Who DON'T you want your team to draft? 2023 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep changing my opinion daily and while it largely is reliant whoever falls to our pick 22…. Ashton Moir.

He gives me Troy Menzel vibes with his talent, his size, the way that plays and also with some of his borderline non-competitive efforts this year.

Unless he is Mario Balotelli … a little too laconic for my liking.

I want Moir cos he gives me Mark LeCras vibes. LeCras was atrocious in his draft year in a similar way but his skills as a forward took over at AFL level once he got better ball use

He doesn't need to be Darcy Moore to be worth drafting in the 20-40 range - Just being a Ratugolea-type defender is good enough.
Rats is mistake prone. He has great highlights where he makes big spoils or contested plays but he constantly finds himself out of position or trying to overdo it which results in big lapses.

People don't realise that the Cats put a tonne of effort into making him an AFL level footballer and were patient throughout his learning curve and injuries, could have given up on him many times. Moved him from ruck and forward when he didn't work there.

That's a lot of time in development and patience you need for a Ratugolea like player.

Rats is mistake prone. He has great highlights where he makes big spoils or contested plays but he constantly finds himself out of position or trying to overdo it which results in big lapses.

People don't realise that the Cats put a tonne of effort into making him an AFL level footballer and were patient throughout his learning curve and injuries, could have given up on him many times. Moved him from ruck and forward when he didn't work there.

That's a lot of time in development and patience you need for a Ratugolea like player.

His kicking is also a massive liability. Have a look at his Gather Round game vs WCE - marked everything, then gave it straight back.

Quicker than I thought over 20m. Okay agility but no great though I thought?

Some players test quick but play slow. That's how he looks to me.

If not, what out hey!
It's a common factor, particularly with kids not knowing the speed of the game, and knowing when to change gears.

Mitch Knevitt for us for instance is an endurance beast, and had a quick 20m, but still looks laconic in movement.

Clearly there was enough interest in him for him to be pursued multiple years in a row by Port, so I'm not sure how any of this points out that projecting to be a Ratugolea type doesn't mean you're not worth drafting in the second/third round.

I dont want the dees to take Curtin (looks slow and average skills and decision making in all of the clips I've seen) or Sanders (no hurt factor).
Curtin has some of the best skills and composure of the entire draft class.

Clearly there was enough interest in him for him to be pursued multiple years in a row by Port, so I'm not sure how any of this points out that projecting to be a Ratugolea type doesn't mean you're not worth drafting in the second/third round.
You're missing the point, i'm agreeing for a 2nd/3rd round type player that's fine but people underrate how much time/effort was put into his development. Don't know how many sides would have stuck by a guy given that many chances that didn't succeed in multiple positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windsor at 6. Makes Jimmy toumpas and cale morton look like contested beasts.

Curtin has some of the best skills and composure of the entire draft class.
By composure and best skills im assuming you mean chip kicks to a uncontested player on the wing after dramatically slowing down the play to get that clean pass?

He has composure for sure... but sometimes too much composure. At AFL level his slow ball movement wont be welcome

Stevens, get Jarrad Jansen sort of vibes, get away with just being bigger than everyone else in junior footy, got too many one paced mids on the list already and dont think the skill set is there to play him anywhere else.

Has to be left to Essendons pick 9.

Id be ropable if my club picked him up myself.
I am comfortable taking him at pick 5 for Hawthorn. In the last 20 years the only player we ever lost we really wanted to keep was Bud, and he didn't even want to leave, he was just offered infinite money from the AFL backed sydney franchise. If our culture is good he will stay. We aren't North.

I am comfortable taking him at pick 5 for Hawthorn. In the last 20 years the only player we ever lost we really wanted to keep was Bud, and he didn't even want to leave, he was just offered infinite money from the AFL backed sydney franchise. If our culture is good he will stay. We aren't North.
Also we just draft his younger brother then job done.

I’m fairly sure you would have preferred to keep Brockman.
And Buddy didn’t just leave for $1m pa.

By composure and best skills im assuming you mean chip kicks to a uncontested player on the wing after dramatically slowing down the play to get that clean pass?

He has composure for sure... but sometimes too much composure. At AFL level his slow ball movement wont be welcome
Have you heard of the word ''coaching'' ?

Curtin seems to have Simon Black syndrome. Black slid to the 30s, not because of what he could do, but because of recruiters' groupthink over his perceived weaknesses.

I'll be very surprised if Curtin doesn't become a star of the comp.

Lance Collard has joined my list on the grounds he was homesick during the national championships. Ollie Henry couldn’t cope with a one hour drive so I’m not sure how Collard will cope with a several hour plane flight.

As if Henry was actually homesick, he used it to get what he wanted, all he needed was a thick skin to put up with the s**t he was going to cop.

Have you heard of the word ''coaching'' ?

Curtin seems to have Simon Black syndrome. Black slid to the 30s, not because of what he could do, but because of recruiters' groupthink over his perceived weaknesses.

I'll be very surprised if Curtin doesn't become a star of the comp.
Agree 100% with the first part but disagree on the word star. Will definetly play 200 games in some shape or form but I think it will just be in that okayish level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back