Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few different individual threads talking about different coaching scenarios,
thought as it's a major discussion topic. The topic could have it's own thread

Would like to get people opinions of what they actually want, please be civil all
posters are allowed an opinion, without the threat of being ganged up on or attacked...

Please if you are going to get rid of a coach please have a replacement..

Personally I'm
Head Coach
Teague - 50/50 - Open to keeping, but not at all sold he is our man... Possible Replacement Clarkson
Worsfold (& Teague) - At the club 100% support - from Perth 30% support... Possible Replacement Lyon

Assistants
Barker - 100% replace, been here 10 years, time for a new face and approach... Possible Replacement (Robert Harvey BIO)
Stanton - 100% replace, our midfield continually smashed run one way and don't connect with our defenders... Possible Replacement (Adam Yze BIO)
Bruce - 100% replace, with a high performing forwards coach... Possible Replacement (Ash Hanse Bulldogs - BIO)
Amos - 100% replace, backline full of individuals who concede way to many points and can not connect with midfield... Possible Replacement ( Justin Leppitsch BIO)
Power - Remain doing well with our VFL Team
O'Keefe - Remain doing well with our VFL Team
Baker - Remain doing well with our VFL Team

Mods please delete if not wanted

Last edited:
assistant coaches need to go that’s obvious. With Teague I don’t think he’s the guy I see being a premiership coach... so why waste time? I would go for Sam Mitchell but that’s not gonna happen I think he’s gonna be a great coach for hawthorn, maybe the pies depending on how it goes. I think you need to get someone whose done it well themselves and has a bit of grunt. Do we give Voss a go? Don’t know his contract status but we need someone whose not mentally weak (not saying Teague is)

Teague, Amos, Power, O'Keefe, Baker & Kreuzer go around again.

Thanks for your time Barker, Stanton & Bruce.

Unsure on Kreuzer as ruck coach, Pitto certainly isn't helping his cause right now, let's see if the perspective changes after De Koning gets a run. Not sure how our midfield/stoppage setup/structure/players are helping either. It's still early days so for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

assistant coaches need to go that’s obvious. With Teague I don’t think he’s the guy I see being a premiership coach... so why waste time? I would go for Sam Mitchell but that’s not gonna happen I think he’s gonna be a great coach for hawthorn, maybe the pies depending on how it goes. I think you need to get someone whose done it well themselves and has a bit of grunt. Do we give Voss a go? Don’t know his contract status but we need someone whose not mentally weak (not saying Teague is)
Yes you are

There are a few different individual threads talking about different coaching scenarios,
thought as it's a major discussion topic. The topic could have it's own thread

Would like to get people opinions of what they actually want, please be civil all
posters are allowed an opinion, without the threat of being ganged up on or attacked...

Please if you are going to get rid of a coach please have a replacement..

Personally I'm
Head Coach
Teague - 50/50 - Open to keeping, but not at all sold he is our man... Possible Replacement Clarkson
Worsfold - At the club 100% support - from Perth 30% support... Possible Replacement Lyon

Assistants
Barker - 100% replace, been here 10 years, time for a new face and approach... Possible Replacement (Robert Harvey BIO)
Stanton - 100% replace, our midfield continually smashed run one way and don't connect with our defenders... Possible Replacement (Adam Yze BIO)
Bruce - 100% replace, with a high performing forwards coach... Possible Replacement (Ash Hanse Bulldogs - BIO)
Amos - 100% replace, backline full of individuals who concede way to many points and can not connect with midfield... Possible Replacement ( Justin Leppitsch BIO)
Power - Remain doing well with our VFL Team
O'Keefe - Remain doing well with our VFL Team
Baker - Remain doing well with our VFL Team

Mods please delete if not wanted
Clarkson is a risky pick. Has shown he is past developing a list. He didn't rate Kennedy, who left and cost Hawthorn a flag in 2012. Would rather see him go to Collingwood. Somehow they appear to be a perfect mix for each other.

Lyon: Wants the big dollars and very experienced credentialed assistants but wants clubs to come after him. If he does not have the guts to come out and announce he wants to coach, then he should not be considered. Suggests he wants a holiday while he earns $1.5m a season. Obviously been speaking to Roos. His time has passed.

Worsfold: The qualified pharmacist who had no idea anybody was taking anything at West Coast. Did a sterling job at Essendon. Prefer others in fact everybody on this list, before I would take him. FIFO coaches do not appeal.

Yze: Why would Yze leave Melbourne for Carlton, unless it was for the top job? Should be seriously considered.

Pike: Got the Crows to a GF and it all fell apart. Has done good things with Sydney. Would on the shortlist.

