Crows have a chance of retaining him, but there is no way North would have passed on Curtin if they didn't think they could get a long term commitment from him.

Caddy is bit of a high risk/high reward selection for the Dons (similar to Tsatas whom I think is unfortunately an inspired selection by Essenon who will be a very very good player)
Adelaide isn't functionally any closer to Perth than anywhere else. You could fit half of western Europe between us and there's nothing in the middle. Once you're on the plane the flight is like maybe 50 minutes longer.

Yeah thought it was pretty clear that they thought Geelong would take Curtin if available but if not that we'd take caddy. Hence the reaction to taking Curtin was purely that they then expected Caddy to be off the table.

Makes sense that we'd target Caddy too on paper given the age of Hawkins/Cameron compared to SDK/Kolo
It begs the question - why didn't Geelong just take Caddy - was getting pick 31 to slide back to Essendon's pick that much of a game changer?

It begs the question - why didn't Geelong just take Caddy - was getting pick 31 to slide back to Essendon's pick that much of a game changer?

We clearly wanted an extra r2 to get mannagh (we had targeted him from a way out and we knew other clubs in the 40s were keen so we had to get in earlier) and still be able to take another player in r2. But that said i dont think we ever would have taken caddy-we already have a better 3rd tall fwd in henry and we have bigger needs in key defence ruck and midfield hence we would have taken curtin and osullivan in that order. I think we simply bluffed essendon into thinking we would take caddy to get the extra pick we wanted and we werent prepared to trade back much beyond 11 as we needed osullivan to be there.

We clearly wanted an extra r2 to get mannagh (we had targeted him from a way out and we knew other clubs in the 40s were keen so we had to get in earlier) and still be able to take another player in r2. But that said i dont think we ever would have taken caddy-we already have a better 3rd tall fwd in henry and we have bigger needs in key defence ruck and midfield hence we would have taken curtin and osullivan in that order. I think we simply bluffed essendon into thinking we would take caddy to get the extra pick we wanted and we werent prepared to trade back much beyond 11 as we needed osullivan to be there.
Maybe so - it seemed watching the Essendon behind the scenes clip, DODO had no idea who the crows were taking when we traded up so wells may well have double bluffed them on Caddy too

If the crows had taken Leake or O'Sullivan, do you think the Cats would have passed on Curtin or taken him?

Maybe so - it seemed watching the Essendon behind the scenes clip, DODO had no idea who the crows were taking when we traded up so wells may well have double bluffed them on Caddy too

If the crows had taken Leake or O'Sullivan, do you think the Cats would have passed on Curtin or taken him?

We would either have taken curtin or traded him for wces future 1st (more likely the former) no way would we have taken caddy ahead of curtin or cos.

I give Essendon an A with the available picks. Addressed the need for a good kick in Roberts (who happened to be a massive slider), some line-breaking speed at HB in Lual, the need for a KPF to play alongside Langford and Wright in Caddy and a developing ruck in the rookie draft.

The only thing that would have made it an A+ is if we selected a big bodied mid to develop. Stevens is the one I wanted. I guess it won't matter much from a depth perspective if Setterfield, Caldwell, Hobbs and Tsatas can stay fit.

To be honest maybe. Wells mentioned that they were set on Mannagh but that his GF performance meant they'd have to use an earlier pick on him. The trade back probably meant they'd be able to stick to their original draft plans with the sav pick rather than reach for him. Take Mannaghs gf performance out and maybe we don't make the trade and select Caddy.

Caddy is a chance to make us look silly, but he's even odds to make Dodo look silly. COS seems a safe bet. Not unhappy with him.

To be honest maybe. Wells mentioned that they were set on Mannagh but that his GF performance meant they'd have to use an earlier pick on him. The trade back probably meant they'd be able to stick to their original draft plans with the sav pick rather than reach for him. Take Mannaghs gf performance out and maybe we don't make the trade and select Caddy.

Caddy is a chance to make us look silly, but he's even odds to make Dodo look silly. COS seems a safe bet. Not unhappy with him.
All fair points. Much pre draft talk was COS, Caddy, Wilson, Leake all being in a similar hitting zone in the draft talent wise. So to take one of them from a talent perspective and at the same time filling a need makes sense. Then getting the extra pick to get your other guy worked well...and to fleece it off of your aeroplane friends would have made it all the sweeter.

Everyone’s talking about the Geelong Essendon trade being a fleecing (and it was to some degree)

But also the success rate that pick 31 has of even being a decent 100 gamer is pretty low.

I know we get excited about picks 30+ at draft time like they matter but on average it takes a pick in the 31-50 range 8.4 years to play 50 games and have a 20 game season and it takes 3 picks in that range to find a 100 gamer.

