MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn’t introduced for late contact, and that’s not the rule. You’re not allowed to make front-on contact in a marking contest, late or early.
If Toby didn’t turn his body, and kept his arms out going for the mark, that’s what would have happened.
Only if he doesn't impact the ball, right?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wasn’t introduced for late contact, and that’s not the rule. You’re not allowed to make front-on contact in a marking contest, late or early.
If Toby didn’t turn his body, and kept his arms out going for the mark, that’s what would have happened.

I’m sorry but that isn’t 100% accurate.

You can make front on contact late, early or whenever as long as the ball is your SOLE focus.

In this case Boyd is 100% going for the ball, so the front on contact in a marking contest rule does not apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to be assuming that Boyd doesn't hold onto the mark if Toby doesn't turn his body and smash Boyd in the head though? He already has the ball in his hands when the contact occurs. Even without the mark I am not sure front- on contact applies when Boyd already has both hands on the ball in an attempted mark. Toby turned his body because he was a fraction too late to the marking contest and he knew it.

This aside, my main point was more that it was a dumb statement from Lansberger that Boyd should not go in that situation. If there's a strong chance that you can beat your opponent to a marking contest then both your team mates and your coach would expect you to go.

Last edited:
It's not really that tough, it's just that the AFL insists on not defining things explicitly. That way they can control outcomes according to their own desires, and not based on the facts of any given case.

I would have thought that the wording for rule determining these suspensions is something like:

"In a contested situation where one player is likely to make forceful contact with another, once either player chooses not to contest the ball, they then have a duty of care toward the other player. If they fail in this duty of care by causing - or potentially causing - serious injury to the player contesting the ball, then they have committed a reportable offence."

What gets me about all of the debate around cases like this is that no-one will acknowledge that it's always the same players that end up in these situations. The Toby Greens, Kosi Picketts et al, are somehow always the ones who are involved. People talk about a player's "instincts" - but I would argue that for some players their instincts are toward the man, and further, they are toward hurting the other player. Whereas genuine ball players, eg, Crippa, Fyfe, Bont etc, do not find themselves in these situations.
Don't agree with that, Cripps has found himself in that position, Peter Wright, Lachie Ploughman, Liam Baker were all accidental contact when 2 players are going for the ball and this will continue to happen in a competitive contact sport.

Green is a clown, always has, always will be, Pickett has carried out his bump 3 times and each suspension should have warranted an extra week, but the AFL have removed the previous record being taken into account.

I think the AFL is just trying to stipulate that if you leave the ground (go airborne) towards another player you are legitimately going the contest. I can't fathom how some don't see Toby's action.

Go into your backyard and imagine you're in Toby's position now and think about the action you are going to take to either mark or punch the ball. Note what your arms do. As you lift off the ground your arms raise almost instantaneously in preparation for the action. Toby is all nicely safely tucked in from the onset, he was going the hip and shoulder/collision which the outcome has been on the onus of the offender for a while now.

I even did it in slow motion and only in slow motion was I able to pirouette out of Boyds way

Wright = didn't make a play at the ball.
Greene = didn't make a play at the ball.
Even still the AFL has consistently stated that even accidental head contact will be seen as punishable via the MRO.
That there is inconsistency just further confirms what is already known, that the existing judicial setup is flawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back