Voss: The forgotten man of footy. Has been an assistant for a very long time and has learned a lot since his time at Brisbane. He has amassed a very credible resume. Did get the aging Lions to the finals. Midfield knowledge would be invaluable. Must be a strong contender.

Teague: Openly clashed with Bolton and did not agree with his game plan or the way he managed the players. Replaced Bolton who had a 16-61 win/loss. Teague stands at 16/20 win/loss. Attacking game style, but unable to adapt to a slower pace possession style. Players development under Teague has regressed..Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Murphy, McGovern, Williams, O'Brien, Martin, Cunningham, all gone backwards. Places the club in a terrible situation as hard decisions have to be made, and any of the above (except Murphy, McGovern & Williams) could go to another club and become very good players.
Cunningham has so much potential, but they just cannot get it out of him.

Teague is going ok and needs time to evolve this team. If his game plan doesn't evolve then he's in trouble but I think it will.

Need an overhaul of assistants. New ideas etc.

A mix of experience and not long out of the game might be the go.

A few players who might be worth a look.

Harry Taylor, what's he doing, gun player from a good system?

Nathan Buckley if he gets the chop, gets criticised a lot yet he oversaw a rebuild of a team that was a few points away from winning a premiership, his sides downfall is due to aging stars and terrible list management, he'd be good on a line IMO and has assisted in a side that has won a premiership so he must have some good qualities.

Eddie Betts, not sure what sort of coach he will make but his retirement is looming and he could be a handy forward coach.

I'm not sure poaching assistant coaches is something that can really be done without overpaying. Maybe get someone who may wish to move to Victoria. Luke Hodge?

I don't think Ross Lyon would go back to being an assistant, he has a media gig however he would be a good person to have throwing ideas at our current coach. Certainly can formulate a winning defensive strategy.

Some good names already mentioned.

I think we should keep Teague. Simply because we do the offence quiet well. He (and assistants) just need to make some adjustments to get team defense and tempo right.

Hard to know how good the assistants are. This really should be a decision for Teague. He is the hc so let him choose his preferred assistants.

Teague is going ok and needs time to evolve this team. If his game plan doesn't evolve then he's in trouble but I think it will.

Need an overhaul of assistants. New ideas etc.

A mix of experience and not long out of the game might be the go.

A few players who might be worth a look.

Harry Taylor, what's he doing, gun player from a good system?

Nathan Buckley if he gets the chop, gets criticised a lot yet he oversaw a rebuild of a team that was a few points away from winning a premiership, his sides downfall is due to aging stars and terrible list management, he'd be good on a line IMO and has assisted in a side that has won a premiership so he must have some good qualities.

Eddie Betts, not sure what sort of coach he will make but his retirement is looming and he could be a handy forward coach.

I'm not sure poaching assistant coaches is something that can really be done without overpaying. Maybe get someone who may wish to move to Victoria. Luke Hodge?

I don't think Ross Lyon would go back to being an assistant, he has a media gig however he would be a good person to have throwing ideas at our current coach. Certainly can formulate a winning defensive strategy.

Some good names already mentioned.
I heard we appointed Worsfold a few weeks back … has anyone seen him ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppitch more than anyone needs to come.
Get rid of all line coaches.
Can’t see Yze seeing as he just left to go to Melbourne.

Robert Harvey in midfield I agree would be a good choice, was moved to the backline at Collingwood this year because they lost Boyd to freo and may be keen to leave

Spill all the assistant roles and have them re-interview. Amos, Power, O'Keefe my preference to stay.

Thank Worsfold and pay him for his review but look to reinstate Henry Playfairs' role as director of coaching as full time position (he may not be keen after we ditched him during covid but the role should exist)

Look at targeted skills coaches on contracts to fit under the soft cap.

I'd review the fitness, rehab and medical teams by an outside party.

Clarkson is a risky pick. Has shown he is past developing a list. He didn't rate Kennedy, who left and cost Hawthorn a flag in 2012. Would rather see him go to Collingwood. Somehow they appear to be a perfect mix for each other.

This is one of the silliest thing you have said, the players they received from the Kennedy trade won 4 premierships (3 and 1) between them.

Kennedy developed in to the player he did, because he left and was given space to develop, something he wouldn’t have got at Hawthorn, if he had of stayed and developed, he would possibly would have pushed another out.

Though, would like to here yours or anyone's opinion on, why keep Amos over other assistants when we have the 4th worst defence in the league, good players shambles of a defence...

I think defence is doing quite well and most of the pressure is from a lack of defence in transition up the field.

If there's a better option than I'm open to it though.

I think we should keep Teague. Simply because we do the offence quiet well. He (and assistants) just need to make some adjustments to get team defense and tempo right.

Hard to know how good the assistants are. This really should be a decision for Teague. He is the hc so let him choose his preferred assistants.
How many goals did we kick against Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back