Essendon needed one of those top tier players not to be a key defender but for geelong it didn’t matter.

In terms of essendons overall draft I’d say a C+ rating

Added a useful tier 1 talent player at a position of need.

Beyond that C- drafted two useful but undersized players.

Shoenmaker brought some of his underage team mates a beer ( oh no the horror) it's not like he got his neighbours cat pregnant or something ... he'll be fine ..and most probably will end up a steal ...until the Tassie team comes in that is
Did a bit more than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh, there's significantly worse behaviour he's accused of but I won't delve further into it in this thread....

Has it not been reported that West Coast had a F1 on the table for Geelong's pick with the intention of taking Caddy? He was clearly Essendon's priority, and so pick 31 was offered to make sure of it. Anyone thinking it's a fleecing with that context is delusional and clueless.

Essendon's draft was an A turned into an A+ post the ridiculous melts from Bulldogs fans over Lual. For a team that benefited from the greatest draft rort of all time, you'd think they should be able to cop that they missed out to a legitimate selection instead of moaning.

There's a bit more to it than that. You may want to research some claims about school bullying...

Has it not been reported that West Coast had a F1 on the table for Geelong's pick with the intention of taking Caddy? He was clearly Essendon's priority, and so pick 31 was offered to make sure of it. Anyone thinking it's a fleecing with that context is delusional and clueless.

Essendon's draft was an A turned into an A+ post the ridiculous melts from Bulldogs fans over Lual. For a team that benefited from the greatest draft rort of all time, you'd think they should be able to cop that they missed out to a legitimate selection instead of moaning.
West Coast would have asked for multiple picks this draft and future drafts for it, that's why 4 different clubs turned down West Coast. Eagles were asking for a haul.

Wells played on Dodo's fears that Caddy would be snapped up and Dodo was desperate for Caddy once Curtain was gone to Adelaide (there's footage posted by Dons Social Media of Dodo on the phone scrambling to move up one spot to get Caddy)

No one is saying he didn't pay up or he didn't make the required moves to get the guy he wanted, what people are saying is the Cats never wanted Caddy and would have taken O'Sullivan anyway at that pick without making any move as they didn't need another tweener Key Forward.
They just knew Dodo was heavily pushing for Caddy and when Dodo offered 31 as the extra price to pay to move up Wells and Mackie couldn't say no as it got another ready made footy player in Mannagh in the door.

Wouldn't call it a fleece like some people are suggesting, i'd just call it doing business.

Dons got Caddy, Cats got COS and Mannagh.
Good deal for both teams.

Everyone’s talking about the Geelong Essendon trade being a fleecing (and it was to some degree)

But also the success rate that pick 31 has of even being a decent 100 gamer is pretty low.

I know we get excited about picks 30+ at draft time like they matter but on average it takes a pick in the 31-50 range 8.4 years to play 50 games and have a 20 game season and it takes 3 picks in that range to find a 100 gamer.
There's no way Cats picked up 26 year old Shaun Mannagh to sit in the VFL?
A guy coming off 28 and 6 goals and BOG in VFL Grand Final no less.

The last time they picked up a mature aged bloke from Weribee who was way older than his cohorts was James Podsiadly and that seemed to work out ok?

He'll be pushing for best 22 right away.

B+?

Pretty happy with how it went. I wanted Wilson with our first pick, so to get him as well as a future second for nothing was a great result.

Collard looked the best available at our next pick, looks like he could be a Charile Cameron type, but there's a risk with the go home factor

Hastie is a very exciting prospect. I know very little about Garcia but he fits a need.

Shoenmaker is a huge talent. Don't know a lot bout the rumours. If they are true it's disappointing, but who knows. Everyone deserves a shot though and with his talent could be the steal of the draft.
You're a hard mark Birdy.
Wilson is one l wanted so I'm happy with that and though a bit meh on Collard he's definitely got talent and at p28 was probably the best still there.
Hastie looks excellent.
Garcia looks good for a pick 50
Shoenmaker an opportunistic roll of the dice.
From our rather average starting position trading up and landing Hastie was a great outcome.
Ditto getting a future 2nd for basically nothing.
I can't see what more we could have gained from this draft.

There's no way Cats picked up 26 year old Shaun Mannagh to sit in the VFL?
A guy coming off 28 and 6 goals and BOG in VFL Grand Final no less.

The last time they picked up a mature aged bloke from Weribee who was way older than his cohorts was James Podsiadly and that seemed to work out ok?

He'll be pushing for best 22 right away.
Plug in and play.

He is playing round 1 and be in majority of SuperCoach teams.

Majority of us are fine with it, we’re more disappointed we got so close to being able to match. The fact we filled major areas of need with Freijah and O’Driscoll left us very happy. Hope Lual goes well and has a long career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back