MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

'Haven't achieved anything yet': Neale sprays 'lazy'

Neale will contest a striking charge, via written submission, he received for a third-quarter incident involving Carlton midfielder George Hewett.

The dual Brownlow medallist said it was "strange" that Hewett's act was graded as careless and his intentional.

No mention of pushing Kennedy into Cripps, the gouging or any of the other things he was carrying on with on Friday night.

Neale will contest a striking charge, via written submission, he received for a third-quarter incident involving Carlton midfielder George Hewett.

The dual Brownlow medallist said it was "strange" that Hewett's act was graded as careless and his intentional.

"I feel I probably didn't deserve a fine so we might fight that and see how it goes," Neale said.

"If the umpire paid a free kick, I might not have retaliated. I got a bit of a whack high."

🙄

No mention of pushing Kennedy into Cripps, the gouging or any of the other things he was carrying on with on Friday night.
This goes to show you the intellect of the fella.... if I was Brisbane hierarchy I'd be telling him to thanks his stars he won't miss a game because the optics on some of his other "antics" during the game don't go down too well in the sportmanship stakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I feel I probably didn't deserve a fine so we might fight that and see how it goes," Neale said.

"If the umpire paid a free kick, I might not have retaliated. I got a bit of a whack high."

🙄

No mention of pushing Kennedy intoCripps, the gouging or any of the other things he was carrying on with on Friday night.

What a douchebag. He should shut up if he doesn't want scrutiny on the false tough guy 💩 he dished up.

Though it's almost irrelevant to the AFL tribunal which is effectively a law unto itself, it is common practice to push for a charge to be thrown out as it was in an act of self-defence.
The counterargument is whether it is necessary - in an exchange of jumper/light punches, you could argue, probably not.

10.4 Self-defence​

(1) A person is not criminally responsible for an offence if he or she carries out the conduct constituting the offence in self- defence.
(2) A person carries out conduct in self-defence if and only if he or she believes the conduct is necessary:

1. (a) to defend himself or herself or another person;
  2. (b) to prevent or terminate the unlawful imprisonment of himself or herself or another person; or
  3. (c) to protect property from unlawful appropriation, destruction, damage or interference; or
  4. (d) to prevent criminal trespass to any land or premises; or
  5. (e) to remove from any land or premises a person who is committing criminal trespass;
    and the conduct is a reasonable response in the circumstances as he or she perceives them.
Circumstances in which there is no criminal responsibility
Note the word 'necessary'. You do not get a "free hit" if someone strikes you first. You'll need to convince a jury (if it gets to court) that your act is genuinely one of self-defence.

What a pack of sooks some of those Lions players. Neale, Zorko, Cameron happy to cross the line but cry fowl when they get a bit coming back the other way
This, only a lot.

I'd like to do an audit of Zorko's career, see if I can get stats on his performances at home versus away as well as stats on goals from free kicks. But I've been waiting for the latter on Dean Cox for years and haven't gotten anywhere, so...

Putting aside team colours and who the players were, if the AFL was serious about cleaning up the game, both players should have been given a weeks rest and it would then set a precedent that they would not be putting up with this sort of rubbish, get it out of the game. One player went high and the other went back harder with a punch to the ribs. This trickles down to the lower levels.

🙄

Think Neale should be focusing on learning how to handball the ball legally after Friday

Putting aside team colours and who the players were, if the AFL was serious about cleaning up the game, both players should have been given a weeks rest and it would then set a precedent that they would not be putting up with this sort of rubbish, get it out of the game. One player went high and the other went back harder with a punch to the ribs. This trickles down to the lower levels.
Yep, George probably a bit lucky under the new interpretation - although Laura Kane had an interesting spin on it when she was interviewed on The Couch last night. Either way, I'm sick to death of the those grubby gut punches that have crept into the game over the past few years and players getting away with.

Cameron gave Gov a couple on the weekend - none of them resulted in a free or were even cited after the game. Pathetic by the player, the umpires and the MRO.

If they want to get serious stamping out this rubbish, either slap some big fines on them which increase with each misdemeanor - or slap an automatic week. I guarantee it'd disappear pretty quickly.

Cameron gave Gov a couple on the weekend - none of them resulted in a free or were even cited after the game. Pathetic by the player, the umpires and the MRO.
More concerned about a couple of his tackles into the ribs with the shoulder on McGovern, especially the one which was a bit late on the boundary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back