Who DON'T you want your team to draft? 2023 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take O'Sullivan and Sanders over Watson and Curtin every day of the week.
Watson I would have some concerns over and wouldnt want to use 2-3 on him.
Sanders my concern is small and I think he is definitely a player at AFL. I just think he has a low ceiling. Exclusive inside mids aren’t used as much, he is single geared and I haven’t seen many more strings to his bow. Can mark over head well but horrendous when kicking for goal.
Curtin and Duursma have far higher ceilings but do agree there is bigger risks on them then Sanders. I would be beyond shocked if we called out Sanders on the night.

Fair enough. I just never saw it. Everything I read had him 2nd round at best because he was pretty athletically average. Obviously I am just really happy he made it to our pick. Our starting midfield are all low picks in comparison with the rest of the league, but are holding up well despite also being the youngest midfield.

Our 2017 draft is a legendary tale.

Traded out of the first two rounds to acquire Mitchell and O'Meara the previous year. Copped heat for it everywhere.

Told lifelong Hawthorn fan Dylan Moore that we'd draft him at pick 45 if he was still on the board. We didn't expect Woroel to still be there so we took him instead. Moore manages to slip to 67 and we eventually select him.
Both are best 22 players. One has a B&F. The other is our vice captain and probably should have an All Australian nomination or two to his name by now.

Carlton and St.Kilda both took 2 top 10 selections in that draft and collectively ended up with Paddy Dow, Lachie O'Brien, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield.
Only Clark remains at the club he was drafted to (despite nearly being traded to North Melbourne). One has even been delisted.

The draft isn't an exact science. Development and the correct talent identification is absolutely crucial though.

Traded out of the first two rounds to acquire Mitchell and O'Meara the previous year. Copped heat for it everywhere.

Told lifelong Hawthorn fan Dylan Moore that we'd draft him at pick 45 if he was still on the board. We didn't expect Woroel to still be there so we took him instead. Moore manages to slip to 67 and we eventually select him.
Both are best 22 players. One has a B&F. The other is our vice captain and probably should have an All Australian nomination or two to his name by now.

Carlton and St.Kilda both took 2 top 10 selections in that draft and collectively ended up with Paddy Dow, Lachie O'Brien, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield.
Only Clark remains at the club he was drafted to (despite nearly being traded to North Melbourne). One has even been delisted.

The draft isn't an exact science. Development and the correct talent identification is absolutely crucial though.

It’s funny isn’t it.

Like the bombers being stripped of their first rounder for the drug thing and then getting Zach Merrett late to make up for it.

2017 for north was a classic.

Final round we play Brisbane, loser gets pick 1. If we win we get pick 4. Most north fans wanted to tank, and we win be 70 odd points. We get LDU at 4, dodging Rayner and Dow.

We use our second on some guy named will walker. We complain. He starts off great and in his 3rd game or so has close to 10 possessions and a goal in the first qrt vs Adelaide.

We rejoice.

End of first qrt he bends his knee in half.

We fear an acl, and then get told it’s not an acl, he’s ok and will be rowdy to go day 1 of preseason. We rejoice.

It wasn’t ok however and that injury ruined his career.

And then you watch Tim Kelly, Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan dominate, all of whom went a little after him.

Those Carlton picks ... SOS at his best. I can only dream of how strong gws would have been if we had a proper list manager instead of SOS

I vividly remember that draft it was the second I watched live and Essendon had the pick before us and I was yelling at the TV for them not to take Moore. I figured it was guaranteed they would screw us over. Moore was rated at 12 on the fox footy rankings so it was a huge slide. There’s no doubt we pick well imagine if clarko believed in the draft post 2016 when he himself said he knew we were cooked.

Last edited:
I'm 'out' on Zane Duursma.

Reckon he has 'bust' written all over him.

I am not in on Duursma, purely because I do not think his style of play would be able to be developed at the Swans. To get the best out of him, he needs to end up in an ideal situation (can say that for all draftees but I feel his is playing style is more aligned to this)

I reckon Hawks would be a great landing spot for him.

Duursma doesnt fit Norths needs at all really

Nick Watson is a big need for them given they havnt filled that small forward role in 5+ years at present
Don’t draft for need at pick 3. He is best available. I’m not sure if he makes it at AFL personally but his performances at Coates league and Champs definitely warrant it.
Watson would be a reach at that point. Not a big one though.

Should also note any team in our position isn’t really able to think we have a lot covered. Larkey and daylight for our goal scoring. Not sure why people think this isn’t a need

Don’t draft for need at pick 3. He is best available. I’m not sure if he makes it at AFL personally but his performances at Coates league and Champs definitely warrant it.
Watson would be a reach at that point. Not a big one though.

Should also note any team in our position isn’t really able to think we have a lot covered. Larkey and daylight for our goal scoring. Not sure why people think this isn’t a need
When you got 0 small forwards and 0 tall defenders you have no choice unfortunately

Im referring to all 5 picks etc not just pick 3 itself. You need 2 KPD, 1 small forward in those 5 no matter what
Both our clubs are in a position where you don’t need to do everything in one draft. If Eagles thought they had to fill all their holes this season they would trade 1.

Take a KPD and Maybe key forward with late first rounders. Look for undervalued defenders next off season from other clubs. Next year a long time away for top end of the draft or where we will pick. Small forwards afew options around aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want Zane Zakostelsky, even if he is from WA. He was apparently best on ground in the WAFL colts grand final, but his disposal was awful, by both hand and foot. Might be great at getting first hand/fist to the ball, but he's looking uncomfortably like Zac Dawson to me at this stage.
He's a ruckman who has hardly played KPP, yet everyone has him pegged as a KPP at AFL level. Big risk. BF overrates him IMO

I am not in on Duursma, purely because I do not think his style of play would be able to be developed at the Swans. To get the best out of him, he needs to end up in an ideal situation (can say that for all draftees but I feel his is playing style is more aligned to this)

I reckon Hawks would be a great landing spot for him.
Duursma or Watson at Hawthorn play round 1 and basically the whole year - either would thrive there

Id be disappointed if we took Nick Watson, sans for him winning the rising star and completely changing my mind he is not filling a position of great need
I'd almost regard it as one of our biggest needs.

Strongly built forward, speedy flanker who can defend and kick and a high quality small forward. Gresham and Menzie aren't THAT good. See how Jayden Davey progresses.

I keep changing my opinion daily and while it largely is reliant whoever falls to our pick 22…. Ashton Moir.

He gives me Troy Menzel vibes with his talent, his size, the way that plays and also with some of his borderline non-competitive efforts this year.

Unless he is Mario Balotelli … a little too laconic for my liking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back